Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Anyone have a Kimber K6? I tried a few at a local shop and they felt great, the 3" version in particular. Haven't had one out to the range yet; asking price is just a bit too steep at the moment.

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Dave284: Get over your trepidation and buy yourself an earlier (NO LOCK!) Smith & Wesson Model 60 in 38 Special!
I carried one (required to carry!) concealed for 29 years without trouble and then carried one out of personal preference for the next 20 years.
I keep one secreted in my home and carry another.
Have a third that just sits unfired in its factory box appreciating in value!
Buy one - they are a good investment and a great "pocket revolver".
First one I bought cost me $90.00 (new!) and now its worth many times that.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
There is a 60 in the classifieds tominboise has it

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Waders

The only revolver I had fail was the Ruger LCR. Twice. 2 different guns. Both were .38 Spcls and both had the same failure--when you pressed/squeezed/pulled the trigger, the cylinder wouldn't advance. It felt like a revolver with a manual safety!

That was likely a failure to fully release the trigger after firing. They can lock up from that. That's not to excuse the gun. It shows that the design is prone to that particular failure.

I disagree with your diagnosis. I was not short-stroking the trigger. While I am not an expert, I know how to shoot a revolver (I watched a YouTube video once, so I pretty much know everything there is to know). These guns had to go back to Ruger for repair. Again, it's a data sample of two. I like the GP series; I really like the SP series (still own two); but, I am leery of the LCR's. I'm not saying I'd never own/carry another one, but it's a hard thing to put out of one's mind.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

The only revolver I had fail was the Ruger LCR. Twice. 2 different guns. Both were .38 Spcls and both had the same failure--when you pressed/squeezed/pulled the trigger, the cylinder wouldn't advance. It felt like a revolver with a manual safety!

That was likely a failure to fully release the trigger after firing. They can lock up from that. That's not to excuse the gun. It shows that the design is prone to that particular failure.

I disagree with your diagnosis. I was not short-stroking the trigger. While I am not an expert, I know how to shoot a revolver (I watched a YouTube video once, so I pretty much know everything there is to know). These guns had to go back to Ruger for repair. Again, it's a data sample of two. I like the GP series; I really like the SP series (still own two); but, I am leery of the LCR's. I'm not saying I'd never own/carry another one, but it's a hard thing to put out of one's mind.

I remember hearing early reviews that discussed the problem you report. Not sure if they've done anything to correct it. I was also immediately turned off to them when I heard these early reports of lock ups. At least one of the reviewers who reported this problem suggested that it was a short stroking issue, i.e., the action was prone to locking up from even a slight short stroke of the double action, such that traditional double action revolvers were not. The reason traditional double actions are not as prone is due to the greater amount of force that's applied to the trigger finger pushing it all the way back to full release, while the pressure is very light on the trigger finger going back with the LCR. This is also a selling point of the LCR, i.e., a light double action pull, but which requires a light return impulse also.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
There is a 60 in the classifieds tominboise has it

What he and VG said!

Regards,

Tom
D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Looked at one of the old used Colts a couple months ago at a shop. You could tell it had been carried and fired a lot. Even with all the use the action was fairly gritty and heavy. Of course it could have been as dirty inside as it was outside. Didn't look to have been very well taken care of.

I'll likely pass on another Smith. The only reason I took a chance on the one I gave to my brother was because I trusted the man I bought it from and the price was great.

Till I figure out what I want will probably just use the 3" SP101 .357 as my small gun. It is a great gun, just a bit big for the pocket and I prefer a hammerless for that . Maybe even pick-up another LCP .

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
A used LCR came home with me today. 38 SPL with the Crimson Trace grips, the factory soft case, a Galco holster and 50 rounds of plinking ammo. Out the door for $450.00 including tax! I honestly don't believe that it's ever been shot.

That will change about Saturday. Maybe before if I can sneak away from work for a while. smile

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
At short range (7-10 yds,) I shoot my S&W 638 better than my larger revolvers.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've been pocket carrying a model 442 for a few years, but have always had the feeling that if I really needed it I would probably be in trouble. Besides feeling under-powered, it's hard to me to hit a target at more than about 7 yards with the heavy double action pull. So I recently got a Ruger SP101 and it's surprisingly easy to pocket carry. With jeans it's marginal, but I can conceal the end of the grip butt if I position it just right. With khakis or other slacks with larger cut pockets it's a piece of cake. The weight really doesn't bother me. A pleasant surprise.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can't change the cartridge on that 442 but you sure can change the hard trigger! I just bought a couple of 642's, one for a daughter, and on mine the trigger pull had to be near 15#. Pulled it apart, stoned and polished the internals and changed the springs. Made a totally different gun out of it. Consider one of the spring kits from Brownell's, or have a good armorer work it over. I can't hit as well as with single action but it sure puts them where you aim now.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the LCR in the 327 Federal. I reload for it and I get another round in the cylinder.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
PF-9 = 18oz loaded with 8 124gr cartridges. LCR = 16oz loaded with 5 158gr cartridges. Hmmmmm.......

D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I did think about the 327 for the extra round, but I already have plenty of brass and bullets and a few speed loaders and dies for the 38. Also, I like the cartridge.

The only .32 I've ever fired was an old 32 S&W long. That was before the 327 came out it it really just never impressed me.

www.wvcdl.org
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
.38's good to go. You can beef it up with some +P 130grain bonded hollow points if you like, or shoot the creampuff 158 round nose for plinking.

Last edited by DollarShort; 12/21/17.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Look for an older S&W model 38 "Airweight". If you can find one, they are just about as close to perfection for a pocket gun as you can get!
Lightweight, shrouded hammer, and still have the ability for single action use if you so choose......

I found one for $300 in a gun store several years back.....swapped out the old, worn, battle scarred factory grips for a set of Sheep horn grips I purchased here in the classifieds.....never fail to receive compliments on that gun.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No flies on the 38, in fact I love the round. I had the sp101 in the 327 federal so why not get an lcr to match. Truth be told, I have a couple of smith J frames. I love those guns. I call them the Barney Miller specials. It seems all the detectives in that show carried a snub nose.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by frogman43
Look for an older S&W model 38 "Airweight". If you can find one, they are just about as close to perfection for a pocket gun as you can get!
Lightweight, shrouded hammer, and still have the ability for single action use if you so choose......

I found one for $300 in a gun store several years back.....swapped out the old, worn, battle scarred factory grips for a set of Sheep horn grips I purchased here in the classifieds.....never fail to receive compliments on that gun.

i picked up a real early version of one of these at an auction a few years ago, they are really light in the hand.
i do't think they were intended to fire thousands of rounds through, or +p ammo, but having said that they are nothing weight wise in the pocket.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i've been thinking about this same thing i've been tossing between lcr 38 and s&w 360

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's hard to best a 642 for the combination of quality, price, effectiveness, and ease of carry.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

204 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 19 invisible), 1,654 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,620
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.