Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Read Acts 10, the full account of Cornelius. This is a turning point in the work of the apostles. Verse 2 says Cornelius was a devout and God fearing man before he met Peter. He was saved before he called for Peter but he needed instruction in how Christians are supposed to live. He didn't know the details about Christ. He did know about Christ, though. Go down to v32 and 33. Both verses start with 'you know that...' Cornelius knew about Christ and with his devotion was saved. He was what Paul later referred to as a baby Christian who needed milk but still, he was definitely saved and the Spirit could have come on him at any time.

However, God was holding off with the Spirit until Peter was there. This was a lesson for Peter more than for Cornelius. Peter needed instruction in how to deal with Gentile converts. He'd just experienced his vision with sheet full of unclean thing but didn't know how to apply it. Now Peter fully understood. This was God's lesson to him that Gentiles could be saved and Spirit filled just like the Jews. After this lesson, Peter's attitude and actions changed completely. He was now ready to go out among the Gentiles and to accept Paul's calling as being from the Lord.

The Case of Cornelius is an interesting study. Dr. Luke actually discusses the "full account" in Acts 10, 11, and 15.

Acts 10 is what one could call the general account told by Dr. Luke. Acts 11 is the same account, told by Peter, "by order" . . . or one might say he told them what happened in the chronological order of events.

Luke tells us that Cornelius was devout man in the eyes of the Jews, but he was lost.

Look at what Cornelius told Peter when he arrived, with regards to what the angel had said unto him . . .
Acts 11: 14-15

14 Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved. It was the words that Peter was to deliver that had the power to create saving and obedient faith in Cornelius.

But Peter and the six Jewish Christians of the Circumcision, that accompanied him to the house of Cornelius, need to be convinced that Cornelius was worthy to hear the Gospel. That is why God sent the Holy Spirit directly from heaven, rather than by the laying on of an Apostle's hands (such as Peter and John Acts 8:18)

15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning...

Since faith comes by hearing the word of God (Rom 10:17) and the Holy Spirit fell on the household of Cornelius before he heard the word, then we can conclude that this miraculous falling of the Spirit had nothing to do with his salvation. The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation (Roman 1:16)

So it is clear, that once the six Jewish brethren and Peter saw that Cornelius and his household had received the Holy Spirit directly from heaven, as had he and the other Apostles (Acts 2:1-4) they were convinced the Gentiles were accepted by God (Acts 11:16-18; 15:7-9) and received salvation through faith and obedience to the Gospel command to be baptized (Acts 10:47-48)

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB1

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Starman
Well, some have claimed Jesus is fully God, yet to me the only one than can be fully God( in every respect)
is the one supreme Father/Majesty who has power and authority over all , including over his Son, the Holy Spirit and the Angels.

Glory, blessings, mans gift-inheritance, the angels and holy spirit, the saviour son and the home Jesus prepares for the saved,
comes from the Father not Christ.

What did God say, as opposed to what "some have claimed".

Last edited by jaguartx; 12/18/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

RH, i beg to postpone answering your question re how some (many) are saved yet never enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.

We have our intrinsic training and then we have Gods word, which is infallible, even though our teaching has possibly made assumptions and be in contrast to His words.

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I'm not going to get into an argument back and forth about water baptism. It will never end. Let's just say that I believe that it is the baptism into Christ which saves,and that everyone who is baptized into Christ should at some time be water baptized to publicly proclaim and illustrate what has already taken place in their Spirit.

Pretty sure ive known some who took the plunge who arent worth knocking in the head.

Pretty sure some have said some words and got wet,but nothing changed on the inside. IMHO, we need to teach that there is a word that is synonymous with salvation,the word surrender.

Luke 17:33King James Version (KJV)

33 Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Amen.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well, some have claimed Jesus is fully God,

No claim but FACT. He is fully man and fully GOD.

Acts 4:10
"Whom "GOD" raised from the dead"
John 2: 19 "Destroy this temple and in three days "I" will raise it up. (Spoken by the Son/God)

John 1:1-2 "In the beginning was the Word (Son) and the Word was with God and the Word WAS GOD
He was in the beginning with God."

Jesus is a subordinate and not equal to God the Father.

