Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Satx,
You will never buy a functional 760/7600 at any auction around here, for $100.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rem141r
so why a 9.3 and not a 35 whelen? seems they are pretty similar and whelen ammo/components are easier to find. i love my whelen carbine. its a one holer with remington factory ammo.

The 9.3x62 has a greater "cool" factor than the 35 Whelen?

Maybe .366" bullets are more magical than .358" bullets?

For me, it would be because I already load for the 9.3x62, don't for the 35 Whelen, and already have a few .358" bore rifles around.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
rem141r; 260Remguy,

YES the Whelen & the old Mauser cartridge are quite similar & if you plan to never hunt in Europe or Africa, you are no better off with the 9.3x62 than you are with the .35 Whelen.
(In my case, I have been invited to hunt in Moldova/Ukraine and plan to head to southern Africa to try to take a Cape Buffalo & hopefully a leopard next Fall.)

The old Mauser cartridge is legal almost everywhere in Africa for dangerous game & the Whelen is not lawful there for those same species.

Truth is I cannot see buying another rifle, in another quite similar caliber that I don't handload. Further, I refuse to get into an argument about which caliber is better, though I've recently "made fun of" the "www experts", who claim that the classic calibers like .30-06 or .35 Whelen are, "Inadequate for hunting".

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Dillonbuck,

SPOT ON. You won't likely find any functional rifle in ANY caliber for a bargain around here at the auctions. = Generally in south TX & on the Worldwideweird, firearms at gun auctions sell for MORE than the firearms are worth at "private treaty".
(Bidding wars are quite common at auctions.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by satx78247

The old Mauser cartridge is legal almost everywhere in Africa for dangerous game & the Whelen is not lawful there for those same species.

I believe the only African country where a 9.3 would be legal but a 35 would not is in Zimbabwe. Many of the countries with minimum caliber restrictions have 375 as minimum, so the 9.3 wouldn't be legal either, at least on paper.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The cool thing about the Whelen is the ability to use handgun bullets, some of which will still expand when fired subsonic, as in through a suppressor. A Pump Remington could be threaded, and suppressed with a pistol can as long as one was running sub-sonic loads.

Another cool option for the Whelen is the light Cutting Edge Raptors. I shot 160 grain Raptors at 3100 fps in a Whelen, which made a decently flat shooting rig for open country.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
prairie goat,

IF you actually check the "minimal caliber restrictions", I believe that you will find that virtually all the Sub-Saharan countries exempt the old Mauser round from those laws.

Btw, one thing that I like about the .35 Whelen is that you can use .38SPL/.357MAG PBCB boolits for "small game hunting".

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Tex,
I've heard of 9.3 rounds being exempt, but have not found it in official writing, hearing that is was more of an un-official policy. If you could point out where there's an official policy to allow 9.3s, I'd sure like to see it.

I understand that we're talking about Africa and official rules may be a bit more fluid in the bush, but if one were bending the rules, then it might be possible to bend them another .008" down to .358. I say this with no African experience, so please bear with me and if I'm way off, feel free to correct me.

Billy

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
prairie goat,

The 9.3x62 was "grandfathered in" in most African nations, as the caliber was known to be adequate for dangerous game up to & including elephant. - Offhand, I cannot give you line & citation BUT every professional hunter that is on the African hunting forum agrees with my comment.
(You are FREE to disbelieve me/them.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've heard about the 9.3x62 being grandfathered in while reading at AR and speaking to folks in the know, and certainly don't doubt you. What I was getting at, is if the law isn't being followed the letter by carrying a 9.3, then what would it matter to carry a 35 Whelen, especially with prior consent from the PH? Can't see how a 280 grain A-Frame, 250 tsx, or 310 Woodleigh launched from a Whelen would be any different than a 9.3x62 on game, but I don't intend to pull you into argument over "which is better", nor am I interested in such exercise! I believe our friend RinB has used the Whelen in Africa, and would be the fellow to ask for specifics on large African game with the Whelen. Haven't seen him post lately, hope he's off hunting!

