Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I am intrigued by the Terra 3x but have not seen one yet.
I'm thinking of putting a new 3-9x40 on my 308win Sako 85

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Zeiss Terra is an ok scope. Nothing bad, nothing special.
If you'd like something superior to that take a look at the GPO line of riflescopes. GPO was started by the ex-President of Zeiss and he basically is making superior offerings for less money smile
You can also get superior scopes to the Terra or VX-2 for less money from Hawke or Athlon.

Always feel free to give us a call and pick our brains on what would be best for your use

Merry Christmas

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Doug, love ya brother, no [bleep].....but you’re telling us this new (hypothetically) Sangyoong auto brand is ‘as good as Toyota or Mercedes’, but nobody has ever heard of them or driven them much. Who gets to pay to be the guinea pigs? Customer? Minox?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Doug, love ya brother, no [bleep].....but you’re telling us this new (hypothetically) Sangyoong auto brand is ‘as good as Toyota or Mercedes’, but nobody has ever heard of them or driven them much. Who gets to pay to be the guinea pigs? Customer? Minox?

Here is a Athlon Riflescope Review posted by a member here.

The GPO's are a new company, same as every other company that was new once. GPO is headed up with some of the most experienced guys in the industry from Zeiss and Swarovski.

I'm saying, we believe in the brands we offer or we wouldn't offer them. No, I'm not right all the time, just ask my wife, but I try. If you get a "blind item" from us and it is not what we represented it to be we will of course take it back. This thread is about a Zeiss Terra. The Terra is not what built Zeiss' brand. It is something they released to sell in big box stores and to compete in the China built market. Let's not confuse it with a true Zeiss Euro offering.

I just came across this GPO Passion HD Binocular Review here on the 'fire for you to check out

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
If it holds zero I love the Terra. Been shooting Leupy for 30 years no problems but I don't spin turrets. Bought a Terra for only 300 dollars, I had to try one for that price.

IC B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by WillB
If it holds zero I love the Terra. Been shooting Leupy for 30 years no problems but I don't spin turrets. Bought a Terra for only 300 dollars, I had to try one for that price.

Have you had problems with the Terra holding zero?

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by JollyOldDiggerNick
Originally Posted by WillB

Have you had problems with the Terra holding zero?

Will check it soon.

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
I have the Terra 2-7 mounted on a .270. The glass is a little sharper and better in low light than the VX II, but the eye relief is less and the eyebox is less forgiving.

Trading on GB as Cajunchef,
God Bless America!
Charles Ray, Jr.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ZeauRay
I have the Terra 2-7 mounted on a .270. The glass is a little sharper and better in low light than the VX II, but the eye relief is less and the eyebox is less forgiving.

So you are hung up on something that makes little difference while compromising two things that do make a big difference? Got it.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
You want to put a $300 Asian scope on a $2000 SAKO? Why? You know the only thing Carl Zeiss about that scope is the name Zeiss.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Terra is short for Terrible, which it is compared to the older Conquest line the Terra replaced.
Carl Zeiss would roll over in his grave if he knew his name was on the scope

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Terra has some of the worst eye box issues I’ve ever seen. Really hard to get behind and you have to slide back and forth if you use the power ring.

If somebody gave me one, I wouldn’t even open up the box. Straight to the classifieds it would go, and at a good discount for any poor bastard interested in it.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 12/22/17.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

So you are hung up on something that makes little difference while compromising two things that do make a big difference? Got it.

Unfortunately yes: that little difference can be a problem for me.
My eyesight sucks, glasses since age 5, trifocals for the last 10 years, so a lot of scopes that are fine for most people are problematic.

Focusing on a deer kill zone, in the bottomland hardwoods where I hunt, when you have just a few seconds,, eyebox is important.

I keep the Terra set on 3x, where it is the longest eye relief, for me, and it is fine.

The best scope I've found that works for me is the Zeiss Conquest 4x.
I would buy a dozen of those if I could find them.

Your Results May Vary

Trading on GB as Cajunchef,
God Bless America!
Charles Ray, Jr.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
VX 2’s are good scopes

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Unfortunately yes: that little difference can be a problem for me.
My eyesight sucks, glasses since age 5, trifocals for the last 10 years, so a lot of scopes that are fine for most people are problematic.

Focusing on a deer kill zone, in the bottomland hardwoods where I hunt, when you have just a few seconds,, eyebox is important.

I keep the Terra set on 3x, where it is the longest eye relief, for me, and it is fine.

The best scope I've found that works for me is the Zeiss Conquest 4x.
I would buy a dozen of those if I could find them.

Your Results May Vary

Thank you for making my point!
wink

It sounded like you bought the scope for the sharpness of the glass, overlooking the poor eye relief and skimpy eye box.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JollyOldDiggerNick
I am intrigued by the Terra 3x but have not seen one yet.
I'm thinking of putting a new 3-9x40 on my 308win Sako 85

My friend just sent his Terra back to Zeiss because his Tikka 25-06 was scattering shots all over paper at 50 yards. The customer service rep he talked with was pretty open that they had lots of problems with the Terra line. The Terra line is being discontinued....with cause it appears.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (163bc, 257 mag, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 30 invisible), 1,599 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,867
Posts18,497,416
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.