Phil 2:6 "who being in the form of God did not consider it robbery to be equal with God"
vs 7 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bond servant and coming
in the likeness of men."

Matthew24:36
"But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only."

Rev 1:1 "The Revelation of Jesus Christ which God gave Him to show His servants--things which must shortly take place.

After Jesus Ascension, God gave Him all revelation concerning His 2nd coming.

Jesus did not say he would himself direct angels to his side, he said he could call
on /ask his Father to deliver angles to his side.
Matthew 26:53

As fully man, he prayed as a man, but at the same time was He fully God, (who was incapable of sinning btw).
As a man He was totally dependent of the Father, He was limited to His Fathers will in His time on earth.

Jesus is the appointed conduit that the supreme Father operates through.

What? Where did you get that from?

Col 1:16 "For by Him (Jesus) ALL THINGS were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers, ALL THINGS were created through and for Him."

vs 17 "And He is before ALL THINGS and in Him ALL THINGS consist."

Also................

1 John 5:19 "And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us and understanding, that we may know Him who is true,
and we are in Him who is true, in His SON JESUS CHRIST...THIS IS THE TRUE GOD and eternal life."

2nd John vs 9 "He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son."
vs 10 "If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine do not receive him into your house nor greet him."

Originally Posted by Tom264
The second death is the death of ones soul and spirit.
Then they will cease to exist.

Yep.

and the fact that they will cease to exist for all eternity, is in itself a form of eternal punishment,
ie; they will never be resurrected from the 2nd death....the punishment stands!

This statement is so false......

"Forever and ever"...- Eternally. Greek..."To the aion and aion" To the ages of the ages. It is an expression which signifies eternity, endlessness, not merely a period of indefinite time.

Nowhere does the Bible teach annihiliationism , or the destruction of Satan or the wicked. The bible teaches eternal punishment, eternal torment of the damned.

There is no way to be able to explain away the terribleness of these words "for ever and for ever"

The same expression is used in these verses as well.........
..Of God and glory due to Him...Gal 1:15,, Phil 4:20
..Of the Lamb...Rev 4:9-10, 5:13-14
..Of the wrath of God on the wicked..Rev 19:3, 20:10
..Of the saints reigning with Christ Rev 22:5
..Of the Lake of Fire and Brimstone and associated torment...Rev 20:10 Jude 13, 2 Pet 2:17

As eternal as God and the LAMB are, as eternal as everlasting life to the redeemed, so are the eternal torments for the damned, for the unredeemed --"forever and ever."

If Gehenna is not everlasting, then neither do the saints have an everlasting life.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Read Acts 10, the full account of Cornelius. This is a turning point in the work of the apostles. Verse 2 says Cornelius was a devout and God fearing man before he met Peter. He was saved before he called for Peter but he needed instruction in how Christians are supposed to live. He didn't know the details about Christ. He did know about Christ, though. Go down to v32 and 33. Both verses start with 'you know that...' Cornelius knew about Christ and with his devotion was saved. He was what Paul later referred to as a baby Christian who needed milk but still, he was definitely saved and the Spirit could have come on him at any time.

However, God was holding off with the Spirit until Peter was there. This was a lesson for Peter more than for Cornelius. Peter needed instruction in how to deal with Gentile converts. He'd just experienced his vision with sheet full of unclean thing but didn't know how to apply it. Now Peter fully understood. This was God's lesson to him that Gentiles could be saved and Spirit filled just like the Jews. After this lesson, Peter's attitude and actions changed completely. He was now ready to go out among the Gentiles and to accept Paul's calling as being from the Lord.

The Case of Cornelius is an interesting study. Dr. Luke actually discusses the "full account" in Acts 10, 11, and 15.

Acts 10 is what one could call the general account told by Dr. Luke. Acts 11 is the same account, told by Peter, "by order" . . . or one might say he told them what happened in the chronological order of events.

Luke tells us that Cornelius was devout man in the eyes of the Jews, but he was lost.

Look at what Cornelius told Peter when he arrived, with regards to what the angel had said unto him . . .
Acts 11: 14-15

14 Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved. It was the words that Peter was to deliver that had the power to create saving and obedient faith in Cornelius.

