Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
C
cotis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Some of you may remember my post from 6 weeks ago where my new-in-box $1,500 VX-6 3-18x50mm CDS-ZL blah blah blah scope had a canted reticle. I posted a photo of it, it was blatantly obvious.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...pold-fail-this-past-weekend#Post12379988

So I send the scope in to Leupold with a VERY clear description (and link to photo) of the problem. Here is what I sent to them:

"Purchased beginning of year, opened this weekend to mount on my new rifle. Was very disappointed to see that the reticle was rotated clockwise relative to elevation turret. I have a photo of it on my private Imgur account. My other two VX-6s are definitely not like this." https://i.imgur.com/9sbcycY.jpg

I received the scope back tonight and this was the brilliant [bleep] work Leupold did. Said they couldn't find anything, didn't call me, spun the turrets side-to-side, and sent the same [bleep] problem right back to me. Not acceptable, but I could stomach it if it was a $250 VX-1, but to fail TWICE on one of their "flagship" products is just BS. For the past few years I have spent on average a few thousand dollars a year on optics. Even more relevant, I advise all my friends and co-workers as they seem to always ask me what they should purchase for their projects. I can tell you what I WON'T be recommending to them from now on.

[Linked Image]

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Been there, done that and got the t-shirt. I have moved on from Leupold.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by devnull
Been there, done that and got the t-shirt. I have moved on from Leupold.

+1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
That’s horrible. And every day their reputation gets worse and worse...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That's crazy. So the CS is down the tubes now too, eh?

I'd send it back a second time and see what they do?

IC B2

OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The recent Leupold hate is hard to fathom. I have filled several freezers with meat and have a shelf of silhouette trophies that I earned using their scopes. No failures ever in a few dozen of their scopes, over 4+ decades. Is this all very recent production?

I don’t mean to discount anyone’s personal experiences, but it’s difficult to match up based on my own.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw three different Leupolds fail on the silhouette line this past year alone. Including a 1" 8.5-25 x 40 on my centerfire. Frustrating to say the least.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Leupold allows up to 3 degrees of reticle cant. Your scope is within their acceptable range.

Welcome to Leupold.

OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Is there a relationship between scope caps and reticles being exactly vertical or 90° from each other. Just trying to understand the real problem

C
cotis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by OdT
Is there a relationship between scope caps and reticles being exactly vertical or 90° from each other. Just trying to understand the real problem

Absolutely! On a 2nd focal plane scope (which this is), the reticle is mounted in a tube within a tube. Looking through the scope, the elevation turret is at 12 o'clock, windage at 3 o'clock. They push against the inner tube and there is a leaf spring at 7:30 which opposes the force of the two turrets. A scope can get away with a canted reticle if it is static, i.e. there is not a provision for "dialing" elevation or windage. If you level the canted reticle, any adjustment on elevation/windage produces movement on the other. If you level the elevation turret, it will track properly but you have to live the canted reticle, which is only valid for the center of the crosshairs. Any vertical or horizontal hashes will be off, albeit minimal at reasonable distances. None of this is acceptable on a scope which costs this much money.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They better make this right and real right. What a joke.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
3 degrees of acceptable error? Wow. Not having ever put a scope together I can't say I know what method they use to install the reticle correctly. Since they have an acceptable error of 3 degrees their process is not acceptable to anyone that I know on this forum.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
So, if I understand this correctly, with your reticle canted slightly, do they want you to square it in the rings and carry on? If they aren't going to align it, you'll have to ignore the outside of the scope and square it with a reticle leveller.

For what you paid, I would have expected better.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the warning. Sorry it happened to you.

Have been looking for a new scope and have thought of a new Leupold. Not now. This after reading a test article where the tester, of a rifle IIRC, had to send a new Leupold back with the same problem, glossed over by mentioning their customer service...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I had nothing but good service from Leupold. but for 1500 dollars for their flagship scope , they better make it right. call and speak to a rep.....good luck

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I had nothing but good service from Leupold. but for 1500 dollars for their flagship scope , they better make it right. call and speak to a rep.....good luck

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Leupold allows up to 3 degrees of reticle cant. Your scope is within their acceptable range.
Welcome to Leupold.

Curiosity got the best of me from the OP's other thread.

And....sure enough. Tis why I always level the reticle, not the turrets.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn! I only have one Leupold I twist, it's an old 6.5-20x50 Long Range, it's been fail safe for over 15 years I guess, now paranoid, I'm gonna run it some more to make sure, ASAP.

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've been singing this song for over five years, probably closer to 10. Use to take a beating around here for it. Good to see the 'fire coming around. grin

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Maybe your singing doesn't sound good? Grin.....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 56 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,653
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.