Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I cut the phone line and my unlimited internet last March. Have been operating on cellular data and using my phone as a hotspot ever since. Microsoft wants to force updates that are larger than my monthly data plan. It aint' gonna happen. Still, I gotta shut the hotspot connection off if I go to the kitchen for a cup of coffee.

Forgot that earlier today and MS gulped 20% of my monthly data in about 4 minutes. Left me running at dial-up speed. Fortunately my plan renews at midnight tonight.

I see small laptop style units that use android op systems. Most of them are smaller than what I really want, and I'm sure they are short on features as well. Haven't seen one with a disk drive. Can they be used with a mouse? Can you connect a stand alone disk drive? Could I connect a larger monitor?

Last edited by johnw; 12/28/17.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For just surfing the net? Email?

Maybe an iPad would work for you.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of our guys is fighting with his computer because Windows 10 is such a piece of schitt.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I also tired of and got rid of anything run by Apple.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I gotta shut the hotspot connection off if I go to the kitchen for a cup of coffee

This baffles me.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
When I don't like a movie I get up and leave.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I gotta shut the hotspot connection off if I go to the kitchen for a cup of coffee

This baffles me.

MS auto starts their huge update and gobbles data in the time it takes to fetch a cup of coffee. Shut my data source off and it is prevented.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK got it!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
When I don't like a movie I get up and leave.

And I'm gonna leave. Looking for my best options in doing so. Apple is not gonna be an option. I can actually do most of what I do on my phone anymore, but i do like a bigger screen and some of the features of a full size laptop. Thus the questions in the op

"Chances Will Be Taken"

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You can disable windows 10 automatic updates;
Simultaneously press the Windows key, the + key, and the R key. This will bring up a search box, Type in

services.msc

This will bring up a menu of Win10 services. Scroll down to "Update Orchestrator Service, right click, go to Properties, left click and go to "start up type" select " disabled" click "apply". then "okay",

Scroll down to "Windows Update" in the services list and repeat procedure,

ego operor non tutela
IC B3

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OK, I followed the disable instructions. Thanks for that, and I hope it works.

Still thinking that I want away from MS.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Get a Mac! smile

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston
Get a Mac! smile

My understanding is that they are just as pushy and needy as MS with their op system. Got a buddy that threw his out the truck window at highway speed.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Yes, you do have alternatives.

You can go to Kubuntu, which is free. The easy path is to buy an install/boot CD for about $7. There is a version of Chrome and of Firefox for web browsing, and there are free programs that work like Word, Excel, etc., and can read those files. You can even get WINE, which is a Windows emulator. Be warned that living in Kubuntu land you won't have a lot of the convenience features that you might like. Depending on what you do with your computer, it might be a good solution. Kubuntu is a very good operating system.

You can also spend about $300 and get a zippy tablet that runs Android. Once again, you can have Chrome, Firefox, and programs that mimic Word, Excel, etc. For a bit more, you can get a BlueTooth keyboard/touchpad, and effectively have a workable sorta laptop. Androids tend to not require a lot of technical expertise to keep running.

Apple stuff does work well, but it also keeps itself pure by keeping you on the reservation. You simply do not have the breadth of choices that you have with Windows or Android. If you like Windows pushiness, you'll just love Apple.

One way or another, you will have to update those devices. You will either need a bigger wireless plan (and you'll need to choose a tablet with LTE wireless), or you'll need internet service and probably a wifi router. I don't think there is a way around that in the long term. Locally, it's possible to get decent internet for $35 per month, and that will give you access to stuff like Netflix.

So, if in the end you have to get internet anyway, then your objection to Windows goes away.

Last edited by denton; 12/28/17.

Be not weary in well doing.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You still have to check up on it. They can still manage to turn it back on somehow. I'm on slowed usage now because the bastards backdoored an update through Microsoft Edge (do not use the Edge Browser!!!). You can go to "Settings" and then "Update & Security". If the Update Orchestrator is still disabled, it won't show an update status and the page will close in a few seconds.

ego operor non tutela
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
do not use the Edge Browser!!

True dat.

Be not weary in well doing.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Gadfly
Simultaneously press the Windows key, the + key, and the R key. This will bring up a search box, Type in

services.msc

This will bring up a menu of Win10 services. Scroll down to "Update Orchestrator Service, right click, go to Properties, left click and go to "start up type" select " disabled" click "apply". then "okay",

Wouldn't that also disable any new Windows security updates which if not downloaded manually soon could leave your computer at risk?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by kingston
Get a Mac! smile

My understanding is that they are just as pushy and needy as MS with their op system. Got a buddy that threw his out the truck window at highway speed.

Well it sounds like you missed your chance to get one for free.

My advice stands, get a Mac...

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by joken2

Originally Posted by Gadfly

services.msc

Wouldn't that also disable any new Windows security updates which if not downloaded manually soon could leave your computer at risk?

Yes, but the alternative, if you are on satellite or cellular is to have your data allowance consumed by Win10's continuous updates. Get a good non-MS antivirus and firewall and keep it updated manually. Has worked for me so far.

ego operor non tutela
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Set your connection to a "metered connection" in your setup & it will prevent Win 10 for doing auto updates.

How to set a metered connection

MM

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 64 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,197
Posts18,524,088
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.