But Peter and the six Jewish Christians of the Circumcision, that accompanied him to the house of Cornelius, need to be convinced that Cornelius was worthy to hear the Gospel. That is why God sent the Holy Spirit directly from heaven, rather than by the laying on of an Apostle's hands (such as Peter and John Acts 8:18)

15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning...

Since faith comes by hearing the word of God (Rom 10:17) and the Holy Spirit fell on the household of Cornelius before he heard the word, then we can conclude that this miraculous falling of the Spirit had nothing to do with his salvation. The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation (Roman 1:16)

So it is clear, that once the six Jewish brethren and Peter saw that Cornelius and his household had received the Holy Spirit directly from heaven, as had he and the other Apostles (Acts 2:1-4) they were convinced the Gentiles were accepted by God (Acts 11:16-18; 15:7-9) and received salvation through faith and obedience to the Gospel command to be baptized (Acts 10:47-48)

Even if Cornelius wasn't saved when Peter arrived, 'when Peter began to speak' is actually the following verses:

34 ¶ Then Peter began to speak: "I now realise how true it is that God does not show favouritism
35 but accepts men from every nation who fear him and do what is right.
36 You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, telling the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all.
37 You know what has happened throughout Judea, beginning in Galilee after the baptism that John preached—
38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.
39 "We are witnesses of everything he did in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They killed him by hanging him on a tree,
40 but God raised him from the dead on the third day and caused him to be seen.
41 He was not seen by all the people, but by witnesses whom God had already chosen—by us who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead.
42 He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one whom God appointed as judge of the living and the dead.
43 All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name."
44 ¶ While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message.

Peter gave them a full salvation message before the Spirit came on them in V 44. They already knew who Jesus was, verses 36,37, and Peter gave them vital information. Whether before or after Peter arrived, they got the full message and believed. Somewhere in this before the Spirit came, they accepted Christ. The Spirit didn't come on unsaved people.

Last edited by Rock Chuck; 12/18/17.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chuck, in light of your statement above, here quoted . . ."Somewhere in this before the Spirit came, they accepted Christ. The Spirit didn't come on unsaved people. ' . . . I would be interested in your commentary on the Samaritans, to whom Philip preached Christ . . .

Acts 8:12-17

12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.

14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:

15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:

16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

RH, i beg to postpone answering your question re how some (many) are saved yet never enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.

We have our intrinsic training and then we have Gods word, which is infallible, even though our teaching has possibly made assumptions and be in contrast to His words.

I think that statement is true in every denomination I've ever seen. I always try my best to understand what God's word actually says,which is sometimes very much different from what it might seem to say in some translations.

I think it's important to ask yourself some questions whenever seeking the truth. Who is the word speaking to? Who is it speaking about? When is it being said? Why is it being said? It's also important to interpret scripture with scripture whenever possible and interpret it so that it is in agreement. Many times we have to really dig into original languages to get to the truth.

Sorry,I suppose my synopsis isn't exactly perfect English,but I'm just a country redneck after all.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
From what I've read, sometimes the Spirit comes on people immediately without them asking, other times it's through prayer and/or laying on of hands. In this case, it doesn't say that Simon received the Spirit. It says that he believed and was baptized. I don't know if he had the Spirit or not. For sure he missed the point of what this is all about thinking he could buy God's power. I think he'd been living a life of 'what's in it for me' and he wanted his cut. He offered to buy the power and I'll bet that he had plans to sell it and get rich.
He'd been following the disciples around during their mission work. Peter chased him away forbidding him to be part of it. They sure didn't need him hanging around with his false testimony. In v24 it sounds like he repented but the wording is such that it's hard to know if it's repentance or just fear. He sure didn't want God's wrath on his sorry butt, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Could it be said tbat anyone who believes has the Spirit? Otherwise, how would one be a believer?

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Could it be said tbat anyone who believes has the Spirit? Otherwise, how would one be a believer?

I think now you are getting into the difference between being saved,where yes,the Spirit of God lives in the believer,and being baptized in the Spirit,which some believe are different. You get into the gifts of the Spirit and praying in the Spirit,which would be a huge discussion of itself.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
... and then we have Gods word, which is infallible,

If that was the case, there would be just one denomination on earth and we would all agree.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Starman a Mormon?

