Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
biggest boat loads of bull crap in history?

Any opinions?

Last edited by bluestem; 12/26/17.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
One of the most inept was Lee Hoots, IMO.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Prolly Clay Harvey.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by montanabadger
Prolly Clay Harvey.

I wonder whatever happened to him? Haven't seen a book or article by him in many years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jim Zumbo

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Zumbo has to be there somewhere.....and yes, I get that he was a hunting writer who occasionally wrote gun articles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know a lot of members here love em both but I've thought for years that like unions, gun writers out grew their usefulness years ago.
Course, that's just my opinion so please feel free to hurl insults and call me names for having one that may differ from yours

Last edited by FieldGrade; 12/26/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bluestem
Prolly Clay Harvey.

I wonder whatever happened to him? Haven't seen a book or article by him in many years.

It has been written that he got drummed out of the business for a variety of reasons, including selling guns and ammo that had been sent to him for testing. IIRC, Dogzapper had a good story about a rifle that Kimber of Oregon sent to Clay, but Clay sold it and the guy who he sold it to contacted KofO about it.

It has also been written that he "borrowed" a lot of his "experience" from other people, but so did Peter Hathaway Capstick and PHC is generally thought of as a good story teller.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
There used to be a TV show of "experts", one for shotgun, pistol and rifle. Can't remember the names, but the rifle guy was a complete dumba$$.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Prolly Clay Harvey.

I'll second this nomination; Clay Harvey just regurgitated other writers words and ideas and finally "retired" to the out-lands. Does anyone know is whereabouts or what's he's up to?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Elmer Keith

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I know a lot of members here love em both but I've thought for years that like unions, gun writers out grew their usefulness years ago.
Course, that's just my opinion so please feel free to hurl insults and call me names for having one that may differ from yours

Why would anyone do that?

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There are still a few good ones. The problem is the magazines have seemed to water down the length and content of the articles are gear them more towards vehicles to present their advertisers wares than provide information.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Course, that's just my opinion so please feel free to hurl insults and call me names for having one that may differ from yours.

The internet is putting the printed word out of business pretty quickly. So, I agree with you.

Most of them are simply just paid product reviewers now.

The thing is, I tend to trust reviews over the internet by guys that really know what they are doing more than paid gun writers that review products now.

They can add me to the list for name calling now too! laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bluestem
biggest boat loads of bull crap in history?

Any opinions?

The list has too many contenders to narrow it down to just one. How about a top 10 list?

I have always looked at most gun-writers just another form of fiction. They are no different than a car salesman, it is their job to convince you that you need the latest-and-greatest item that just came out. I have met quite a few during the years and generally speaking if they weren't gun writers they would probably be working at "Honest Joe's Used Cars".

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Elmer Keith

Mike

Elmer Keith did spout a lot of grandiose thoughts (he was slightly full of himself, as well), but he did have a wealth of experience in a time when experimentation was not well organized in the firearms industry. So many of the advances started with guys like Keith.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I knew Bill Jordan and spent a bit of time with him in the late '70s and '80s. Jordan had a high opinion of Elmer Keith.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No one person in particular but a trend being embraced by many, writers and TV hosts. I understand that the long range hunting equipment suppliers are hot and sexy and evidently rich. But ......STOP!! ......selling this crap that you can spend thousands of dollars on gadgets and that will automatically make you capable of long range shooting. Rather you would spend your time and energy and visibility convincing people to learn to HUNT.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Elmer Keith

Mike

Ha! Keith is the one that made the most sense out of all of them!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Zumbo and Clay Harvey are in a class by themselves in BS levels. Chuck Taylor's writing seem to contain some out and out fabrications. He also seems to think his rather unusual handgun techniques are the best for everyone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 1,959 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,755
Posts18,495,459
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.