Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This probably sums up my preferences:

I told my wife once when we first got together that at some point I would like to have 27 dogs. You should have seen the look on her face. I had to explain:
At least a coupla 3 mutts, just because one hasta have a mutt around.
2-3 lab/retriever types, one older, one for hard hunting, and the other learning.
??? number of hounds. Although I'd never owned any, and where we lived there wasn't much to hunt with them at the time, I could see the utility in the future for running game. Beagle types or larger for coons etc would suit me. I kinda like Black and Tans too.
Lap dogs, Pomeranians or such, 3 each as the military packaging says.
Watch dogs, pick a nice size breed, GSD, Rotties, Pyrenees, some such to keep the "critters" out of the yard. 2-3 of them.
Sight hounds, for chasing schiedt down, quicklike. Greyhound, Saluki, Azawak, whatever. Couple of them at least, they work better that way.
And at least one BIG dog, Newfy, Mastiff type, maybe a Dane

Where am I at? Gotta be close to 27 by now, right. cool

Oops, I forgot the terriers? Yikes. Had a friend who showed Westies, but I like most breeds of them critter gitters. Better add 3 more to the count.

Right now we're down to two whippets. I've grown quite attached to the breed since the wife bought the first one while I was out turkey hunting. I came home to a dog that jumped up on the couch and barked at me when I first came in. Eventually she'd curl up with me, but she was always mamas girl. That bitch went on to titles and titles in her career. Agility, obedience, rally, lure coursing and even one or two in the show ring which she and my wife absolutely hated. And a squirrel killer she was too!

The two we have now are rescues, one from a breeder basically taken by the rescue group and the other from a private party that couldn't keep him in the little yard they had. They don't have as many ribbons, but we're working on it! The boy is good at getting the ground squirrels in the yard too.

Now, I'm retired and ready for a bird hunter. Looking into some "versatile" breeds, Airedale, Dratthaar, Griffon, maybe even a basic Lab.

Too many breeds, what a conundrum!!!

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 257Deland
I’m a huge Airedale fan!! The three that I’ve had were great dogs, and not afraid of much. My first, a female, was smarter than a few folks that I know....LOL

257Deland,

do you hunt your Airedales? I'm thinking of getting one for my retirement dog.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have a 1 1/2 old German Jagd Terrier. Her grandfather is from Germany and mother from Serbia.

They are fearless, super prey driven and have a good nose. This Terrier lives to hunt.
They will hunt lion, bear, go to ground on badger and fox.

Mine will retrieve in water and have friends who use them to retrieve upland birds.

After WW1 the Germans developed this bred solely for hunting and didn't want a show dog.
They got it right.

https://airedalesareafailure.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/real-hunting-terriers-german-jadg-terriers/

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Northerner
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Not sure what breed Gabby Sue is, but she's a great drinking partner, though slow to give up her seat at the bar.

[Linked Image]

Still one of my favorite pictures ever posted to the fire...makes me smile every time.

Thanks. We were in there just before Christmas at about 1pm. When we walked in, there she was in that same exact seat. Bartender fed her a little turkey in the back room while we were there. Not 10 minutes later, the dog was stretched out ON the bar.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Yellow Labs.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would sure love to have another dog but for the next ten years I have to travel, that just ain't fair to a dog...

Dave

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
We share our homes with Beaucerons, an old French herding breed . The Beauceron is a versatile breed that can be used for herding sheep, home protection, obedience, jogging buddy and family pet. Our females weigh approximately 90 pounds and our males are 110 to 120 pounds standing close to 27 inches to the withers.

Attached Images
Last edited by grumpy7904; 12/29/17.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by grumpy7904
We share our homes with Beaucerons, an old French herding breed . The Beauceron is a versstile breed that can be used for herding sheep, home protection, obedience, jogging buddy and family pet. Our females weigh approximately 90 pounds and our males are 110 to 120 pounds standing close to 27 inches to the withers.

Never heard of them but that's a great looking dog.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I was always a pointer guy, but the birds are gone. I'm down to a 25# JRT that sleeps under the covers and a 140# Catahoula that's dumber than a rock.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
Originally Posted by grumpy7904
We share our homes with Beaucerons, an old French herding breed . The Beauceron is a versstile breed that can be used for herding sheep, home protection, obedience, jogging buddy and family pet. Our females weigh approximately 90 pounds and our males are 110 to 120 pounds standing close to 27 inches to the withers.

Never heard of them but that's a great looking dog.

Got a Beauceron in my class at school...nice dog!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JohnP
[Linked Image]

Enough said.

