Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Drove 25 min to ship a rifle out for rebore yesterday at major UPS hub near me. Done this many times over the years. When asked what's in the package, I didn't lie and said it was a long gun. The clerk at the counter then asked for a copy of the receiving FFL's license. I replied that the did not need the FFL's license for shipment.

This started the disagreement on their policy. The clerk said that a copy of the license is required for shipment, to which I replied it is not and asked them to show me the policy where it says that. They had a copy of the standard shipping firearms policy page on the bulletin board with the highlighted paragraph (I know it well):

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms
UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.

The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment containing firearms complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package, including, without limitation, age restrictions

The clerk was getting irritated with my not agreeing with them and grabbed the highlighted paragraph to show me. I agreed with everything in that paragraph he was pointing at, and then asked him to show me where it says the sender has to provide the recipient's FFL license. He said, "How would we know that we are delivering to a licensed FFL?" I said you don't, it's none of your business.

I asked how you do you know that ANY package doesn't contain illegal or policy-banned items?!? If I was going to break the law or policy, I wouldn't be honest in claiming that a long gun was in the box in the first place. He was getting impatient and said that he was not going to argue with me, and that he would not be shipping the box without the FFL license. Period. I left, and drove the 25 min back home. A wasted hour of my time.

I had used this UPS hub in the past with no issues. I talked to another clerk and they said that is the way they are being trained, that the FFL copy is required for shipment. I'm trying to track down the hub manager today for discussion. If that is how they are training all their people, 'tis a shame. What I'd really love to do is box up a 3' chunk of iron pipe in a similar gun box, go back in there today and when the same clerk asks me what's in the box I'd say, "metal tube", and see what happens.....

Last edited by BlackFrog; 12/20/17.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would have gotten irritated with you as well. Just give then a frick'n FFL and be done with it. Guessing you are one of those people that always needs to be "right"?

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I didn't have a copy of the receiving FFL. Never needed it before for rebore work, this wasn't a sold rifle going to a new owner.
Just another unnecessary added step in the red tape of shipping, and a lot of wasted time.

Wondering if all UPS counters are being trained this way now....

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Good luck. I traded rifles this year with a campfire member. My local hub would deliver my rifle to him even though I had his FFL number. They claimed they didn't deliver to a residence but if it was to a gun store they'd deliver it. The guy even claimed he spoke to "corporate" and they agreed with him after I emailed a complaint to corportate which dropped it back in the hub's lap. No where do their own regs state anything about a sign on the building or not to a residence. How many collectors live in a gun store? I told the jackass UPS delivered my 44 mag revolver to a residence from S&W after it was repaired. All he could do was parrot his BS! I think he likes the smell of his azz.

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms
UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.
The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment containing firearms complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package, including, without limitation, age restrictions

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 12/20/17.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
My local FFL operates his shop out of his basement in his house!

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
BTW, my fix was the USPS. It cost less and no BS.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I wouldn't ship a shoelace with those fu ckers. USPS does a fine job.

Camp is where you make it.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I guess I’ve just been lucky, but haven’t had any trouble shipping firearms. I’ve even shipped them to myself in care of an outfitter to avoid taking them on a plane. Go to Ups or FedEx online, open an account, fill out the shipping information and print out a label. Take it to a drop off point or have it picked up. No one has ever asked what was in the package.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The last rifle I shipped went through USPS without issue. I went in the day before shipping it and spoke to a guy behind the counter. Told him what I wanted to ship, and he said to come talk to him when I brought it in as some of the ladies didn't like to ship guns and could cause problems. I did as he suggested and it went just fine.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I've shipped numerous guns over the years with UPS, FedEx, and USPS. This is the first time I've ever been asked to provide the recipient's FFL.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
BTW, my fix was the USPS. It cost less and no BS.

Originally Posted by tzone
I wouldn't ship a shoelace with those fu ckers. USPS does a fine job.

