Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I found a horseradish root at the store today. Any tips on making horseradish sauce from scratch?

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
first, do this outside.

skin the root and cut it into chunks and grind it in the food processor and add white vinegar a little at a time until it turns into a slurry of desired consistency.

nothing else to it.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sometime, probably well over a year ago, we were gifted a small jar of locally-grown/prepared horseradish. Not being a big user of same, I forgot about it in the back of the 'fridge. When we had our rib roast the other day, my son asked if we had any horseradish. Remembering the forgotten home brew, I bypassed the store-bought. After warning him that this stuff was hell on wheels, we took our first taste, only to find that after its sojourn, it was now revoltingly sweet.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
My late father was a fan of horseradish, I, sadly, am not man enough to enjoy the root. It over powers beef.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I went against rem141r recommendations of doing it outside because of the single digit weather. Next time I will make it outside.....but I can say I'm breathing much better now. Stupid easy to make and so much better than store bought. I added a little salt too.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I know someone that is English and his claim is that if it is not ground at the table it is not fresh enough, therefore unfit to eat.
Follow rem141r's advice.

Years a go I grew a bunch and started running it through the grinder in the kitchen.
Luckily I was finally able to find the door and get outside and them open it and storm door to air the place out so it was inhabitable again.
GADFRY, that is some kind of powerful in enclosed spaces.
Think Wasabi effect times 100 in your eyes and sinus'.

I will go so far as suggesting that you check wind direction outside.

And if you grow it, every little piece of root left in the ground is a new plant next year.

A good hoseradish on a fine piece of beef is the "cats meow" I must say!

Last edited by LouisB; 12/29/17.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ridgerunner85
I went against rem141r recommendations of doing it outside because of the single digit weather. Next time I will make it outside.....but I can say I'm breathing much better now. Stupid easy to make and so much better than store bought. I added a little salt too.

can't say i didn't warn ya. smile

the first time i made it was years ago when my kids were little. i fired up the food processor and pretty soon everybody in the house was coughing and crying. it was like tear gas, and i know what thats like.

good stuff though but don't make too much ahead of time. it mellows with age.

and the roots are stupid easy to grow. actually once planted, its hard to kill. you can grow in alongside the garage or in any small area. leaves look like tobacco.

My diploma is a DD214
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Last time I helped with the grinding, about a half hour in, my nose started bleeding. It was good horseradish though.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Last time I helped with the grinding, about a half hour in, my nose started bleeding. It was good horseradish though.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Ground root, sugar, vinegar and salt. Horseradish is also delicious when mixed with red beets....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,625 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,590
Posts18,473,439
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.