I am admittedly biased...

Theres German Shepherds...then theres everything else...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have always been a Lab guy. A good buddy bread his female Akita and talked me into a pup.

Glad he did! I picked the only female in the litter and I have to say this has been the easiest to train dog I have owned in a lifetime of dog ownership.

Housebreaking, no problem. Have left her for short periods alone in the house since she was 7wks old and she hasn't chewed a single thing.

When I brought her home at 7wks age I was expecting a few sleepless night's due to missing mom & siblings, she never whined or cried once!

Discipline consist of telling her NO, that is all it takes. She just seems to have a knack for knowing how to behave and not be a pest.

Must admit I am impressed with Akita's.

Although according to another dog thread they are vicious and kill people. Mine has only killed rabbits and mice so far. wink

The third pic down was taken this morning and she is atop a rabbit she killed and consumed. smile

She has turned out to be the perfect dog for me and where I live, she is impervious to the cold and is big and tough enough to defend herself against predators.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Deflave's dog smile

[Linked Image]

OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by irfubar
I have always been a Lab guy. A good buddy bread his female Akita and talked me into a pup.

Glad he did! I picked the only female in the litter and I have to say this has been the easiest to train dog I have owned in a lifetime of dog ownership.

Housebreaking, no problem. Have left her for short periods alone in the house since she was 7wks old and she hasn't chewed a single thing.

When I brought her home at 7wks age I was expecting a few sleepless night's due to missing mom & siblings, she never whined or cried once!

Discipline consist of telling her NO, that is all it takes. She just seems to have a knack for knowing how to behave and not be a pest.

Must admit I am impressed with Akita's.

Although according to another dog thread they are vicious and kill people. Mine has only killed rabbits and mice so far. wink

The third pic down was taken this morning and she is atop a rabbit she killed and consumed. smile

She has turned out to be the perfect dog for me and where I live, she is impervious to the cold and is big and tough enough to defend herself against predators.

That’s almost identical to the experience we had with our Akitas. Very gentle with the house, and very well behaved. Vocal discipline only.

However, ours (2 different dogs, about 2 years apart) both became very aggressive towards other animals at about age two. I don’t know why, but it was a very unfortunate liability that I couldn’t risk. We were forced to give both up for adoption. I’ve heard it’s not all that common for it to happen, but we were unlucky. Still miss both of them.

Great pics!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OdT My son had a pair of Akita's and found much the same especially the female any thing that got in the back yard was terminated and buried.
She was fine with people, but did not like other animals sneaking in the back yard. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by northcountry
OdT My son had a pair of Akita's and found much the same especially the female any thing that got in the back yard was terminated and buried.
She was fine with people, but did not like other animals sneaking in the back yard. Cheers NC

Right on. In the case of our female, we happened to be managing a large rural mobile home park at the time, and the tenants pets stood no chance. After strike 3, we had to give her up

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My buddy is having problems with my Akita's mother, she is escaping the yard and attacking any dog she comes across.

So far mine loves people and kids especially.

I am a little concerned with her and other dogs though... Just recently she has decided she is dominate over any other dog, if the dog submits she is fine and wants to play, if the dog growls it's game on! Her hair stands on end and she gets a grizzly hump and I know to get her out of there.

I suspect it takes a strong owner (as in Alpha) to control these dogs?

OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by irfubar
My buddy is having problems with my Akita's mother, she is escaping the yard and attacking any dog she comes across.

So far mine loves people and kids especially.

I am a little concerned with her and other dogs though... Just recently she has decided she is dominate over any other dog, if the dog submits she is fine and wants to play, if the dog growls it's game on! Her hair stands on end and she gets a grizzly hump and I know to get her out of there.

I suspect it takes a strong owner (as in Alpha) to control these dogs?

I’ve often figured that part of the blame was directly related to how little I was home during those days. I worked, hunted, and partied a lot during that time.

Ours were fantastic with all children too. But I agree, I think they needed more leadership than I had to give at the time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OdT,
I hope you are right. I spend all day with my dog and have made sure she is socialized with other dogs. She just turned two. I live remote so even if she becomes a problem I should be able to control her.

I worry if she gets a hold of a little dog she will shake it like a rabbit and kill it?

Hard to believe such a sweet dog can be so vicious?

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
We're a German Shorthair Pointer family but I could see owning another Golden Retriever or possibly a Golden Doodle one of these days too. When we get up there a ways more in years, it might be time for a Rat Terrier or Schnauzer because they seem to be such great little companions too.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (16penny, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,876
Posts18,497,684
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.