Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
An Addendum :

I'd cherish a known rifle owned by many of our 'mentors', including J B.

ATST (at the same time), I'd drool over a rifle owned by JOC, JRS,
even fragments from Bob Hagel. whistle
laugh laugh laugh

Really there are toooo many guys that I respect in that category AND one of our own here on the 'fire'...

BobinNH !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
HR IC

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
JMHO,

If one was to buy a brand spakin' new Ford F-350 King Ranch edition, would he, just for schitz n' giggles, drive it onto the beach and far enough into the water to cover the roof of the cab. I don't think so.

I'm not a golfer, but if one was to buy a $500 club, would he go out and wrap the shaft around a light pole. I don't think so.

[Linked Image]

yesterday, on my 66th birthday it was dry.

[Linked Image]

the day before, it was dry also!

A couple weeks ago when I was afield it was wet..........

[Linked Image]

and when it is wet,

[Linked Image]

I choose the appropriate instrument!

[Linked Image]

I've heard it said that common sense ain't very common these days!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 12/22/17.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

I even get offended when someone looks at a plastic gun and comments on how nice it is.

Are you FREAKIN serious ?

Then I would certainly 'offend' you about TWO of mine and more that others own ! !

S M H !!!! eek smirk crazy

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Very Good & Very Nice GW.

Well put.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by geedubya
JMHO,

If one was to buy a brand spakin' new Ford F-350 King Ranch edition, would he, just for schitz n' giggles, drive it onto the beach and far enough into the water to cover the roof of the cab. I don't think so.

I'm not a golfer, but if one was to buy a $500 club, would he go out and wrap the shaft around a light pole. I don't think so.

[Linked Image]

yesterday, on my 66th birthday it was dry.

[Linked Image]

the day before, it was dry also!

A couple weeks ago when I was afield it was wet..........

[Linked Image]

and when it is wet,

[Linked Image]

I choose the appropriate instrument!

[Linked Image]

I've heard it said that common sense ain't very common these days!

ya!

GWB

Dang GW you got a lot of big 6 pointers on your place.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I’m probably the odd man out here but honest wear on a blue walnut gun isn’t that objectionable to me and often adds character to a gun. Edge wear in the blue as well as finish wear fon the stock from handling is fine On the other hand rust and gouges from neglect and stupidity really bothers me.i have a friend that will put his gun in the rack on his 4 wheeler and take off bouncing across his farms w/o a thought. His other wise nice guns are a wreck. He is also one of-those that evidently doesn’t own a cleaning rod, he will also lean a gun against a wire fence w/o hesitation yet can’t figure out where all the scratches come from. Drives me nuts. Wear is ok, neglect is not.

Last edited by bangeye; 12/23/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gee nails it again.

I should add, I don't take a classic to war either. There be a place and time for everything.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I love blued steel and walnut. Rarely have I seen an attractive gun built out of anything else, I even get offended when someone looks at a plastic gun and comments on how nice it is.

I don't become offended when someone mentions how nice looking a S/S and plastic rifle is but, I've never seen one that was remotely "nice looking". Cold, impersonal and classless are what I see. Only a fool would argue with their effectiveness, stability and stark functionality but, I ain't gonna own one. 'Course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there's no accounting for taste.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These discussions always bring to mind the first-quality guns the Brits used to drag all over the world. Even with serious use, they often remain in great shape because they received proper care after the hunt (having "people" for that chore is a help, no doubt). I think it comes down to what you're willing (and can afford) to risk. I don't have anything super-fancy, but I do have a few nice pieces with decent walnut. I hunt them, but would probably take something else if I knew there was going to be heavy rain. The exception would be my A5, which is my only serious shotgun, and while it's pretty nice, it can handle weather as long as I clean it up afterward, which its design makes a simple chore. They were designed largely for waterfowl hunting after all (which I don't do).

Having a gun that's too fancy to hunt with is like having a woman that's too pretty to well, you know.... cook!

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
As far as I'm concerned, the companies built them to use. Use, not abuse. I try to take care of my wood/blued guns, and the others, too.

I did recently buy an RAR .22 Mag. in stainless, to keep in the truck, for whatever needs. I keep them cased, even on truck rides. As long as I don't ABuse them, I have no regrets. They were made to use, after all.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No, no queens reside here.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don’t own any rifles that aren’t nice..........all are stainless and synthetic.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500
No, no queens reside here.

Same here.
And there are no "safe" marks on any of them. All the marks on mine have been earned. whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwall

I even get offended when someone looks at a plastic gun and comments on how nice it is.

Are you FREAKIN serious ?

Then I would certainly 'offend' you about TWO of mine and more that others own ! !

S M H !!!! eek smirk crazy

Jerry

I posted that thinking of a friends reaction to one of my AR's. He commented on how nice it looked, I assumed he was being nice. I have more attractive wrenches and hammer! But it is a decent AR.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wife bought me a Browning BLR White Gold Medallion this year . Beautiful rifle! guess what? I took it deer hunting .

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by lastround
I don’t own any rifles that aren’t nice..........all are stainless and synthetic.

Way back there Skeeter Skelton said pertaining to handguns....

"There's nothing more practical than SS & Rubber grips."

The principle is the same for rifles.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
SS and Krylon'd synthetic stocks when possible. I don't abuse my rifles but there are times when they get used, and are out in the weather--backpack and horse pack hunting are good examples.

I have 6-7 nice wood stocks in the closet labeled for which rifle they go on and have been replaced with synthetic stocks........

Both of my primary hunting rifles have nice gouges in their synthetic stocks from various "incidents" over the years..........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I do have a few guns that I don't hunt with, mostly because they are a bit heavy. And one that only wakes up when there is an open season on idiots.The former weigh in the 16-25# range, the latter just over 5# as I recall. They are walnut and steel. Water doesn't hurt the M1.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Although I don't own any 'Safe Queens" if its raining out the blued wood stocked guns stay home and the stainless go out to play. I wish I could afford a rifle that in MY OPINION would be to nice to take hunting.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I still own a few that I hesitate to hunt with.

Three are pre-64 model 70s. One is a 300 H&H Magnumj, the second is a .338 Win Mag and lastly, a .358 Win FWT. I have never shot any of these.

I also have a few custom rifles that I don't use. One is a Flaig's 240 PSP, the second is an FN Police Special in 6.5x284, and thirdly, a Don Allen Custom in 9.3X62 that shoots "lights out".

I have shot all of the custom rifles and they are all very accurate, but they tend to be field heavy.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

447 members (1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 45 invisible), 2,125 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,263
Posts18,504,873
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.