Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
gerry35 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

First off my apologies to 16bore on yet another Tikka thread lol smile (at least it won't be about that certain newish cartridge)

Anyone care to talk about how they like their T3 in one of the short mags? I'm thinking of a T3x in 300 WSM mostly but am also considering the 270 WSM as well.

Gerry.
HR IC

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have the 270 WSM T3 and pick up a 300 WSM T3 tomorrow. I am very happy.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I own a T3 Lite in 300 WSM. It is a RMEF stainless steel synthetic stock version. It is laser accurate and bone stock will shoot sub-moa with multiple of my reloads. I was beyond pleased that it all I had to do for my load development was based on what other T3 300 WSM owners found that worked and graciously made available at websites like this one and used it to for my reloads and wha-la my T3 was turning out groups at or below 0.6" over and over.

When I first bought my T3 Lite I was in a near panic as I couldn't find newly manufactured brass ANYWHERE and no kidding I looked EVERYWHERE. While I was Goggling 300wsm brass I stumbled on a unbelievable deal on Federal Power Shock ammo for considerably less than 1x fired brass for sale on Gunbroker so I bought 100 rounds. This is the only factory ammo I have ever fired from my T3 and I would be lying if I said it shot MOA as it doesn't, it does however ALMOST shoot moa at 1-3/16". Yes the federal ammo has produced three sub moa groups, but the average of six 3-shot 100 yard group is 1-3/16". The remaining 82 rounds of Federal ammo will likely spend its days gathering dust.

I am of the strong opinion that for under $800-$1000 you can not find a better rifle than the Tikka T3 Lite.

gerry35 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info so far, I'll be gone for the next 6 days to visit family for Christmas but will check in when I'm back.

Merry Christmas to all..............

Gerry.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by DTJager
I own a T3 Lite in 300 WSM. It is a RMEF stainless steel synthetic stock version. It is laser accurate and bone stock will shoot sub-moa with multiple of my reloads. I was beyond pleased that it all I had to do for my load development was based on what other T3 300 WSM owners found that worked and graciously made available at websites like this one and used it to for my reloads and wha-la my T3 was turning out groups at or below 0.6" over and over.

When I first bought my T3 Lite I was in a near panic as I couldn't find newly manufactured brass ANYWHERE and no kidding I looked EVERYWHERE. While I was Goggling 300wsm brass I stumbled on a unbelievable deal on Federal Power Shock ammo for considerably less than 1x fired brass for sale on Gunbroker so I bought 100 rounds. This is the only factory ammo I have ever fired from my T3 and I would be lying if I said it shot MOA as it doesn't, it does however ALMOST shoot moa at 1-3/16". Yes the federal ammo has produced three sub moa groups, but the average of six 3-shot 100 yard group is 1-3/16". The remaining 82 rounds of Federal ammo will likely spend its days gathering dust.

I am of the strong opinion that for under $800-$1000 you can not find a better rifle than the Tikka T3 Lite.

How is the recoil on the T3 Lite in 300 WSM?

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
IC B2

Solution to Extending OAL in Tikka WSM Rifles

We've had a lot of folks ask about how they can maximize the performance of their Tikka rifles that are chambered in WSM calibers -- .300 WSM, .270 WSM, etc. -- especially in regards to running heavy for caliber bullets like the Berger VLDs and Hornady ELDs. The main issues have been 1) the Tikka factory magazine for WSM cases being too short for optimal seating depth with the heavies and 2) limited compatible aftermarket bottom metal parts.

We have recently released 2 different bottom metal models for Tikka rifles that will allow an OAL of 3.50”. One is compatible with any AICS 3.715" steel magazine -AND- will fit the factory stock or any aftermarket stock inletted for the factory bottom metal. We have a second model that mates the Sako/TRG42 magazines with the Tikka action. The double stack configuration of this magazine feeds the WSM cases exceptionally well.

To use our DBM, the rifle's bolt stop will need to be swapped out from the factory "short action" to a "long action".

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RedSnake; 12/22/17.

Tikka nEXTgen Bottom Metal
www.redsnake-tactical.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gerry35
Thanks for the info so far, I'll be gone for the next 6 days to visit family for Christmas but will check in when I'm back.

Merry Christmas to all..............

And to you and yours, Gerry.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a T3 Hunter in 270 WSM for many years now. Love it!! Only thing I've done to it was add a Limbsaver pad. Made a huge difference. I mainly load 130 Partitions in it now. Did allot of killing with the 150 grain Win PP factory load accumulating brass to handload. Like most Tikkas it shoots just about anything extremely well.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
When I used paired 300WSM's with Tikka's I always put on a Limbsaver pad. Made it more comfortable. I never thought the 270WSM needed it but your opinion may differ.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Market for used rifles is soft right now, so it's a good time to buy. I purchased a lightly used T3 Lite blued synthetic .270 WSM for $360 to my FFL yesterday from GunBroker. Will use it to back up my Sako A7S Tecomate .270 WSM.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
IC B3

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by VAhuntr

How is the recoil on the T3 Lite in 300 WSM?

