-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ron Spoomer. Don't think he's ever written anything that wasn't a rehash of someone else's work.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
L.P Brezny.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

L. P. Brezny.......what f'ing putz.......

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Aside from the usual product prostitutes, Ralph Lermayer was as full of schidt as a Christmas turkey!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I never cared for Ron Spomer's articles or the abundance of opinions he expressed in them. But, back when I watched hunting shows, his were pretty good as far as hunting shows go. I started thinking of him as more of a "hunting guy" than a dedicated "gun guy". Sorta like Zumbo, but far less douchebaggery (sp?).

I like reading Keith. A lot. But he was certainly capable of writing things that really left me scratching my head from time to time. I do think he had a breadth of real world experience that most will never possess (which, in some cases, left me scratching my head even more).

I don't think gunwriters have anywhere near outgrown their usefulness, perhaps only because when I was young, I really wanted to be one. But I would allow that the internet has allowed for an exchange of information that, in many cases, has far outrun what the usual publications have managed to keep up with.

Case in point, I started reading gun rags when I was 15. I learned a lot from Seyfried, Milek, Keith, O'Connor, Barsness, Peirce, and even Scovill. But, in the last 15 years, I have also learned A LOT on here and a few other sites. Though gun magazines generally have somewhat less drama............

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I used to take all of the gun rags, down to Handloader now.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco

Brian Pearce who writes for Handloader is a friend of mine. He is indeed a good gun writer, and knows his stuff inside out. I've hunted and shot with him, and know he's a great guy.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like Brian Pearce also. Good writer and well worth the read.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've learned more about handloading pistol cartridges (plus the .45-70) from Brian Pearce than anyone else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While waiting at the tire shop for a flat repair, I picked up one of those "tactical black rifle" mags, never before had I read such a complete crock of horse manure in my life, the authors lived in some nether world of mall commandos, articles were all written at about a 6th grade reading level. Total drivel.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't mind the over zealous stuff, but if they say it they have to listen to the feed back

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I know a lot of members here love em both but I've thought for years that like unions, gun writers out grew their usefulness years ago.
Course, that's just my opinion so please feel free to hurl insults and call me names for having one that may differ from yours.

The internet is putting the printed word out of business pretty quickly. So, I agree with you.

Most of them are simply just paid product reviewers now.

The thing is, I tend to trust reviews over the internet by guys that really know what they are doing more than paid gun writers that review products now.

They can add me to the list for name calling now too! laugh

The problem with the writers reviews is the manufacturers are advertising customers of that very mag/rag.
Any wonder that you never see a critical review?

The only magazine I still subscribe to is FF&G.......for the old Lew and Charlie stories.... smile
Plus...they put my picture in one edition years ago.....my fifteen minutes of fame.
I'd post the pic but I'm sure everyone already knows there was a Cat involved. smile

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Was it Lee Hoots that said in print that the 270 was not adequate for mule deer hunting?

It was so ridiculous that I thought it was some kind of joke. I read the whole thing and realized it was for real. I can make an excuse for ignorance, but that was simply stupidity.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
About the only gun mags I read these days are Rifle and Handloader. As far as writers go, I'm not a big fan of Hoots and Towsley. But, I simply don't care for their writing. One writer that puzzles me a bit is Craig Bonnington- I don't get a whole lot out of his articles but I love his books; some of my favorites, for sure. Perhaps it's just the magazine format that gets me...

Last edited by 340boy; 12/26/17.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by hanco

Brian Pearce who writes for Handloader is a friend of mine. He is indeed a good gun writer, and knows his stuff inside out. I've hunted and shot with him, and know he's a great guy.

That's good to know. I like Pearce's writing, for certain.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Someone else said Elmer Keith, and I agree. He was a full of chit as a Christmas turkey.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Zumbo is a donkey. Some buddies of mine took him buck huntin, said it was like taking a window licking dummy, of course zumbos “story” he wrote about was quite different...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
There are a couple that I always skip, unless the article is particularly interesting.

I wish that I could read Layne Simpson's articles. Never been able to. No doubt a very knowledgeable guy,,,,,just dont like how he writes.

Doubt he will lose much sleep over it!

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yep, LP Brezny was right up at the top of the worst. My favorites were always Rick Jamison and the best of the best Ross Seyfried, that guy absolutely knew how they all worked; pistol, revolver, shotgun and rifle, as well as being one hell of a competition shooter. He was the driving force in my getting into pistol and revolver competition shooting.
Pearce was/is a fair scribe too, although he stumbled badly whenever he wandered into articles concerning double action revolver shooting, his forte is single actions, where he indeed knows his stuff.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Massad Ayoob

Last edited by chlinstructor; 12/26/17.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 52 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,816
Posts18,496,463
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.