Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by buntingmiester
ABSOLUTE WORST.............AMC GREMLIN

Going back a bit further, my buddy had a Chevy Corvair. With the rear engine near the drive wheels, and the low center of gravity, it did real good as long as there wasn't more than a couple of inches of snow.

The car had low ground clearance, and there was a smooth, flat pan under the whole bottom of the car, it seemed. It only took 3 or 4 inches of snow for that pan to ride up on top of the snow and lift the rear wheels off the pavement. The car would come to a stop, with the rear wheels spinning in air.

Sort of like the turtle on the fencepost. For that reason, my vote for worst snow car goes to the Chevy Corvair.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best snow/ice vehicle I ever owned was a 1963 Series II Land Rover, long wheel base, diesel/manual. I pulled many unfortunate motorists out of ditches with that truck - it was unstoppable. The worst vehicle I ever owned was a 1999 Jaguar XJ8, but it sure was purty (and it completely sucked in the snow and ice).

Last edited by High_Noon; 12/15/17.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ll drive the skandic

Lil toytotas with blizzaks work good.

While I’ve not owned one myself, sis has one Lil Subaru’s are ba in snow

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I have been stuck in snow and in the ditch on ice as many times as most people.

When my brother and I were both in our early 20's we bought a 1977 Olds Toronado. Big old 2 door coupe that happened to be front wheel drive. Had a big block in it as well.

Drove it all over MT and north ID.

Awesome highway drift buster.

A lot of weight over the drive wheels in those tornadoes!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Yes, the Suburban is better balanced than a pickup. Put weight in a pickup and then it's a wash.

My old '81 Toyota Hilux with a half ton of coal in the bed and rear wheel chains was able to push through bumper-high snow one Christmas.

I didn't unload the coal until the roads improved.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by buntingmiester
ABSOLUTE WORST.............AMC GREMLIN

I don't know what this guys on about-Gremlins worked great in WI winter weather. Just get 'em going as fast as possible, shunt them into a ditch when still near town ideally, pull the plates, and walk on home. Don't worry about the car, the plow drivers crushed them for you, just buy another POS Gremlin or Pacer for $50. It was all part of being a young guy in the upper midwest in the '80s.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I have been stuck in snow and in the ditch on ice as many times as most people.

When my brother and I were both in our early 20's we bought a 1977 Olds Toronado. Big old 2 door coupe that happened to be front wheel drive. Had a big block in it as well.

Drove it all over MT and north ID.

Awesome highway drift buster.

A lot of weight over the drive wheels in those tornadoes!

Until a cop stopped you and MADE you move the tire chains to the back wheels, "because that is where the law says they have to be".

Had a couple friends of the family who drove Tornados and El Dorados back in the mid 60s through early 70s, before anyone knew what FWD was. One of them had to cross Cabbage on I84 with the chains on the back end because a State Trooper had sub human intelligence.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The best in the snow was a 1998 Nissan Pathfinder. The worst was a 2006 Ford Ranger. If a dog peed on the rear tire it would spin the tire on the wet spot. Didn't keep that one long.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Hard to beat a Subaru in the snow. Most of them have a surprising amount of ground clearance. I’m just sick of fixing mine though.

2wd pickups suck azz in anything slick. Especially compact trucks. Better have chains and some ballast if you want to get anywhere.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Why do you guys think that the Suburban seems so much better than a pickup? Is it the weight distribution?

Also, are the Honda CRV accolades only for the all-wheel drive version?

yea, actually I didn't know there wasn't an AWD version

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bobg
The best in the snow was a 1998 Nissan Pathfinder. The worst was a 2006 Ford Ranger. If a dog peed on the rear tire it would spin the tire on the wet spot. Didn't keep that one long.

I got rid of an S-10 because it would fish tail as soon as the road got wet - and I wasn't an aggressive driver. That back end was just too light. Yes I could have put weight back there but it was ridiculous.