How is the recoil? Well to begin I will not say I am immune to recoil because I m not. But I have a level of tolerance beyond most peoples. I feel my ability to basically ignore most harsh recoiling rifles is because I started my big game hunting life shooting magnum 12 gauge 2.75" and 3.0" 1.0oz and 1.375oz Foster slugs by the dozens at each bench session from a iron sighted Remington 870 with a 20" smooth bore cylinder choke which weighed under 7 lbs and not knowing better, I guess I simply accepted the recoil as normal. Prior to this the most powerful rifle I had shot was a 243 while ground hog hunting. We're talking launching projectiles weighing from 437 to 600 grains at a MV from 1400 to 1600 fps. My other rifles I have fired hundreds of rounds from in the process of load development include a M700 in 338wm, a 116/WW 7mmstw, a Savage 10ML-II smokeless ML firing 300 grain projectiles at a MV of 2350fps and now my T3 Lite in 300 wsm. The only firearm I ever shot from the bench that made me raise the white flag in less than 10 shots were 12 gauge 3.5" magnum 2oz turkey loads out of a 6.75lb 870.

I will also say all of my heavy recoiling long guns all wear a Sims Limb Saver Air tech aftermarket recoil pad, and yes they REALLY do work as advertised as it has significantly reduced my felt recoil on every rifle I installed one on and there on ALL of my heavy recoiling long guns, including my T3. My first range session with my 300wsm T3 was with the factory recoil pad and yes the recoil although substantial was not FOR ME unbearable, but enough that I went to my near by Cabelas and bought a Limb Saver Air tech RC on the way home form my first range session with the T3.

I also sometimes but not always wear a PAST magnum recoil arresting shoulder pad and this combined with the LSAT AM/RP I can easily shoot 30 or so rounds from the bench using no other recoil absorbing rests or devices. I use a Bald Eagle front rest and Protektor rear bag. I will not lie, yes the recoil is substantial but FOR ME completely manageable. I have learned when shooting my heavy recoiling rifles to roll with the recoil and not fight it at all. Also my friend owns a T3 Lite in 300 WM and I have shot it, and no doubt in my mind it's recoil is noticeably more than my 300wsm.

My advice is if you are going to buy a T3 in a heavy recoiling caliber PRIOR to shooting it, install a Limbs Saver Air Tech RP and buy either a Limb Saver or PAST recoil shield and unless you are recoil sensitive, you should be OK. I have fired my T3 in simulated hunting shooting positions while standing, kneeling, sitting and off shooting sticks and again as I "roll" with the recoil it not that bad. My 870 with magnum turkey loads is MUCH, MUCH worse.

What caliber rifles have you shot to date? Any magnums? If I were going to recommend a magnum to a person who is concerned about recoil I would suggest the 7mm RM. I have shot several including offerings from Remington, Browning and Savage and I felt the recoil was equal to but certainly no greater than a similar weight rifle (+/- 8.5lbs) in 30/06.

Last edited by DTJager; 12/23/17.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by RedSnake
Solution to Extending OAL in Tikka WSM Rifles

We've had a lot of folks ask about how they can maximize the performance of their Tikka rifles that are chambered in WSM calibers -- .300 WSM, .270 WSM, etc. -- especially in regards to running heavy for caliber bullets like the Berger VLDs and Hornady ELDs. The main issues have been 1) the Tikka factory magazine for WSM cases being too short for optimal seating depth with the heavies and 2) limited compatible aftermarket bottom metal parts.

We have recently released 2 different bottom metal models for Tikka rifles that will allow an OAL of 3.50”. One is compatible with any AICS 3.715" steel magazine -AND- will fit the factory stock or any aftermarket stock inletted for the factory bottom metal. We have a second model that mates the Sako/TRG42 magazines with the Tikka action. The double stack configuration of this magazine feeds the WSM cases exceptionally well.

To use our DBM, the rifle's bolt stop will need to be swapped out from the factory "short action" to a "long action".

[Linked Image]

Or you can do what countless other T3 owners, myself included have done and buy a long action bolt stop and a magazine for long action calibers. No other modification is needed as Tikka uses the same stocks on both their long and standard action rifles.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[quote=VAhuntr
How is the recoil on the T3 Lite in 300 WSM?[/quote]
Mine is tolerable with an aftermarket "Limbsaver Pad", about like a 12 ga. pump shotgun. I think it would be brutally distracting with a factory tikka pad.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Or you can do what countless other T3 owners, myself included have done and buy a long action bolt stop and a magazine for long action calibers. No other modification is needed as Tikka uses the same stocks on both their long and standard action rifles.

DT,
Question as I don’t own one yet: will the fat WSM or SAUM case fit in the Tikka long action magazine? Not having seen one, I assume the Tikka WSM’s would have a specific magazine. Thanks!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

DT,
Question as I don’t own one yet: will the fat WSM or SAUM case fit in the Tikka long action magazine? Not having seen one, I assume the Tikka WSM’s would have a specific magazine. Thanks!

Probably have to buy the Tikka mag for the 7mm and 300 magnums.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 56 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,331
Posts18,487,575
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.