Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Who in the hell reads what these gunwriters write let alone take it to heart?

And I despise the .270....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
HR IC

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I enjoyed the read. It reminds me of some of the stuff that Askins Jr. used to write about the 30-06. I always chuckled when he called it a "pipsqueak" and said that it was for those who had lace on their panties.

I know the '06 is a good cartridge, and will work on 98 percent of the world's game animals, but I don't care for it.

Towsley's article will or did generate hate mail for at least 6 months.

Regardless, the 270 WCF is a good cartridge and kills game with aplomb. (especially if loaded with the 130 grain Partition.)

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty funny. Glad my dad had the sense to make my first rifle a 280. I've never had to suffer using a 270.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by BradArnett
Pretty funny. Glad my dad had the sense to make my first rifle a 280. I've never had to suffer using a 270.

Preach it....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yawn. Towsley.

Even his controversy pieces are gruel.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bryce M. Towsley
Why I Hate the .270
by Bryce M. Towsley - Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Opinion: Why I Hate the .270

Why do I hate the .270 Winchester? Well perhaps for the same reasons I dislike fish dinners, smart cars and rap music—they just are not to my taste.

So he doesn’t like them because he doesn’t like them. Must be some real meat in there somewhere…

First off, the .270 is too popular, and I have always disliked running with the crowd. I usually find the misfits of the world much more interesting, but I can’t make that argument and still talk about how much I like the even more popular .30-06 Springfield without embracing hypocrisy.

At least he admits he is a hypocrite. In my experience, things generally don’t become popular unless they work or fill a need, - which, based on its popularity, the .270 Win appears to do. I’ve always thought it one of the best choices for a dedicated deer rifle - and still do. It makes no more sense to ‘hate’ a .270 Win than it does to ‘hate’ a popular model of automobile.

The .270 Win. was an orphan for 20 years. Then for the next 56 years, its only sibling was a stepbrother, the .270 Weatherby Magnum. The latter is a good cartridge, perhaps even a great cartridge, but it has never enjoyed the commercial success of the .270 Winchester.

Based on popularity, I’d say he has it exactly backwards – the .270 Win is one of a few ‘great’ cartridges while the .270 WBY is merely a ‘good’ cartridge.

My guess is that if the .270 Win. were introduced into today’s “make-or-break” market, it likely would never have survived. Its eventual success is attributed to the writings of Jack O’Connor, who is often quoted as saying he thought the .30-06 was a better cartridge.]/quote]
He may be right about how the .270 Win would be received today, but there is also more competition from other cartridges than there was when the .270 Win became popular. Still, the .270 remains ner the top of the most popular cartridges based on ammo sales while some of those others are dead on the vine.

[quote]It’s said that foolish people get their opinions from others, but intelligent people form opinions from multiple sources, including their experiences. My experiences with the .270 Win. have not been very impressive.

And then he provides his experiences with the .270 Win, in what – hopes that his opinion will sway other people, who, in his words, would be fools if it did?

The first time …
Years later, …
Several years later…
I have plenty of other experiences with the .270 Win. that were also less than impressive …
I used to do a lot of black bear hunting in Canada …

… I’ve had better luck with a .243 Win. than with the .270 Win. ...

I’m not one to believe in magic cartridges or fairy dust. If a .243 Win can work there is no reason a .270 Win cannot work as well or better if fed with proper bullets.

But maybe such reasoning is old-fashioned and the .270 Win is as obsolete as the .30-06.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GregW

Preach it....

These are either the most funny or most ridiculous responses.
Using equal bullets per cartridge --- you can't tell ANY difference.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Say what you will, but .277 is odd.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Coyote H, you are spot on !

I think the article was written to evoke responses and draw attention. His content, as you clearly pointed out,
is full of contradictions.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Say what you will, but .277 is odd.

Someone of renoun says, it's the TRUE 7mm.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by moosemike
Why is anyone surprised? Bryce is the modern day Elmer Keith. He only trusts medium to large bore magnums.

