Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
".... Some say we need to aim at limbs...."

Bad idea, IMO. Many LE folks are not gun people, far from marksmen, and a lot could not hit a man-size silhouette at 15 ft when under physical/mental stress.

If departments ever sanctioned this "aim at limbs" policy, shootings might skyrocket. On the stand "So officer, you intended to shoot him in the arm?" ""Yes"" 'and you hit him 5 times in the torso?' ""Yes, he kept moving and would not stand still as ordered.""

Not a cop hater here by any means, just been around some.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I agree with op, experience is a good thing. But let's not forget, where is the inmate gunna go. He is already on the inside.

I learned to sugar coat my words too, my backup was usually 10-15 minutes away. We didn't have pepper spray, tasers, batons or much else. All I had was a Maglite.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Actually prosecute cops for their misdeeds.

This. It should be handled in the law as it would if a non-cop did the very same thing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JWD8310
I have this discussion with other officers all of the time. People say we need better training in mental health. Some say we need to aim at limbs. Some say we are too militarized. I have my own theory on how to prevent more shootings and prepare officers to deal with threats that don't have guns. There is a group of people who deal with that stuff daily with no guns and vastly inferior numbers. They know how to deal with the worst and get compliance without immediately resorting to violence. They deal well with mental health professionals and the mentally ill alike.

Correctional Officers.

Make people who want to be cops, start inside a major jail or prison. You don't bring guns inside. You learn team takedowns on people with sharp objects. You learn to be polite when bad guys outnumber you 100 to 1. You learn that people have problems but aren't all dirtbags and still have to be deserve to be treated like human beings. You learn to coat your words with honey instead of vinegar, just in case you have to eat them.

Many of us former and some current C/Os used to get looked down on by guys on the road. Now that Im on the road and am involved with hiring at times, I look down on those who don't have that experience. I always treat booking C/Os with respect.

I'd be interested to know how you serve, and who you serve with.

First off, when you are justified in using deadly force, you shoot to kill. You don't "wing" anyone on purpose. That is a very basic rule of deadly force, and in any basic police training. If someone that is LEO is suggesting that method, they need fired. Now.

Comparing correctional officers to patrol officers is worse than apples to oranges for comparison.

A team of correction officers may indeed rush an armed prisoner and take him down in the right circumstances, if need be, but it would have to be an emergency situation with no other means.

To even suggest that guards do this is insane, and has regard for officer safety. If a prisoner place themselves in a situation like that, WGAF if they live or die? That's the wages of committing that crime.

Patrol officers don't have the luxury of locking a suspect in a cell and calling in the cavalry to handle the situation. It's real world, and you don't know who is going to pull what weapon and do with it as they please.

Thinking either you never had time on the street, or maybe didn't last long there.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by JWD8310
I look down on those who don't have that experience.

So a cop who chose a different path than yours is looked down upon?

Dang.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Why is this a problem?

Last year cops shot 38 unarmed black men, some of whom, like the Ferguson perp, were violently attacking the cops.

About 8,000 blacks were murdered by other blacks.

Two different topics, not at all related.

Crimes by cops in general are a very small part of crime stats. But a huge problem.

When you can't trust the system and it's enforcers, you have a very broken society.
Think Mexican Federales, or the other third world shakedown scammers.

Evil left on its own will always multiply and dominate. As former poster alluded to the Ruby Ridge shooting, a cop got away with murder, and seem to have started a trend.

Obammy hasn't been mentioned yet, but needs to be. His support for the New England Professor that led to the "Beer Summit" and endorsement of Travon Martin, led to the BLM movement and restarted the race thing.

IMHO, BLM and the attention on police shootings has had two very positive effects.

#1 Of all the shootings nationwide, there has been almost no racial component found. Despite a desperate search for it. This is great to find, but of course, has not been publicized.

#2 It has she'd light on some questionable shootings. Most, under close examination appear justified.
Some not so much. A few, became more questionable. Almost all ended up exonerated the cop, even a couple very questionable shootings. These are very disturbing.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't see this as a LEO issue even though there are unjustified shootings every year.

More than half the country are liberal idiots with zero respect for anyone and a blind alliance to their own, they interact with others with disrespect, hate, yelling, screaming, throwing rocks, protest looting, destruction of public property and often on drugs and alcohol.

I see this as a change in the enemy requiring a different approach.

The tazer is awesome in my opinion, but all those that fit in the list above feel differently, I wonder why?

In my life, I have never been abused my a LEO, I may have been pulled over by a grumpy LEO, but never grabbed, pulled out of a vehicle, thrown on the ground, pepper sprayed or tazed.

It's simple really, I fall in with the other half of the country, just normal everyday people with common sense and respect for others.

Edit: How to end many police shootings

Deport the liberals......

Last edited by RDW; 12/30/17.

Dave

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You could end all police shootings by taking guns away from them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Why stop there?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I think this will eventually happen. Side arms will end up in lock boxes in the cruiser for most traffic cops, or some such scenario. Some place like Berkeley will do it first.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Why stop there?

It's the same argument used by antis wanting to take guns away from you and me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Why stop there?

Yeah.

That was my point.

If government won't trust cops with guns, then they damn sure ain't gonna trust an armed public.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of employers don’t allow you to show up to work armed.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Lots of employers don’t allow you to show up to work armed.

What they don't know won't hurt them. In fact it just might save them.

Workplace where woman was beheaded and the criminal shot by the owner: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaughan_Foods_beheading_incident

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Why stop there?

Yeah.

That was my point.

If government won't trust cops with guns, then they damn sure ain't gonna trust an armed public.

Would it not stop police shootings if police didn't have guns?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Or alternatively by getting rid of all police. Neither scenario makes much sense to me.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

Or alternatively by getting rid of all police. Neither scenario makes much sense to me.

Either would be an effective way of ending police shootings. I didn't say it was a good idea, I said it would produce the desired outcome stated in the OP.

The logic I've demonstrated here is how politicians make laws.

Last edited by gregintenn; 12/30/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
still would be police shootings (shooting of police, by bad guys)

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
JWD8310.

I agree that requiring a new recruit to work inside a jail before hitting the streets is a very good thing. I also advocate at least six months in Dispatch, answering calls and dispatching.

Both of those jobs have skill sets which allow the recruit to learn how to talk with people, not just to them. You certainly learn how to talk instead of always fighting, but, in the jail, you also learn about your local criminal subculture as pointed out by stevelyn above.

The Dispatch side teaches two critical things, first, is geography of your area, second (and most importantly), it requires the recruit to draw information out of a highly stressed individual who may or may not hate LEO's without the advantages of badge/defensive weapons, or a multitude of other Officers whose mere presence can be coercive into compliance.

Working solo in remote areas as I did early in my career taught me how to do three things really well; talk with people, fight, and, most important of the three, learn to size up a situation and a person so I could do more talking and less fighting. I hate making a trip to the hospital before I can go home.

How to reduce the number of LE shootings? Simple, actually, community (including media) condemnation of non-compliance and/or resisting arrest.

One of the three points in any sentencing is community condemnation. That seems to have been lost in this country due to apathy and political correctness.

Where are the marches and protests against thug life? Where are the protests and demands on the prosecutors and judiciary to place community safety before all other factors?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I agree.

Lots of shootings go on because they think they are entitled to do whatever they want without recourse.

That was one tool implemented by Obama that will take more than a couple of years to dissipate.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,447
Posts18,489,641
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.