Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Actually, most of what's described here, and what happened to me and thousands of others at my company, is Reverse Discrimination through Affirmative Action. My company, in order to avoid lengthy legal troubles, signed off on a Consent Decree which obligated them to hire and promote women and minorities in preference to us white fellers, to balance out the discrimination they had practiced before (which was true, in part anyway). This left many better-qualified and able people behind while putting a lot of poor candidates in jobs they couldn't handle, because the primary qualifications became race and/or sex, not ability. It's impossible to calculate the cost to the company of having to hire extra people to do the work the AA folks couldn't handle, but clearly they thought it was less than the expense of a bunch of lawsuits and bad publicity. What it cost me and others was being stuck in lower-paying jobs until the quotas were filled and the workforce balanced to the government's satisfaction.

Some of the AA people went on to become valuable, capable employees while others were drags on the whole shebang for their entire careers and often attitude cases to boot because they knew they were pretty much bullet-proof., but the company got by, and those of us that were held back eventually caught up to where we belonged. My second-level manager promoted a bunch of us in one fell swoop to make up for what we'd been denied, and I imagine others did as well. I never resented the AA people myself (unless I had trouble because they couldn't do their job, even after years of experience), but I was pissed at the company for putting us in this situation in the first place by discriminating and then rolling over rather than seeking a fair settlement for what they'd done, costing good employees thousands each in missed higher wages and opportunities.

Still, I came out smelling like a rose in the end. One of Life's little lessons.

How many times were you told "two wrongs don't make a right" when you were a child?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was a general manager at a Chevrolet dealer in the 90's, trying hard to get my own store via dealer development with GM. I was told point blank to stop applying that only minorities were being accepted.....

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago I was an office manager for a nation wide trucking company. We needed to hire a driver. A Mexican came in to apply, or rather he sat in the car and sent his wife in. The boss told her to go get him. When he came in, we could see in an instant that this wasn't anyone we needed in one of our trucks. It wasn't racist at all. If he'd been a good man he might have got hired but he wasn't. We didn't have a minority on the crew and the boss knew that if this guy filled out an application there was a good chance that we'd own him. The trick was to keep him from officially applying.
The boss was a quick thinker. "One of the requirements of the job is to back a set of triples. Can you do that?"
"No, I can no back triples."
"Sorry, but you don't appear to be qualified for this job."

He left and we celebrated. Of course nobody can back a set of triples more than 3' and then only on a very flat lot with the trailers in a perfectly straight line.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doesn't apply to the government, dontcha know?😜

Like I said, a life lesson.

What fresh Hell is this?
21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everybody should just start checking the "black" box on the application forms. I mean, what are they gonna do. Would pretty much end the bullshit.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 21
Everybody should just start checking the "black" box on the application forms. I mean, what are they gonna do. Would pretty much end the bullshit.

These days you can "identify" as whatever you want.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jnyork
In about 1980 I tested for the Post Office, got high-ranking scores, put in for an interview, was told not to bother unless I was a minority female.

Somewhat same time frame and same results. I needed some kind of preference points that a white male that was reliable, quick learning and hard working, counted as zero( hell basically negative)

No biggy though. I"ve never made a post about it. Its life. While I despise a lot of things including where I"ve worked the last 15 years and how they screwed me on my retirement so far, its what it is and make the most of it and move forward.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (1badf350, 22250rem, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1234, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,230 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,368
Posts18,506,502
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.