Hop To
B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
OK, that was a new one to me too.

I was at the Greenville SC gunshow last sunday and there were several knife makers out there displaying their wares. (several knives I wanted...)

I ask what kind of steel they used? All of them said 440. I asked one "what about s30v any good?" He proceeded to go on about how it is difficult to sharpen, won't hold an edge, it's a fad, it won't last, a rare metal to get etc... I smiled and left.

Somehow, I don't think that old geezer will be making knives for much longer....

Last edited by blammer; 02/06/07.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's an old guy at work that taunts the network administrator by occasionally casually remarking that CPU's are a fad and won't last. He'll advise the computer geek to seek training for another career when this one folds because computers are on their way out. smile

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Knife makers resist change. Phil Wilson thinks that it's easy to work with. But, he's an engineer that really knows metallurgy as well as being a knife maker. I like D2, 154CM, and ATS-34. I have two S30V blades. They do retain an edge extremely well, didn't think they were difficult to touch up either.

http://www.seamountknifeworks.com/article6.htm

I believe that Wayne Hendrix and George Herron prefer ATS-34.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are plenty of knifemakers as there are plenty of gunsmiths. There are few smiths that I would trust to do a decent job of barreling an action just as there are few knifemakers that are able to take a state of the art steel, grind a good pattern, properly heat treat the steel, and finish it with a wicked sharp edge.

Plenty of folks know not the difference between top drawer and bargain bin, so the mediocre smiths and knifemakers stay employed and clueless.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by blammer
OK, that was a new one to me too.

I was at the Greenville SC gunshow last sunday and there were several knife makers out there displaying their wares. (several knives I wanted...)

I ask what kind of steel they used? All of them said 440. I asked one "what about s30v any good?" He proceeded to go on about how it is difficult to sharpen, won't hold an edge, it's a fad, it won't last, a rare metal to get etc... I smiled and left.

Somehow, I don't think that old geezer will be making knives for much longer....

S30V is not a passing fad. I have made knives using it, and it is very good at edge holding, certainly FAR better that 440C.
The reason the knifemaker tried to skate you off the S30V puck is because he isn't able to deal with it as a maker. It is much harder to work than 440C. I only use 440C for art knives as it buffs up well, but don't make working knives from it.
I prefer ATS34, D-2, and S30V for working knives, cause they have good wear resistance characteristics, edge holding.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bet when the old 30-06 came out as a sporting rifle that many didn't think that would last either...

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
LOL, akmthhntr- you're probably right.

so next time someone says that I suppose I could be a SA and say "so you don't know how to work S30V to well eh?"

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes the truth hurts, but just for a little while... grin

Last edited by AkMtnHntr; 02/07/07.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
S30V is here to stay. So is 440! They both have their place. A lot of makers will stay away from it because it is different to work. Putting a polished finish on it will drive a lot of makers up a wall. Like rifle calibers, there isn't one that will do everything.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have several freinds that keep telling me that Smokeless powder is a passing fad...............DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
IC B3

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have several freinds that keep telling me that Smokeless powder is a passing fad...............DJ

No, that's true......

[Linked Image]

Regards, sse

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What about S60V anyone have anything with it? I found this guy at a sport show www.dunnknives.com . He uses S60V on all his. I'm trying to find a full set of knives in a good steel like s30 or d2 . I lookied at KOA and like some of there designs but they use different steel for different knives. A deep bellied skinner , a bonning , and one to cape with . Ingram uses the right steel can't find a blade design that suits me for a caper and his skinners are not deep enough for my likes.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't used 60V, however, I have used S90V. 90V was/is the hardest damn steel I have ever sharpened! I'm no sharpening dummy and have no troubles with knife steels, even some of the reputed hard to sharpen steels like high RC D2 and BG-42. I can sharpen them easy enough. But that 90V was a chore for me and if 60V is going in that direction away from the lower 30V, then I'd want nothing to do with it.

The Dunn knives aren't in the same class as Ingram or my favorite maker, Bob Dozier. Granted they aren't as pricey.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am new to the custom knife thing so if you wouldn't mind entertaining me for a while what makes them "not in the same league" . Please be as specific as you can. Thanks

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IMHO, design, fit and finish, sheaths, and perhaps heat treatment. I've looked various Dunn knives over at several gunshows and was never impressed. There isn't much information regarding the heat treatment of his knives on the website. I could have missed it, but it would be nice to know who does the HT and to what RC level.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
wildone,

Just a suggestion: Phil Wilson ---- Seamount Knives

He uses S30V, S90V, 154CM, and CPM 10V, among others. Might be worth your time to give him a call, if you like his style.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (300_savage, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 10 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,464
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.