Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
My experience with our local deputies has been in line with most Sheriff's department people I've met across the county. They have all been pretty laid back, country boys.

Police and State Troopers have been entirely different.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"

J
JWD8310 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
My experience with our local deputies has been in line with most Sheriff's department people I've met across the county. They have all been pretty laid back, country boys.

Police and State Troopers have been entirely different.

State Troopers in my state an be pretty stiff. When one tells a joke, I almost don't know what to do with myself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JWD8310
We have a new officer who is 24. She graduated from college, worked as a secretary until she could get hired. Pretty sheltered life. We go out to a house where we were meeting with a homeowner to get permission to place a camera to watch other folks. He comes out with a holstered Glock. She whispers to me, "he's got a gun". I whispered back, "and the right to bear it too". I understand it was probably her first encounter with someone with a gun while working and it was a learning experience, but I found it funny.

He first encounters of anyone with a gun while working would have been fellow cops, but it was only the first
ordinary peaceful citizen with a legal gun that got her worrying...."us" and "them" attitude it seems,...I wonder
where such a greenhorn cop got that from?.......safe to say it wasn't from her time at college or secretarial position.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
J
JWD8310 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Starman
We have a new officer who is 24. She graduated from college, worked as a secretary until she could get hired. Pretty sheltered life. We go out to a house where we were meeting with a homeowner to get permission to place a camera to watch other folks. He comes out with a holstered Glock. She whispers to me, "he's got a gun". I whispered back, "and the right to bear it too". I understand it was probably her first encounter with someone with a gun while working and it was a learning experience, but I found it funny.

He first encounters of anyone with a gun while working would have been fellow cops, but it was only the first
ordinary peaceful citizen with a legal gun that got her worrying...."us" and "them" attitude it seems,...I wonder
where such a greenhorn cop got that from?.......safe to say it wasn't from her time at college or secretarial position.

I think you would be surprised how many young people, especially in middle class suburbia, grow up without guns or knowing that people around them have guns. To them, the only people who have them are cops and bad guys. Nothing in our training teaches us that citizens shouldn't have guns. But, bigger agencies in liberal areas often have questions on pre-employment written exams regarding the applicants history of gun ownership. No one will admit it, but I'm sure it doesn't help your score to admit you collect guns. Liberal politicians appoint liberal leadership that impose their views via policy.

I disagree that she developed the "us vs them" attitude after becoming an LEO. Our culture develops that from our childhoods and throughout life. Cliques, sports rivalries, jobs. If you want to get angry, listen to insurance claims adjusters talk to each other at a party and laugh about how they did this or that to some schmuck.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

I think you would be surprised how many young people, especially in middle class suburbia, grow up without guns or knowing that people around them have guns. To them, the only people who have them are cops and bad guys. Nothing in our training teaches us that citizens shouldn't have guns. But, bigger agencies in liberal areas often have questions on pre-employment written exams regarding the applicants history of gun ownership. No one will admit it, but I'm sure it doesn't help your score to admit you collect guns. Liberal politicians appoint liberal leadership that impose their views via policy.

I disagree that she developed the "us vs them" attitude after becoming an LEO. Our culture develops that from our childhoods and throughout life. Cliques, sports rivalries, jobs. If you want to get angry, listen to insurance claims adjusters talk to each other at a party and laugh about how they did this or that to some schmuck.

And there it is, they are hiring 'justice warriors', not policemen.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I was almost fired from my first training phase.
My Field Training Officer (FTO), a good but young man, was ordered to bring me to the FTO office, where I promptly met the (connected) Lieutenant. Said Lieutenant began to chew me out, stating things like, "No one walks through my training program!"
I was completely startled as I did not know where this was coming from or why. Luckily for me, the bourbon on his breath brought me back to reality quickly (Mom was a drunk) and I realized it was because I was training in some of the roughest government projects the City had to offer. Now I wasn't the 24 year old college student that the majority of my Academy class was. I turned 41 during the eight month program.I had been in the US Army where I had served in the Ranger Regiment, the 7th IN (Light), and the 82 ABN.
I mustered up some tact and replied,

"With all due respect Sir, I am not one of your little college kids who's never seen a black man. I left tougher men dead on the side of the road in Panama." (Not quite true but I was pissed)

He gaped there like a goldfish and waved me out of his office.