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
... and then we have Gods word, which is infallible,

If that was the case, there would be just one denomination on earth and we would all agree.

Look at Trump as president and say that.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SU35

Nowhere does the Bible teach annihiliationism , or the destruction of Satan or the wicked.

Nowhere?...there is in fact a substantial list of instances where it is mentioned.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SU35

Jesus is the appointed conduit that the supreme Father operates through.

What? Where did you get that from?

I gave my reference at the time, which you chose to ignore.
It indicates God the Father made the universe through the Son, which would make him a conduit
of the Fathers Work.

Hebrews 1:2
"but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things,
and through whom also he made the universe.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by rphguy
To say that God can be killed is wrong.
They killed the physical body of Jesus, but He was still God and still very much alive.

To kill the physical body is all that can be done to any of us as well. Physical death however was not the huge punishment that Jesus suffered on our behalf. What he suffered that counts was separation from the Father. This is why Jesus cried out on the cross,"My God ,My God,why have you forsaken me?" This was the first time Jesus had ever been separated from the Father. God wasn't even Father any longer,but "My God".

there is a difference. When we die, we have no control over being able to be alive. Jesus always possessed that authority and ability.

One might think it semantics, but you cannot kill God. He is unkillable.

Similar to many believers calling Mary "the mother of God". While she is the mother of Jesus Christ, she is not "the mother of God".
Semantics? no. Mary is not divine, nor pre-existent. She was not around to "create God". She was around, though, for Christ to be placed in her womb and give birth to Him, making her the mother of Christ, but not the mother of God.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
What if God the Father wanted God the Son to be the center of all attention and through whom all blessing flow?
Shouldn't we accept the fact that he has the authority to do whatever he wishes?

I haven't questioned the Fathers authority to do as he wishes, In fact that is part of the point Im stressing,
that only ONE has such FULL GOD powers and authority....and every entity from Jesus down are dependent,
subordinate and subject to such.

There is only ONE in charge of ALL....anything short of that cannot claim to be Fully God.

The Father created the universe
The Father sent the Son,
The Father raised the Son,
The Father/Majesty put the Son at his right hand of power,
The Father sends His angels,
The Father sends the Holy Spirit
The Father provides the blessings
The Father takes back the Kingdom given to his Son,
The Father then makes the Son subordinate.
The Father provides the home for the saved and son Jesus to dwelll together.
The Father provided Jesus with the power to perform miracles.
The Fathers Will is what Jesus directs people to faithfully do.
The Fathers Will is what Jesus follows.
The Father holds in his hand those who are saved.

1 Corinthian 15:28
"When he has done this then the Son himself will be made subject to him who put everything under him,
so that God may be all in all.

^^ It specifically indicates that God the Father is the ONE ALL POWERFUL EVERYTHING in EVERYTHING.
and that Jesus will no longer be required to wield power at the right hand of God.

The FATHER is the only one such FULL GOD I am aware of... laugh

You might want to re-think who you say created the Universe. Here's 2 verses that tell us that Jesus is the Creator.

John 1:1-3 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.

Col 1:16 16 For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, some have claimed Jesus is fully God, yet to me the only one than can be fully God( in every respect)
is the one supreme Father/Majesty who has power and authority over all , including over his Son, the Holy Spirit and the Angels.

Glory, blessings, mans gift-inheritance, the angels and holy spirit, the saviour son and the home Jesus prepares for the saved,
comes from the Father not Christ.

Jesus is equal to God, and to deny that Jesus is fully God denies Jesus altogether. There is no hope for eternal life unless you believe that Jesus is the Lord God Almighty, the I AM. John 8:24

Jesus Himself claimed to be God. That claim was what made the Pharisees so angry. In John 8:58 he said, "Before Abraham was born, I am!"

"For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one." I John 5:7

Seventh Day Adventists (and others) do not believe that Jesus is fully God, but that He is just a part, 1/3, of God (one of 3 beings who together make up one Godhead group). They separate the Father from the Son from the Holy Spirit, and they separate the persons of the Godhead.

The Biblical truth is that there is only one Being, only one God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) who is the creator, source, and sustainer of all creation.

Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (1936M71, 160user, 44mc, 10Glocks, 15 invisible), 12,138 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,230
Posts18,544,029
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.