He must be from Alabama. Every redneck here thinks he needs at least a 300 win mag to hunt deer. The rifle of choice, Browning,gag!

Vermont. And that really takes the surprise out of it for me. I've spent a good deal of time in VT and the worst things I've ever heard said about the .270 Winchester were said by Vermonters. Evidently it's not unheard of at all to lose a deer in that brush choked dense forest up there because the .270 didn't drop him on the spot and didn't leave a blood trail. I've ran into that in PA too but our woods aren't as thick so you're not as likely to lose an animal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The last 3 black bears I shot with the 270 Win and 160 gr Partition bullets didn't like at all how the 270 worked. Dropped them quickly and no bullets recovered. I had a hankering for years to get a left hand 280 Rem but those are quite hard to find. About 3-4 years ago I decided to finally give the much easier to find 270 Win a good look and am happy I did, easy to find both guns and ammo and there are lots of great bullets for reloading. Of course over time if you keep your eyes open you eventually realise there isn't any difference in killing power between similar sized cartridges. Still would spring for the right 280 though but the 270 ain't going anywhere.

Gerry.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
So, any Southpaws who might be tempted to run out and throw all your .270's in the dumpster, take a breath and shoot me a PM. I'll pay shipping to take them off your hands ... wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Orion2000
So, any Southpaws who might be tempted to run out and throw all your .270's in the dumpster, take a breath and shoot me a PM. I'll pay shipping to take them off your hands ... wink

Great, I'll take the lefties in Canada then smile

Gerry.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’m a 270 fan. I’ve ran around in circles trying to find something better as an all around whitetail cartridge, but have yet to find nirvana. Some kick less, some kick more. Some use more powder, some use less powder. Funny, but all others are still compared to the 270 as the performance standard.

Zero to five hundred, it does all I need doing. (Several other cartridges do too)

And I’ve not killed anything with a 270 in quite a few years! It’s still one of my favorites.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After decades of hunting and shooting whitetail here in Missouri with just about every caliber out there, I can say with a straight and honest face, there is not much out there that isn’t a decent whitetail cartridge when used within its perimeters. The 270 is way above average in my book as a whitetail round.. my .02 on the matter anyway.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 12/14/17.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by GregW

Preach it....

These are either the most funny or most ridiculous responses.
Using equal bullets per cartridge --- you can't tell ANY difference.

Jerry

This is serious stuff we are talking about here. 0.007" is no laughing matter.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
He needs to detach his sap sucker lips from those maple trees up in v'mont, sure he's in the throes of a diabetic coma. smirk

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I’m a 270 fan. I’ve ran around in circles trying to find something better as an all around whitetail cartridge, but have yet to find nirvana. Some kick less, some kick more. Some use more powder, some use less powder. Funny, but all others are still compared to the 270 as the performance standard.

Yep, the very same here Darrick. Some things we just have to experience for ourselves to be convinced.
There are other good, dependable deer cartridges but as you said the 270 is the standard others are compared against.

I actually bought my first Rem 700 BDL 270 W before I knew JOC championed it as he did. It made me feel good to read of his accomplishments.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmmmmm, one more writer to write off. grin

After a couple hundred critters with cartridges ranging from 222 to 50 caliber muzzleloaders and most everything in between. Prairie dogs to elk, I am of the opinion that the 270 with a 130gr bullet, or that ballistic range of cartridges is about as good as you can get for deer sized game.

I personally do not like the 243 or the 7mm RM. Here is my experience with those two cartridges.

My first year deer hunting I shot a deer with a 243 and never recovered it, second year I shot a spike buck that did know it was shot...until it died, thought I missed. Then there was the fuggin idiot who talked down my 270 whick killed like Thor's Hammer crazy, while he went on to miss and wound multiple deer with his wonderful 7mm RM. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. cool

Arcus Venator
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1936M71, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,473
Posts18,489,910
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.