Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Problems exist with paper published articles and Internet articles, but I've noticed more shortcomings with many Internet articles. They are often not well edited. Additionally, the subject matter doesn't receive adequate coverage because the "article" (if you can call a few hundred or even a thousand words an article) is very superficial (inadequate research and testing). That's not to say many such works don't contain useful information, because they do, just not a lot of it.

There are exceptions. Glen Fryxell cast bullet articles come to mind.

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Massad Ayoob

Absolutely....I must have blocked him out of my subconscious. No writer has ever done more to put baseless fear into the mind of the gun carrying public, and law Enforcement, than all the civil attorneys on earth. What a POS.

Last edited by liliysdad; 12/26/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
Yep, LP Brezny was right up at the top of the worst. My favorites were always Rick Jamison and the best of the best Ross Seyfried, that guy absolutely knew how they all worked; pistol, revolver, shotgun and rifle, as well as being one hell of a competition shooter. He was the driving force in my getting into pistol and revolver competition shooting.
Pearce was/is a fair scribe too, although he stumbled badly whenever he wandered into articles concerning double action revolver shooting, his forte is single actions, where he indeed knows his stuff.

Another fan of Seyfried here. I really liked his African hunting stories.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Most of Jeff Coopers writings should be under Fiction in the library.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Talk about spewers of bull crap, I would list the people on here that threw out all these names with out a single example. Good think none of you are "professional" writers.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Back when "Bowhunter Magazine" was in its infancy as a part-time endeavor...Tink Nathan of Tinks #69 fame wrote for Bowhunter and a SLIM BALL of the highest order.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chuck Hawks or Peter Hathaway Capstick.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Friends,

A few comments; Elmer Keith and Bill Jordan were totally the real deal and I was fortunate enough to call both my friends.

Same comments about my long-term friend and confident, Finn Aavgaard. Finn was the best!!! And I miss him horribly.

Brian Pearce I never met, but my non-biological brother, Chub Eastman, totally vouched for him, both as a man and a devotee to killing the sh1t out of critters. Chub (dammit, I miss you, my brother!!!) was an excellent judge of character and I'd have to accept Brian, who I've never met, as a friend and one of the BEST.

Clay Harvey was just the opposite; not an original thought in his tiny brain and a penchant for writing the opinions of others (mostly because he had NO field experience). And, like most amateur writers, he loved to sport six-syllable words that his readers did not understand ... mostly so he would seem intelligent.

Last I heard of Clay, after he swindled me out of about 10-to-15K of Rolex watches, was that the slimy sonofabitch was working as a gopher in a South Carolina yogurt shop.

Perhaps, he is well-suited for that job. Maybe less ... probably less, actually grin

God Bless You All,

Steve

PS. Pete Capstick? Great story-teller, but experience and truthfulness? Maybe not so much grin I met Pete a few times and he was a fun guy, though a boozer and a bullshitter. Still, his words are fun.

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I loved reading Elmer Keith, Finn Aavgaard and Charles Askins.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dick Metcalf. Okay technically, but an elitist Fudd.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The one place I found good writers was Precision Shooting........best magazine ever.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
I used to take all of the gun rags, down to Handloader now.

Handloader is my absolute 'must have' Rifle a little less so. I can miss an issue every now and then and not notice. I am diggin' RECOIL though. It's kinda spendy per copy, but it's a very high quality mag and the content interests me.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
The one place I found good writers was Precision Shooting........best magazine ever.

Dick Wright was the main writer there it seems, he wrote very well. Brennan hisownself was good too, but he left most up to the others.

PS had good technical articles that you don't find in the magazine racks in grocery stores. I have some very old American Rifleman magazines where they had good technical stuff too, back before the lawyers would sue the pants off you for writing a how-to piece and a dumba$$ blew his finger off.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never had much time for Sherriff Wilson and his always pressed white shirt

John Sundra was a toad as well

Nick Sisley got under my skin too

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,408
Posts18,470,229
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.