Yeah - until they eff up a shipment and you try to collect on their absolutely WORTHLESS insurance... Best of luck to ya. BTDT - and a customer lost about $2K.... USPS only gets letters and worthless chit now - I ship guns UPS..

To be fair, I always advise my customers to obtain a copy of my FFL before shipment; then print out 2 copies - one for their records and one in the box.. Just makes things easier for everybody involved..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I want to ask a QUESTION:

What is the procedure like when you go through USPS/UPS these days, must you identify the contents, or...what.?

Last edited by 358wsm; 12/20/17. Reason: Included UPS

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go online to UPS or FedEx, pay for the shipment, print out a shipping label and attach it to the box beforehand. Walk into a legitimate UPS or FedEx shipping location, lay the box on the counter and say in a pleasant manner, "this is ready to ship", and walk out. They don't ask and I don't tell. You will need to establish a login account but it is no more painful than establishing your login to this site. Name, address, phone number, basic stuff. You do not have to register a credit card with them but can use your credit card on an ad hoc basis.

Some people have a problem with this method and if one is risk averse or prone to worrying then I heartily recommend not doing this. But I have done this a few dozen times now and never once had a problem or been asked about the contents of the box. The time or two I sent a rifle by USPS Priority (never a handgun through the mail, that's illegal for a non-FFL holder), I simply said "no" to the standard questions about perishable, fragile, liquid, etc.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
When you do the online, preprinted label and take it to a hub for dropoff, there's no indication of what is in the package?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
None. Nor are there any questions about contents on line, just places to enter the address, weight, dimensions and any options such as insurance or special handling. It's not a bad idea to include "adult signature required" although that adds $4-5 to the shipping cost. And be sure not to put any reference to firearms on the outside, e.g. shipping in a factory box with their logo on it. If the recipient address is something like "Bernie's Gun Shop, Firearms and Weapons of Mass Destruction Emporium", I'd just put "Bernie's".

A custom stockmaker I've worked with used preprinted address labels for boxes he uses to return firearms, they have a big company logo for a custom airplane wing strut manufacturer. Not a lot of demand for theft of custom wing struts.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I know some FFL's will not provide a copy of their license to non-FFL individuals.
If you google, "won't provide copy of FFL" you'll see several results and discussions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Years ago I was shipping a scope back to the manufacturer for repairs. When I dropped it off the lady at the UPS store (not UPS but a packing and mail box store front) asked me what was in it. I my radar went off and I replied that it was an optical instrument and asked why she asked. She said that their policy was not to ship anything firearms related. I asked if this was a new UPS policy and was told that it was not UPS policy but the store owner's policy. That was the last time I darkened their door.
Open up a UPS account, print the label and drop it off or have it picked up. Like others have said, it's fast and easy and you don't have to deal with the idiots.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by BlackFrog
I know some FFL's will not provide a copy of their license to non-FFL individuals.
If you google, "won't provide copy of FFL" you'll see several results and discussions.

FFL EZ-Check numbers remedy this.

He went over yonder way
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
True, but doesn't help the "FFL copy required" claimed by the UPS clerks.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Years ago I was shipping a scope back to the manufacturer for repairs. When I dropped it off the lady at the UPS store (not UPS but a packing and mail box store front) asked me what was in it. I my radar went off and I replied that it was an optical instrument and asked why she asked. She said that their policy was not to ship anything firearms related. I asked if this was a new UPS policy and was told that it was not UPS policy but the store owner's policy. That was the last time I darkened their door.
Open up a UPS account, print the label and drop it off or have it picked up. Like others have said, it's fast and easy and you don't have to deal with the idiots.

A lot of small towns have UPS drop off points that tend to be local businesses: the local hardware, pharmacy, etc. We tend to ignore where the shipment is going and just ship it no questions asked.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (anothergun, 10gaugemag, Alan_Robertson, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 1,405 guests, and 673 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,636
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.