18 years later I am working with bums under a freeway and he has retired with an outrageous salary and I hope never to meet him again.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I was the only person in my 50 member Academy class that had to provide a list of all firearms in my possession by action type and serial number in order to get hired.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
J
JWD8310 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green

I was the only person in my 50 member Academy class that had to provide a list of all firearms in my possession by action type and serial number in order to get hired.

That is ridiculous. Completely uncalled for. It's none of their business. 20% of gun owners probably own 80% of the guns in thijs country and prison population demographics suggests those 20% are NOT the problem. Watching gun ignorant officers try to clear weapons on scene is horrifying.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
My son in law had to work 3 years in the county jail...he just went to the academy this month so maybe some county's have that figured out...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green

I love you, but I can't imagine wanting a job and living in California that bad.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There would be a lot fewer police shootings if there weren't so many felons who need to be shot.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lightman
One way to end police shootings is for the bad guy to do what the officer tells him to do. This is usually to quit doing what he was doing that got the officers attention! Seems simple enough!

Out of everything on here this one has nailed it. Follow orders, do what your told. Not real hard. Police shootings would damn near drop to zero!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wrongful death shootings by cops are seldom prosecuted and in the few instances where they are, the conviction rate is 11%, which explains why they are seldom prosecuted.

OTOH, Plaintiff Attorneys routinely get huge out of court settlements from Municipalities for the same incident that wasn’t criminally prosecuted.

I don’t see anything that will change that situation.

Giving people military gear who don’t have a military mindset certainly increases the likelihood of bad shootings. Employing military tactics against fellow citizens should cause concern for all of us, but cops increasingly don’t see fellow citizens........ they see enemies.

Teach your kids the truth....... The Police are not your friend. They don’t trust you and you should not trust them.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunchamp
One way to end police shootings is for the bad guy to do what the officer tells him to do. This is usually to quit doing what he was doing that got the officers attention! Seems simple enough!

Out of everything on here this one has nailed it. Follow orders, do what your told. Not real hard. Police shootings would damn near drop to zero!

Yeah...... that’s real good advice EXCEPT that often there are multiple cops... some of them scared schitless... shouting conflicting commands. It may get to the point that a man’s best chance at surviving is to kill the cop before he kills you.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I've found that smiling at them causes them to relax. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500
I've found that smiling at them causes them to relax. smile

That works for traffic stops..... most times. Not a good plan for swat teams busting your door down because they got the address wrong.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Wrongful death shootings by cops are seldom prosecuted and in the few instances where they are, the conviction rate is 11%, which explains why they are seldom prosecuted.

OTOH, Plaintiff Attorneys routinely get huge out of court settlements from Municipalities for the same incident that wasn’t criminally prosecuted.

I don’t see anything that will change that situation.

Giving people military gear who don’t have a military mindset certainly increases the likelihood of bad shootings. Employing military tactics against fellow citizens should cause concern for all of us, but cops increasingly don’t see fellow citizens........ they see enemies.

Teach your kids the truth....... The Police are not your friend. They don’t trust you and you should not trust them.

That is the thing wrong with the idea of getting people with a military background; they come in with a perception that the general population is the enemy and needs eliminated. Unhappily we have a lots of non native english speakers now, and a lot of us are hard of hearing, not counting the deaf. Long ago I heard a cop threaten that he would put anyone "on the ground" if he saw them with a gun; I carry guns out to the car all the time, and back, not always in a case. The days of walking over to the neighbors and showing him a new something and sighting it (unloaded) down the street are gone. I am even careful boresighting across the back field from the deck now, looks right at a highway.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunchamp

Yeah...... that’s real good advice EXCEPT that often there are multiple cops... some of them scared schitless... shouting conflicting commands. It may get to the point that a man’s best chance at surviving is to kill the cop before he kills you.

Open your door and get whacked by cop, having not done one damn thing wrong. We're pretty much already there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A cop who wrongfully kills someone is guilty of a crime.

That seems lost on a lot of folks.

One way of lowering the crime rate is prosecuting criminals, but oftentimes the witnesses to the crime are other cops and we have ample evidence from lots of cops who are forum members that unbiased testimony is impossible to come by.

So...... the bad cops lose their job and get hired by another agency.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So...... the bad cops lose their job and get hired by another agency.

Can you give us an example of this?

If a cop kills someone outside the sanctity of justifiable homicide, they ARE usually prosecuted. Beyond that, the state law enforcement licensing agency will pull their license.

My experience has been that nobody hates a bad cop worse than other cops.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

381 members (12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,497
Posts18,490,459
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.