I remember as kids we used to sit around dissing Ford or Chevy or Dodge and a big argument among us - as if 11 year old boys knew what they were talking about - was that 4WD was really 3WD because on 1 wheel in the back was spinning. I don't think we knew about posi track or limited slip being 11 years old in 1977 but I've always wondered if modern 4wd still worked that way versus AWD distributing power where/when needed.

Last edited by KFWA; 12/16/17.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by cooper57m
The consensus of many experts (and my experience concurs) is that the Subaru AWD system is unbeatable for snow. My new Forester is so far no different. It's supposed to be even better going up and down tough grades with it's X Mode (which my old Outback did not have.) I had a front wheel drive Toyota Tercel in my early days that was pretty good in the stuff too.

As long as the factory supplied tires aren't on it. My gal's 2016 Forester had the worse (and arguably the most dangerous) tires on slick roads I've ever driven--including bald tires........

That is why I took the OEM tires off my new 2018 Forester which I bought in October. I had read that they were not good in winter conditions, even though they were AT tires. I put on the Nokian snow tires and have been out in 2 snow storms and love them. I'd rather have a FWD car with good winter tires than an AWD vehicle with ATs or all-seasons. It's more about the tires than the cars, but an AWD SUV with good ground clearance and great winter tires will go thru just about everything so long as the driver has a clue about how to drive in winter conditions (slow down and start gentle braking early).

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Alaskajim
Originally Posted by Vek
The 5-speed manual Forester with studs that my wife drove around when we lived in Anchorage was quite noteworthy. Subaru AWD is different for manual vs auto trans - the manual is full mechanical (no brains no headaches, power when you want it) but the auto wants to do too much for you, to the point of pulling all power when you're trying to cross a busy intersection and it senses enough slippage...screw that. You couldn't pay me to drive an auto Subaru.

I agree. We had a Forester that tried its damndest to kill me on a slippery road. If the traction control wasn't disabled the bastard would just creep out into an intersection trying to figure out which wheels should get power. One real close call of that and I sold it next day to a Lesbian. That thing scared the hell out of me, and I never got used to the fuel fill on the wrong side. Built like a pop can. Used more oil than a Deere 70. Tires were wearing badly at 20k. I don't miss it. Replaced it with a Sequoia, 10x the vehicle, wife loves it. Me and that Forester never got along, other people I've talked to love theirs.

All you had to do is get rid of the cheap OEM tires. Of the 3 vehicles in our family (Subaru Forester, Kia Optima, Hyundai Elantra) ALL have had their OEM tires replaced within the first year (my Subaru and the Elantra were replaced within a couple months). If you had put either dedicated winter tires on that Forester or, the Nokian all-weather tires, your experience would have been quite different. I don't understand the thinking of car companies saving a few bucks by putting such crappy tires on their vehicles. I now assume whenever buying a new vehicle that the tires will be replaced very quickly after purchase. I've had a manual Outback, an auto Outback and now an auto Forester. All have been great in snow with good tires. I've never got stuck, never spun out, never had an accident due to conditions, never felt unsafe while driving any of them. Regarding that creeping, sounds like you should have taken it to the dealer. I've never experienced anything like that in any of my Subarus or those my friends drive. It is not a usual situation.

Worst car I ever owned (on snow or any road condition) was a 1973 AMC Hornet. When I owned that POS I could barely afford the cheapest budget tires that I had on it, so that had a lot to do with it, but it was just a bad car all around.

Last edited by cooper57m; 12/16/17.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Remember the old AMC Eagle?

Used to see them a lot in PA when I was a kid and visiting.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We just sold a 2008 Outback that I drove for years and eventually handed down to my son...Pretty hard to beat for winter driving.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They might be the best snow vehicle going, but I could never overcome the stigma of being seen in a Lezbaru.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Windfall;
Good morning to you sir, I hope that the week treated you okay and this finds you well.

