Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a fixed Leupold FX-II 6x36mm on my M70 feather weight 30-06. Plenty of mounting length.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I have a fixed Leupold FX-II 6x36mm on my M70 feather weight 30-06. Plenty of mounting length.

I had that same scope on two of my Featherweights, mounted with Talley Lightweights. Very pleased with that combo.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 in Talley lows on my 7x57 Featherweight. A Leupold VX-3 in 2.5-8x36 or 3.5-10x40 would work nicely.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Good advice on Leupold 6x36.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Why the preference for variable versus fixed?

In my experience a fixed 4X is too much scope more times than not, but I don't want to be limited to a fixed 2X. I like to be able to go down to 2X for most of my hunting. If needed I can always go up to more magnification. I've actually become quite fond of 1-4X20 scopes, but I don't think it would look right on your rifle.

There was a time when variables were less reliable, I suppose technically they still are, but the difference is insignificant anymore. If I had a really hard kicking DG rifle and were hunting something that would bite back the added reliability of a fixed power scope would be comforting.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by WagonMaster
I am looking for a scope for my new Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .30-06.

Being a lighter weight rifle I don't want a huge scope and would like to stick to a fix power, like 4x.

I am not real knowledgable on scopes which is why I am looking for recommendations from the folks that know more than I do.

Most of my current scopes are Leupold and Redfield. I do have a pre-64 M70 with a Weaver K4 that I really like.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I will also need a good set of rings and I need help with those also.

I've got a new Weaver K4 Classic on my M70 FW(257 Roberts), can't think of a better optic for what you described.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Having a batch of the scopes mentioned...

4 and 6 power Leupolds and Weaver K Series...

2 x 7 Leupold...

The one I don't have is a 2.5 x 8 Leupold...

and also owning several Featherweights...

I'd lean toward the recommendations of Jorge and Ingwe...for the most versatility in the field..

hunting here can be open country or close up in heavy brush or cover...

the 2 x 7 Leupold has spent most of its life, down on 2 power...

and that has taken a couple of bucks at 250 yds plus.. never realized I was handicapped..
large field of view...

rings and bases are Leupold... one piece base...plain vanilla stuff...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 5shot
I went with a 1.5-5x20 on mine...

[Linked Image]

This^^^. VXlll is on my pre 64 M70 FWT 243.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know about the Weaver Classic K4 but the K6 is a pain in the butt to mount. Nice scope for the money if you can get it set up right.

My scopes are variables with different magnification ranges. Depending where I hunt they generally stay on the same power. 3x in the woods and 8x in the pasture. The higher magnification scope gets turned down when I approach the downed deer. I could easily get away with a fixed 6x scope hunting the pastures but I feel a 4x would be too much for me in the woods. That's just me though.

The featherweight I owned years ago wore a 2-7 vari-x ii. I have a Weaver Grand Slam 2-8x36 that is great. The EBX reticle sucks in low light though.

Dan

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Swaro Z3

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by jorgeI
My pick for that rifle would be a Leupold 2.5X8X36. Light, trim scope and as far as rings, Talley Light Weights would be my choice,

Or a Leupold VX2 in 2x7 with the lightweight Talleys...

Or 6x36 LRD in Talley Lwt's.

I have all three of the above, and have had all three on M70 Fwt's. All work, but mounting is a bit more critical with the 2.5-8 and 2-7 because of a shorter tube length. If you go with either those you'll need to spin the front base around pointing backwards. X-Low's work with any of these three.

I have two FWs. One, my main hunting rifle in 3o-o6, scoped with a VX3 2.5-8x36. My other one has a FXII 6x36 LRD on it. Given the option to start over, they'd both have the fixed 6 mounted. I like the 2.5-8 just fine, but the 6x36 LRD is just so easy to use and pretty ideal for my hunting.

Don't agree with the Talley LW option tho... 😜😉

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Wrongside

Yeah, but your a Lefty!

Merry Christmas... smile

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Wrongside

Yeah, but your a Lefty!

Merry Christmas... smile

Haha! Yeah, I am... that must be it. 😉

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Brad!

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My pick for that rifle would be a Leupold 2.5X8X36. Light, trim scope and as far as rings, Talley Light Weights would be my choice,

^^^This^^^

That same scope resides on my Featherweight in 7x57

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I have pre-64 FWT's in 243 and 270, they both wear gloss 2-7 Leupolds in Weaver bases and rings, perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Also had a classic walnut stainless 243 that wore a 3-9 Leupold compact in Talley lightweights, nice setup, should not have sold that one.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like Leupold dual dovetails. I think you could fit up to a 40mm scope in Leupold in low DD Rings.

You will not need an extension base for 3.5-10x40 and probably not for 3-9x40. You will probably need extension base for 2.5-8x36 or 2-7x33. I don’t know pre-64s real well, though. Mine are all 1990s Classic actions. I would be happy to send you pictures if you pm me your email address. I haven’t figured out how to post images on this site.

Good luck.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Dantheman
I don't know about the Weaver Classic K4 but the K6 is a pain in the butt to mount. Nice scope for the money if you can get it set up right.

My scopes are variables with different magnification ranges. Depending where I hunt they generally stay on the same power. 3x in the woods and 8x in the pasture. The higher magnification scope gets turned down when I approach the downed deer. I could easily get away with a fixed 6x scope hunting the pastures but I feel a 4x would be too much for me in the woods. That's just me though.

The featherweight I owned years ago wore a 2-7 vari-x ii. I have a Weaver Grand Slam 2-8x36 that is great. The EBX reticle sucks in low light though.

Dan

The K4 was easy in plain old Weaver Top Mounts, my 257 is a long action, same set up should work on the OP's rifle.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have a Swaro Z3 3-9x36 on mine that I'm very happy with. In a fixed power 4X I would probably go Zeiss Conquest if you can find one.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Anybody know which gloss scope matches the FWT best (mine is an XTR)?

I got a Leupold 6x42, and it looks okay but not quite the same.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by magshooter1
Originally Posted by ingwe

Or a Leupold VX2 in 2x7 with the lightweight Talleys...

Either of these suggestions is great right down to the Talley Lightweights. I'd lean toward the 2.5-8x36 personally.

Its second nature for me to lower the mag while moblie which is more useful for rapid target aquisition and shooting if game gets up and going through brush or timber at close range or for more light at dusk and dawn.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 81 invisible), 2,669 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,593
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.