Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
1993 Ford F-250 4x4.

7.3 IDI Turbo with a 5 speed.

1993 Tele-Dec bale bed.

Snow eating fool.

Same pickup with a 460 and an auto.......stuck all the time.

I took the bed off the 460 and put it on the diesel.

I am MAGA.
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Suburban with good tires is hard to beat.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's how my 89 year old uncle plows his driveway. He might be a redneck...

[Linked Image]

The best part? It's a lease.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Honda CR-V with studded tires.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Windfall
We had 9.5 inches of snow here at the house on Wednesday and yesterday I took a short road trip and saw at least a dozen cars and trucks still stuck in the ditches. People do forget how to drive in this stuff, but that said, some cars and trucks are more prone than others to spinning out and ending up in the ditch. What did surprise me a little was the number of trucks and two Avalanche's in that mix yesterday. The whole eastern half of the country had bad snow last week and lots of the southern states don't have the big road equipment or salt/sand trucks to help with the slippery road conditions. My vote for the worst slippery condition car goes to the Pontiac Grand Prix as I've seen more of those in the ditch than any other model. My old Saab 99 was my best snow car. How do you see it?

It's mostly about the tires.......and the drivers.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The most fun I've ever had on hard packed snow was in the Audi TT AWD with Pirelli snow tires I bought for my ex. It was like glue on the ice and snow. Almost impossible to make it break traction. Of course, it would high center if two kids had a snowball fights.... but on ice..... it would flat out GO.

Second best was the Honda CR-V. Third was the Dodge Cummins. A lot of fun pulling people out of ditches without ever hitting the throttle. My son and I set a record of 7 vehicles in 40 miles, all under an hour and a half. I'd stop the truck, he'd jump out with the tow strap, and by the time I'd have the truck lined up, he'd have the car hooked and we'd walk them out.

In the end though, most of the winter driving is not about getting going, but about getting stopped. I drive around in a 2wd Tacoma all winter (on Blizzaks), and unless it gets totally nuts bad out there, I go anywhere a 4wd pickup goes. But I don't slide off the road when I brake.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JOG

The best part? It's a lease.

Seriously?!!!! That's hilarious! laugh laugh laugh

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
ABSOLUTE WORST.............AMC GREMLIN

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Suburban with good tires is hard to beat.

That is my experience. Keep one in north Idaho along with a 4WD F150. The latter truly pales, even with weight in the bed, compared to the 'burb.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by cooper57m
The consensus of many experts (and my experience concurs) is that the Subaru AWD system is unbeatable for snow. My new Forester is so far no different. It's supposed to be even better going up and down tough grades with it's X Mode (which my old Outback did not have.) I had a front wheel drive Toyota Tercel in my early days that was pretty good in the stuff too.

As long as the factory supplied tires aren't on it. My gal's 2016 Forester had the worse (and arguably the most dangerous) tires on slick roads I've ever driven--including bald tires........

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Bristoe
My dad showed me how to drive a pick up through snow a long time ago. Fit it with studded snow tires and fill the bed of the truck up with something heavy. He preferred concrete blocks because they were always around.

He used to do that with his '56 GMC step side. Decades later I had the same success in long bed Toyota and several 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights secured in the bed.

A standard 2WD pick up fitted with studded snow tires with about 700lbs of weight in the bed is one of the better snow driving vehicles there is.

Amen. It is amazing where a 2x4 PU will go with excellent winter tires and weight. But I still keep a set of chains behind the seat for nights like this. It looks like I might have to drive home from work at 5:00 AM in several inches of fresh snow.

But with the k5 Blazer, the 99 S Blazer, the 03 Sub Legacy, or Momma's 05 Durango, I never needed chains. I really could not give any of them an edge. They all handled snow well, dependent upon tires.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Our Toyota Highlander is pretty good in the snow and ice, however I saw a demo comparing a 2016 Honda Pilot
to a Highlander. In snow and ice hill climbing the Honda pilot would beat the Highlander. Consensus was
the Honda Pilot had a better computer program for locking and unlocking the wheels that were spinning or
stuck. In other words the Pilot would pull a bad hill while the Highlander would not. Studs can,t be beat
on ice covered roads.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Why do you guys think that the Suburban seems so much better than a pickup? Is it the weight distribution?

Also, are the Honda CRV accolades only for the all-wheel drive version?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Yes, the Suburban is better balanced than a pickup. Put weight in a pickup and then it's a wash.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Actually, take a old fashioned SWB, conventional cab pickup with the axles closer together, put weight in the back and it'll beat out our long azz wheelbase yuppie trucks--just be careful not to unintentionally swap ends.........

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by ironbender
In general,

4WD>FWD>RWD

FWD is okay if you never get off the pavement. But they totally suck on any kind of sidehill. My 90 Century could not make it out to the pavement for trying to drive off into the canal on the downhill side of the road when it got snow covered. I would much rather have the ass end slipping toward the downhill side of the road than the front end.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image]

Here is the best snow vehicle, my 4WD Nissan, only now I have studded snow tires on it.
So good in ice and snow you can't have any fun sliding around, it grips like nothing else.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Vek
The 5-speed manual Forester with studs that my wife drove around when we lived in Anchorage was quite noteworthy. Subaru AWD is different for manual vs auto trans - the manual is full mechanical (no brains no headaches, power when you want it) but the auto wants to do too much for you, to the point of pulling all power when you're trying to cross a busy intersection and it senses enough slippage...screw that. You couldn't pay me to drive an auto Subaru.

I agree. We had a Forester that tried its damndest to kill me on a slippery road. If the traction control wasn't disabled the bastard would just creep out into an intersection trying to figure out which wheels should get power. One real close call of that and I sold it next day to a Lesbian. That thing scared the hell out of me, and I never got used to the fuel fill on the wrong side. Built like a pop can. Used more oil than a Deere 70. Tires were wearing badly at 20k. I don't miss it. Replaced it with a Sequoia, 10x the vehicle, wife loves it. Me and that Forester never got along, other people I've talked to love theirs.

Last edited by Alaskajim; 12/16/17.
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Had a few different variations of Izusu Troopers that would regularly track better and go farther than my brother's Suburbans in snow/mud on logging trails.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Worst vehicle in snow I ever owned was a 1972 MGB. My 2000 Ford Expedition 4X4 is really good on show . Don`t know of any vehicles that are good on ice.
Slowing down help.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

220 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 38 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,701
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.