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
JustLucky,

Fwiw, you might well have shot that much IF you had a virtually unlimited supply of free ammo to expend. = I truly MISS being asked how much ammo that our people wanted for practice, when I was on duty with the MPC.
(I don't ever remember being told that whatever quantity that I named was "just too much" or "excessive". = One afternoon in 1987, I remember being asked if I didn't want another case of .38SPL Ball, as "it's in the way". - My driver loaded it in the PU bed & it was expended that weekend by our MPs & DoD Police. We had LOTS of Korean War era Colt's & S&W revolvers in the arms room in those long-ago days.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I've heard about the 9.3x62 being grandfathered in while reading at AR and speaking to folks in the know, and certainly don't doubt you. What I was getting at, is if the law isn't being followed the letter by carrying a 9.3, then what would it matter to carry a 35 Whelen, especially with prior consent from the PH? Can't see how a 280 grain A-Frame, 250 tsx, or 310 Woodleigh launched from a Whelen would be any different than a 9.3x62 on game, but I don't intend to pull you into argument over "which is better", nor am I interested in such exercise! I believe our friend RinB has used the Whelen in Africa, and would be the fellow to ask for specifics on large African game with the Whelen. Haven't seen him post lately, hope he's off hunting!

Probably better ask Rin B because you are completely full of BS!!!

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lets get this back on track, I kinda like this one.....

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
78CJ,

AH YES. The CLASSIC 141. = I once had one that I liked very much & hunted with "in the thick stuff" in .32REM. ===> I traded it EVEN for a LEOPOLD-scoped 700BDL LH in .30-06 (and that had an exceptionally figured stock) to a TX pawnbroker, who needed the .32 for a "complete set".

SADLY, it was stolen when I was OCONUS, when my favorite "girl cousin's" ( Paula) house was burglarized. =The burglars essentially stripped Paula's house out to the bare walls. - They even managed to steal her VERY HEAVY square-grand Steinway player piano. = They backed a moving van up to the house, while she was oot on business.
(Paula's neighbors sat & watched her house being stripped & didn't call the police, as one "witness" told HPD that, "I thought that she was moving.")

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ok CJ tells us down under fellas all about that one

Johno

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by johno
Ok CJ tells us down under fellas all about that one

Johno

I have had this one for a while, Remington Model 14R Carbine with 18 1/2" Barrel in .32 Rem, with the Thumbnail Safety. I don't think they made too many of them.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by RGK
Interesting story on that, Jim. When I bought this, I was assigned to the 82nd Abn Div scout/sniper program years ago. We trained infantrymen to shoot M-1 Garands (pulled out of mothballs) to hit targets out to 500 meters (they all had Weaver K4 scopes mounted in a side mount). I bought this rifle because we literally had a tractor trailer rig full of LC match and ball at our disposal to shoot up. After the students were gone, we daily shot a couple of hundred rounds (or more) for fun. My rifle had over 18,000 rds through it when I sent it back to Remington. They re-barreled it, fitted a new buttstock (it had several cracks), tuned/rebuilt the trigger and reversed the safety in the custom shop for free. When I contacted them about a rebuild, they told me I had the record for number of rounds fired through a Remington pump. They were very interested in examining my barrel. I kept a log of the number of rounds fired during that period.
Bob

One of my favorite things about this site is how the people here have actual experience. Where else would you hear from someone who actually wore out a Remington pump 30-06?

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
okie john,

NO place else, that I can think of.

Fyi, "my little brother" (He's 70" tall & 240#) actually wore-out a Browning Hi-Power, & returned it to the factory "for repair, if possible. - Please notify me of the charges, ASAP.".
(At 72" & 185#, I'm "the runt of the litter" = Our BIG brother is 74" & about 275#.)

About 3 weeks later, Browning returned the Hi-Power to him (unrepaired) but WITH a brand new BHP at NO CHARGE "with our compliments".
(My guess is that the people at Browning were ASTOUNDED that anyone could actually shoot enough to wear-out a BHP to the point that it was unrepairable.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice rifle you have there. You want to double your money? grin

I like Remington pumps too. Most of mine are more worn than that one. You take excellent care of your rifles.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Here is my .35 Rem 760.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by tzone; 06/01/18.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

279 members (204guy, 673, 2ndwind, 222ND, 1beaver_shooter, 42 invisible), 3,265 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,778
Posts18,535,982
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.