-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
LGS has a Western Field 550cd pump action 20-GA for chump-change/pennies. It's missing a few non-critical parts, but functions fine. I understand that Mossberg made these for Montgomery Ward long ago...). LGS-dude (very knowledgeable) says it is a re-badged Mossberg 500. Anybody have any experience with these? Do Mossberg 500 replacement barrels work if I wanted to add a slug barrel? Other parts interchange?

Thanks for any assistance.

Ret USN
NRA Life, NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ..... lasts forever.
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It's a Mossberg 500 so parts should interchange. The only caveat is if there was a change someplace in their history like Remington did with their 20 ga 870s. I haven't seen nor heard of any changes by Mossberg but I am not a Mossberg fan.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Barrels will interchange. Some differences with todays 500 depending on when it was made. It may have a single action bar vs todays double bars and if so not all parts will be compatible. Good guns either way so long as you can get the parts you need. Try Havlin sales and Numrich for parts for older guns.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Barrels will interchange. Some differences with todays 500 depending on when it was made. It may have a single action bar vs todays double bars and if so not all parts will be compatible. Good guns either way so long as you can get the parts you need. Try Havlin sales and Numrich for parts for older guns.

That...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks! Information on the web about Western Field is sparse, at best. I may have to try Cornell Publications. I have a slug barrel enroute and pick up the shotgun tonight.

Ret USN
NRA Life, NAHC Life
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Any thoughts on dating this shotgun? Would it use the Mossberg serial numbering system, H245xxx? The shotgun has a barrel-mounted adjustable choke, Full, Modified and Improved adjusted by screwing the outter portion in or out. I remove3d the barrel and the receiver-end looks just like a Mossberg swappable barrel. This one only has one operating rod on the pump action.

ETA: According to http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/mossberg-serial-number-data-base.13187/, the serial number date falls into sequence of early 1979.

Last edited by Scorpion8; 12/29/17.

Ret USN
NRA Life, NAHC Life
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I had one just like it many years ago. Bought it new in 1977 or 78 maybe. Gave it away to one of my cousin's sons 10 or 12 yrs ago. Perfectly functional gun except the plastic safety button cracked and broke, but easy to replace with Mossberg part. Never tried swapping barrels.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MikeL2
.... except the plastic safety button cracked and broke, but easy to replace with Mossberg part. Never tried swapping barrels.

Mine was broken too, but there are many sources of replacement safety buttons, (seems like a class problem with all of these) and I replaced mine already. Got the Mossberg 20-GA Slugster barrel in today and it fits like a charm. It appears to be in all parts and pieces to be a Mossberg 500 just a lil' cheaper. For example, it has a single operating rod. I'm wondering if that can be changed to the new style dual operating rods, or if the bolt and bolt slide would have to be replaced also.

Ret USN
NRA Life, NAHC Life
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There's no raceway in the right side of the receiver for a second op rod. Older Mossbergs {and Western Field's} had steel safety buttons. Brownell's still sells a steel replacement button and I recommend getting one so you'll have no more problems with broken plastic buttons.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
There's no raceway in the right side of the receiver for a second op rod.

Thanks for the info! Good to know.

Older Mossbergs {and Western Field's} had steel safety buttons. Brownell's still sells a steel replacement button and I recommend getting one so you'll have no more problems with broken plastic buttons.

Great minds think alike. I already have the steel one on order at MidwayUSA. I replaced mine first off with the plastic one just to get it running, but incremental improvements are always right.

Ret USN
NRA Life, NAHC Life
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (21, 10Glocks, 1minute, 260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 56 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,428
Posts18,489,229
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.