Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
ronc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image]

Shooting left, brand new gun, shoots tight groups but left. Tried 3 different powders all grouped the same as pictured. This is from a rest @ 10 yards.
Send it back or live with it? Don't know if Uberti covers sight regulation or not. BTW, this thing is tight and has a slick buttery smooth action :grin

Last edited by ronc; 12/24/17.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't send back a gun that shoots well. Not that the factory will mess it up, but tightening the barrel to bring the groups right could cause a choke in the barrel and ruin accuracy. I would take a jewelers file to the range and take a few swipes on the rear sight, shoot to see the effect on POI and repeat until the windage was corrected.. I have an S&W mdl 10 that shot left and a few swipes of a file to get rid of a burr in the rear sight slot and slightly open up the slot was all that was needed to get the windage zeroed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Send it back. They can do better.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Does your grip have anything to do with it?

R
ronc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
No and i can adjust for bullseye just a tad aggrivating.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Beautiful peacemaker...

I'd be torn about sending it back. Maybe.
Just maybe file judiciously on the rear sight...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Send it back. I think they will just turn the barrel if it's shooting left. I sent my Uberti back that was shooting right, IIRC. In that case they replace the barrel - which they did. 100% send it back immediately. It wasn't that model but similar. My El Patron shoots great. Send that target with it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Try another Handload. With another powder. Different loads shoot to different POA. I've done this with many of my SAA that didn't shoot to POA. I'd try some Tite Group.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I wouldn't send back a gun that shoots well. Not that the factory will mess it up, but tightening the barrel to bring the groups right could cause a choke in the barrel and ruin accuracy. I would take a jewelers file to the range and take a few swipes on the rear sight, shoot to see the effect on POI and repeat until the windage was corrected.. I have an S&W mdl 10 that shot left and a few swipes of a file to get rid of a burr in the rear sight slot and slightly open up the slot was all that was needed to get the windage zeroed.

If the groups are that tight I would just take a little at a time from the right side of the rear sight and call it good when it is centered if that is going to be your primary load. Judging by the group size I would think it wood be. Just go real slow and a little at a time

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I have a Cattleman from the same company that I bought back around 1988. It printed in exactly the same place. Probably not a recommended fix, but I carefully bent the front sight to the left, and got it to shoot dead center in terms of windage.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I have a Cattleman from the same company that I bought back around 1988. It printed in exactly the same place. Probably not a recommended fix, but I carefully bent the front sight to the left, and got it to shoot dead center in terms of windage.

That is a good looking and accurate single action, Ron.

I love the bombproof simplicity of fixed sights and I am OCD when it comes to zero. I ain't happy until the bullet land on the center of the front sight at 50 paces.

I've had probably a dozen fixed sight single actions that shot a little left and needed corrected. Original Vaqueros are often left shooters. If they're hitting left the barrel needs screwed in a tad. I've done that, adjusted the rear notch to filed the front sight on one side. I've put the barrel in a padded vise and applied hammer & punch diplomacy to the front sight. Often I used a combination of the three to accomplish getting them zeroed.

Last edited by SargeMO; 12/24/17.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
TRH and Sarge are right.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not to sound snitty, but...

1. That group at 30 ft is good, but nothing spectacular--it's certainly nothing uncommon, so I'd send the gun back. But before you do...

2. Has somebody else shot it? (Again, not trying to be unkind, but I'd have somebody else shoot it just to make sure it isn't you. Plus, the manufacturer is more likely to be receptive to an alleged accuracy issue if 2 or 3 guys all get the same results from the gun.)

Good luck! I hope you get it worked out!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
High is a problem too, as you can't fix that with a file. Shoot it a bunch without a rest and see where t really shoots. A rest can alter POI.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by K1500
High is a problem too, as you can't fix that with a file. Shoot it a bunch without a rest and see where t really shoots. A rest can alter POI.

That

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
7.5 Grains of Unique is a very mild load. My .45 Colt loads in the Single Action Army start closer to 8.5. I'd bet if you tried that, you'd be perfect elevation wise. Still, at 10 yards, your bullet is still climbing, so at 25 yards, your current load and hold will be considerably higher!

I wouldn't make any changes at 10 yards. I'd only make changes after I've fired the weapon at the ranges I expect to be using it.

Last edited by Dan_Chamberlain; 12/25/17.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
7.5 Grains of Unique is a very mild load. My .45 Colt loads in the Single Action Army start closer to 8.5. I'd bet if you tried that, you'd be perfect elevation wise. Still, at 10 yards, your bullet is still climbing, so at 25 yards, your current load and hold will be considerably higher!

I wouldn't make any changes at 10 yards. I'd only make changes after I've fired the weapon at the ranges I expect to be using it.

Dan beat me to the keyboard. I run 8.5 of Universal under 255's. Gassing that load up, within safe limits, will help correct elevation. So will switching to a 230 grain bullet.

R
ronc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Upped the charge to 8.3grs of Unique, rotor 17. Elevation is pefect now but still shoots left about an inch or so. I'm not sending it back but will try filing the rear sight a touch as suggested. If someone could put me on the correct file i need it would help alot, relly don't know exactly what i need. I suppose a little cold blue will hide the file marks, right?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try less finger on the trigger first (assuming you are right handed). Also, shoot it on an overcast day, as sun direction affects POI as you see the sights differently.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ronc
Upped the charge to 8.3grs of Unique, rotor 17. Elevation is pefect now but still shoots left about an inch or so. I'm not sending it back but will try filing the rear sight a touch as suggested. If someone could put me on the correct file i need it would help alot, relly don't know exactly what i need. I suppose a little cold blue will hide the file marks, right?

Glad that corrected your elevation.

I have a couple of tiny pillar files I got from Brownells long ago and they've handled my sight notch work real well, I don'r recall the product # but they're about 3/16 wide, 0.100 thick. fine cut and with a safe edge on both sides.

Last edited by SargeMO; 12/25/17.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16gage, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,365
Posts18,488,160
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.