Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I have a remington model 7 that is close to 20 years old. It is on its 3rd barrel, not because I wore 2 of them out but just changed things up. I shoot it more than any other rifle and Ive never changed the firing pin spring so I'm wondering if I should just as a good maintenance practice. If I do change it, what would be the best choice, an OEM replacement or an after market spring? Thanks.

Trever

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
M 7

Have you stored the rifle in the 'cocked' position OR have you released the tension on the spring during storage?

I learned yrs. ago to hold the trigger AS I close the bolt, thereby releasing the tension on the spring.......

I have never had to replace a firing pin spring.

Good Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kelbly's recommends every 2000 rounds.

I've changed some of my 700's in the past, probably more from a feel good standpoint than anything. The old ones were definitely shorter as in the link.

[img]https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2015/09/09/is-it-time-to-replace-your-firing-pin-spring/[/img]

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Somewhere in my early years of being exposed to shooting someone told me to take the tension off of the firing pin spring as jwall has posted.

Never have needed to replace a spring.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by jwall
M 7

Have you stored the rifle in the 'cocked' position OR have you released the tension on the spring during storage?

I learned yrs. ago to hold the trigger AS I close the bolt, thereby releasing the tension on the spring.......

Good Luck

Jerry
This. Includes the family 99, acquired by my grandfather in 1920, used heavily by him and my dad, still goes "Bang!" every time.

Last edited by shootinurse; 12/23/17.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Springs wear out from cycling, not from compression.

Politics is War by Other Means
M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
M 7

Good Luck

Jerry

I've always stored my rifles with actions open, so the spring would be under max tension(oops, I meant compression). I'm not having any trouble with the rifle, but just wondering if the spring would be getting tired even if it still functions.

Last edited by mod7rem; 12/23/17.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’ve never changed one

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
After market springs can be more consistent which can improve accuracy. I have not bought into the speed springs and pins and usually check to see if Wolf has one just slightly heavier than factory specs.

Have I needed to replace a spring? No.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mod7rem

I've always stored my rifles with actions open, so the spring would be under max tension. I'm not having any trouble with the rifle, but just wondering if the spring would be getting tired even if it still functions.

The only answer is YES. Constant compression.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
M 7

Good Luck

Jerry

Yep.

I have 65 - 75 year old M700's and M70's that I see no problem with their springs compared to newer versions.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've been shooting bolt action rifles for 40+ years. In the early years I never relaxed a spring when putting the rifle away for any period of time but I do it now. Over all those years I've never found a need to change a firing pin spring.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've replaced firing pin springs on two bolt-action rifles due to problems. In both instances there were a few sporadic failure-to-fire episodes and new springs cleared up both rifles. The round count/dry firing was very high in both rifles.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not quite as often as Pelosi has voted in favor of America.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve never changed one

Me either, and I have a couple of rifles that I've had for a very long time. I think that, on a list of things to do, it would be about number 999,000,123.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never changed out any main springs excepting for a well used 1911. Believe that dirt build up causes most problems blamed on springs. I pull the bolt apart on my rifles every so often and give them a cleaning and light lube.
1911 magazine springs have functioned just fine after remaining loaded for decades. They are compressed a hell of a lot more than your typical bolt action spring.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had bolt actions from the first world war to function perfectly. I have no idea how many rounds the rifles fired, but I've never had an issue with ignition due to weak springs.

Think about how many times a valve spring on a vehicle is cycled. Accept for extremely high rpm race engines, a properly designed coil spring is going to be good for 100's of millions of cycles.

It certainly won't hurt anything to replace the spring.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never changed one even on the old rifles. Guess I don't shoot enough.

Springs, particularly of old alloys, do take a set and this is (should be) taken into account. Springs of modern alloys are better in reliability. You wouldn't want to run a carbon steel valve spring like that.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have a CZ 527 about 8 years old that a gunsmith lightened the trigger on (too much in my opinion). Last year I started getting more erratic grouping from the bench. It also started following thru or discharging as the bolt closed. I store it with tension on the spring. I put a new spring in it and all was well again. Took a while for CZ to have the springs in stock so wondered if more guns were having problems.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by fishdog52

1911 magazine springs have functioned just fine after remaining loaded for decades. They are compressed a hell of a lot more than your typical bolt action spring.

A sincere ? Are those COIL springs - as small as firing pin springs ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 48 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,443
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.