Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looking for a firm mattress that will last!
We're tired of buying "quality' only to have a wallowed out area around the hips in two-to-three year years.

No pillow tops, no gel tops, no temperpedic...just a good old school mattress that is firm and will last. Recommendations?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
;D been looking for a decade, no luck. closest thing I have is a Thermarest luxury map (camping mattress), on a hardwood floor. I have been sleeping on that since May. The $3500 tempurpedic works for the wife but I can't do it any more.

I spent about an hour today trying to get a store to show me a firm mattress. FInally I told them, "look, when I sit down on the bed and sink in for 10 seconds, and end up with my knees about even with my eyeballs...... that is not a firm mattress"

BEST OF LUCK, though!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just hope that my pillow SOB doesn't start making mattress' too.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tag

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've been sleeping on a futon on a wood slat frame for many years. They're pretty firm, are reasonably priced and last a decade or more for me. A traditional futon is made entirely of cotton but they have variants that have some foam in them that are a little softer.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Go online to Costco and look at the Kirkland Signature (firm) by Stearns and Foster Hope Bay Mattress.

The delivery and return price is included in the cost, and it has a 10 year warranty.

If you don't like it anytime before the 10 years is up, they will pickup at no charge and refund your money. I did verify this with Costco before purchasing.

The wife and I went to Macy's and bought one for about $3,500. The return charge would have been 15% if we didn't like it. Its really hard to lay on a mattress in a store to see what you may or may not like. Cancelled the order and just got the one listed above a few days ago. So far so good.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sleep Number. Then you can adjust it to where you want it. My wife likes it softer so she sets her side lower than mine. You can crank it up until it feels like sleeping on the floor.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Budget?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Straw mat, floor, works fer me.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Straw mat, floor, works fer me.

laugh

Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la!
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If you both like different comfort levels get 2 TXLs and put on a king frame. Beautyrest Black Tight Top is going to be one of the best. I work for a bedding company and own a house with a lot of extra rooms. Hands down the one Everyone including my FIL with a really bad back and myself with a bad back both prefer it over all the others. Before I worked here I had bad injuries so I bought a few other brands higher end lines so have a few to pick from. Legends, Beautyrest Platinum, Serta's higher end matt, Sealy, no Tempur but knowing what I do now I wouldn't buy a foam core bed.

Believe it or not, my Friend who is about 65 has a handmade mattress his Parents received when they were married on a frame with the spring suspension deal his Grandmother owned. It could have been hunting all day in the cold that made sleep great though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tuft and needle in my camp trailer is much more firm than the temperpedic in the house bedroom. I was not sure the first few nights but now we like it better than the temperpedic. 3000 bucks for temperpedic, 700 for tuft and needle no contest.

That tuft and needle is about perfect.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
'nuther vote for Sleep Number. Any setting from "marshmallow" to "morgue" is a button touch away. And she can do the same on her side.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Budget?

I'd figured I'd spend a grand if I had to, but by the looks of it, that won't do it.

I'd spend $1500 for some (#&@^ back support.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We are at 12 years on one of the top of the line Beauty Rest mattresses and it was firm enough that we added a foam topper to soften it a bit.. Cost around a grand when we bought it.

We also bought a Serta mattress for the spare room from Costco around the same time for around $400, and it is almost as good as the Beauty Rest.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You can dink around with a standard mattress that does the standard thing after a few years, or you can spend the coin for a mattress that's guaranteed to be the same as the day you bought it for the next 20+ years. Sleep Number.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So, let talk sleep number....when one hears "morgue' firm, its that firmness throughout that 'side' and dialed number of the mattress? I can't help but envision a blowup pool raft that gets saggy where you pressure it; with a knee or elbow... sorry to sound naive, lol, I've not used a sleep number.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Anyone use Helix or Casper matterss in a box?

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by broomd
So, let talk sleep number....when one hears "morgue' firm, its that firmness throughout that 'side' and dialed number of the mattress? I can't help but envision a blowup pool raft that gets saggy where you pressure it; with a knee or elbow... sorry to sound naive, lol, I've not used a sleep number.
It's a different breed of air bed. It'll maintain support throughout. It'll be the same firmness all over. If your back condition changes, you can change the pressure to accommodate it. You won't be lying on your back with your butt on the frame and your knees hitting your chin. Once you set it, it'll hold it, year after year. The so called 'sleep number' is a reading on the controller that's just a reference. It doesn't mean lb of pressure or anything. It's just a number so you can later adjust the pressure back to it if you want to.

But like everything else, there's no such thing as one size fits all. I love it. Some others hate it. I'm not sure how it works but they have a 3 month trial in which you can return it if you don't like it.

we've had ours about 7 years. They've made changes since then and I don't know what all they've done. We got one without a memory foam topper. At the time, toppers were considerably more expensive and it was far cheaper to just go to Costco and buy a mattress topper made of the same memory foam. Personally, I hate memory foam so we got rid of our topper and just use an extra thick mattress cover. I like it much better.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What if you have a very nice bedroom set and don't wish to break up the set?

Sleep number requires it's own frame i believe?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,282
Posts18,505,117
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.