Having grown up in a spot on the planet where there was often snow 5 months a year - Saskatchewan - and then spending the last 33 years in BC where we usually have only one month of snow, but all the roads are either going up or down and ditches don't exist - I'd have to suggest there's snow and then there's snow, you know?

In Saskatchewan where it got cold and the roads were pool table flat, as long as you stayed between the ditches almost any heavy vehicle would work with a variety of rubber. Even off road our '80 Toyota 4x4 pickup worked great there, but was sprung a bit too stiff for the BC skidder haul roads to be great in the snow.

Currently in our yard, there's one daughter's CRV, another daughter's Cherokee, wife's Forester and the family pickup is a Dodge diesel with snow flake/mountain rated snow tires and limited slip rear diff. That's handy because when it snows, without AWD/4WD we get to stay in the yard otherwise.

Said driveway - 105 meters with an honest 24 meters of drop from the main road to the house....
[Linked Image]

The Subaru kicks everything else's butt reasonably convincingly there - well not this - but it's not a car even by Canuck standards. whistle
[Linked Image]

It's interesting to me as a Canuck in that if I'd not have been a member of the 'Fire I would never have known about the link between Subaru and the gay community as they either didn't run those adds up here or I didn't pay any attention to them. With regard to my utilitarian transport, I'm inclined toward the same stance we took with mountain horses which was "pretty is as pretty does".

So far my good wife hasn't left me for an alternate lifestyle because of driving that Forester, but I suppose now it's another thing I can stress over. wink

Anyway sir, sorry for being characteristically long winded, but again to summarize, there's snow and then there's snow. If you're travelling 7% grades to get to work and those roads are more like oatmeal poured onto a glass coffee table than not, then that's what we use up here. Dittos on the good tires too of course - Firestone Winterforce are the family favorite now, but Nokian and Blizzak are good too, just a bit more money.

All the best to you and all my campfire friends this Christmas Season whether it's snowy white or not.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 12/16/17. Reason: edited drop from main road to house

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Windfall
We had 9.5 inches of snow here at the house on Wednesday and yesterday I took a short road trip and saw at least a dozen cars and trucks still stuck in the ditches. People do forget how to drive in this stuff, but that said, some cars and trucks are more prone than others to spinning out and ending up in the ditch. What did surprise me a little was the number of trucks and two Avalanche's in that mix yesterday. The whole eastern half of the country had bad snow last week and lots of the southern states don't have the big road equipment or salt/sand trucks to help with the slippery road conditions. My vote for the worst slippery condition car goes to the Pontiac Grand Prix as I've seen more of those in the ditch than any other model. My old Saab 99 was my best snow car. How do you see it?

This works even on ice https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...d/Number/59593/filename/plow24hrsize.jpg

Last edited by baltz526; 12/16/17.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Windfall
We had 9.5 inches of snow here at the house on Wednesday and yesterday I took a short road trip and saw at least a dozen cars and trucks still stuck in the ditches. People do forget how to drive in this stuff, but that said, some cars and trucks are more prone than others to spinning out and ending up in the ditch. What did surprise me a little was the number of trucks and two Avalanche's in that mix yesterday. The whole eastern half of the country had bad snow last week and lots of the southern states don't have the big road equipment or salt/sand trucks to help with the slippery road conditions. My vote for the worst slippery condition car goes to the Pontiac Grand Prix as I've seen more of those in the ditch than any other model. My old Saab 99 was my best snow car. How do you see it?

I drove from Kewaunee to Marinette WI in that blizzard. LOTS of cars in the ditch and more than one took out a highway sign. Almost all of them were SUV/4x4 types that were driving way too fast for their brakes.

I made the trip in a former cop car. The limited slip was my friend tho my tires are shot (actually replacing them today). That car with it's big ass and ability to spin the tires on both legs kept me going fine and got me through quite a bit.

Me

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1941USMC, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 42 invisible), 2,249 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,286
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.