Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
GWP's for about thirty years. Too many back and neck surgery so we wanted something smaller. Decided on a standard Schnauzer. Got him from Hamilton Montana almost eight months ago. Smart, stubborn but does want to please more and more. Thirty seven pounds now, wish he'd stay this size. Showed interest in chukars and Huns. He's going to have to learn about both kinds of bears, lions, wolves and coyotes. Damn snakes too unless we move to the flathead valley. Pretty cool dog, loves to ride in the pickup on the console it the gas tank on the four wheeler.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Our current bird dog, a Field bred English Springer Spaniel. Miss Maggie Mae here is the most intense hunting machine I have been owned by.

[Linked Image]

The big guy - 120 pounds - takes care of keeping riff-raff out of the yard. Zeus is 3/4 Rottweiler and 1/4 German Shepard.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cariboo; 12/28/17.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Chesapeake’s, labs, Tollers. All hunting breeds. Hell I like most dogs just prefer the hunters.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The couch hounds.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
dogs rock, pick your poison. A man without a dog is not complete

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by SBTCO
I've always wanted a heeler though, so maybe some day.

My dad and his little red devil.
(he is a terrorist)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Oh no, not a terrorist, just being creative., it shows intelligence. grin

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston

She really is. She's my bud.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

[Linked Image]

Not sure how smart they are......They don't even see that cat takin' a nap on your tailgate.......

A good hound or bird dog rely's on it's nose for finding game.

Unfortunately they both had bad colds at the time.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

[Linked Image]

Not sure how smart they are......They don't even see that cat takin' a nap on your tailgate.......

or like mine once the kill was made lost interest and looking

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Tarkio
A fan of dogs in general but have an affinity to to eastern Nordic breeds. Living in the NW part of Montana( Flathead Valley) a little ways in the sticks puts us in close proximity to the five main predators( grizzly, black bear, wolves, mountain lions...and meth heads) so we have been running Karelian Bear dogs and a West Siberian Laika off and on for 27 years. Wonderful dogs for forest living, but have their quirks. I've always wanted a heeler though, so maybe some day.

Do you raise/breed Karelians? Friends/clients of mine have had Karelians for years. Live right on the front range and thick with bears and wolves. I believe they are looking for someone who breeds Karelians now.

No I don't, and unfortunately they are hard to come by not to mention the prices have gone stupid in many cases. There are a couple breeders in N.E. Washington (our latest KBD is a wayward rescue from one of those breeders) and there is Wind River Bear Dogs down in Missoula http://www.beardogs.org/ . The West Siberian Laika is a close cousin if the KBD and there are several breeders in the southeastern US as they have become popular with the squirrel hunters there. WSL's are every bit as gamey as KBD's (Russians/Europeans use them to hunt the same game, bear included) and could be a good stand in if they can't find a bear dog. The other option would be going directly to the source in Scandinavia and have a pup imported. Probably get a better quality line too.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I’ve always had Labs, Love labs with all my heart, but damn they shed. After our last Lab, Amos passed away the wife wanted a Goldendoodle. This dog has been awesome! One of the smartest dogs I’ve ever had, smells good, and does not shed....no BS, no shedding. Downside is that the dog really can’t swim, I’ve worked with him multiple times and he still can’t swim....I think he’ll get it, but he’s so bottom heavy it’s funny. Trying to make him a Duck dog, the swimming thing is holding him back bad. Lol

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm a sucker for dogs. And most dogs really like me. As the saying goes, "dogs and kids are good judges of character" and I reference that regularly.

Just recently we had 6 dogs. Have lost 2 to old age late this fall. Both of those were Boston terriers. Now we have a boston, a boxer, a mini Aussie and a Doberman.

Absolutely love my Doberman. Amazing family dog and extremely protective. Can't believe 2 different people abandoned him in the past. Quite possibly the best dog I've ever owned. Our boxer is also a great family dog. She is a lover of everyone. Bostons are great little dogs with huge personalities.

If I had the choice, my next dog will be a Doberman. My son is politicking to get a dobie pup sometime soon to get ready for the inevitable as my Doberman is approaching 10.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like all dogs. Had mutts and they have been awesome dogs. Have a black lab now and at five he is still a haywire sob. All my pups whether pure bread or mutts have been excellent companions.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Tarkio
A fan of dogs in general but have an affinity to to eastern Nordic breeds. Living in the NW part of Montana( Flathead Valley) a little ways in the sticks puts us in close proximity to the five main predators( grizzly, black bear, wolves, mountain lions...and meth heads) so we have been running Karelian Bear dogs and a West Siberian Laika off and on for 27 years. Wonderful dogs for forest living, but have their quirks. I've always wanted a heeler though, so maybe some day.

Do you raise/breed Karelians? Friends/clients of mine have had Karelians for years. Live right on the front range and thick with bears and wolves. I believe they are looking for someone who breeds Karelians now.

No I don't, and unfortunately they are hard to come by not to mention the prices have gone stupid in many cases. There are a couple breeders in N.E. Washington (our latest KBD is a wayward rescue from one of those breeders) and there is Wind River Bear Dogs down in Missoula http://www.beardogs.org/ . The West Siberian Laika is a close cousin if the KBD and there are several breeders in the southeastern US as they have become popular with the squirrel hunters there. WSL's are every bit as gamey as KBD's (Russians/Europeans use them to hunt the same game, bear included) and could be a good stand in if they can't find a bear dog. The other option would be going directly to the source in Scandinavia and have a pup imported. Probably get a better quality line too.

These folks have had a couple kb dogs over the last 10-12 years. They love them and really rely on them on the ranch. I will suggest the my look into the Laikas.

Montana MOFO
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The lab we have is awesome. The dog puts up with a lot from my young daughters. That dog really toughened the girls up when he was a puppy.

OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by blanket
dogs rock, pick your poison. A man without a dog is not complete

Agreed

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blanket

[Linked Image]

or like mine once the kill was made lost interest and looking

Exactly.....every good hunting dog I've owned has lost interest in the prey once it's in the truck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
What a great thread! Thanks Wabi for startin' it up!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bernese Mountain Dogs, 'cause they reflect my personality in that they tend to be good-natured, polite, non-aggressive, and perhaps a bit lazy and laid back.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

287 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 16gage, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 38 invisible), 1,963 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,167
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.