-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 41 1 2 3 4 5 6 40 41
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So what does it mean to cake? In PA, we feed Simmental (bred for beef) haylage out of wrapped round bales, hay (Timothy and Red Clover) and grain.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SamOlson
500 acres is a bunch of corn!

Those farms back in the midwest are something else. Sounds like a diversified outfit.

Sam,

That is nothin! Around here, there is sections upon sections of corn. Some fields meet other farmers fields that are all corn and they all stretch as far as the eye can see.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
500 acres is a bunch of corn!

Those farms back in the midwest are something else. Sounds like a diversified outfit.

This morning near the pheasant and deer magnet....aka the silage and hay piles and the pellet bin.

[Linked Image]

SWEET Ice fishing rig!!

You can drill holes and not even even be soaked up to your knees!! Spoiled bastid's!

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sam,
We’ve got that same Danuser post hole digger. I spent a lot of time standing on top of it as the auger bounced through football sized stones in gravelly ground.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by kingston
Sam,
We’ve got that same Danuser post hole digger. I spent a lot of time standing on top of it as the auger bounced through football sized stones in gravelly ground.

Shhhhhh...

That is an ice auger... whistle

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rooster, well, if you have been around cows and still want to do that kind of work(full-time) you are sick in the head......grin

Sam's right! I don't miss running cows one bit! Especially this time of the year. I do, however miss the horses. grin

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Kings, cake is just a 3/4" pellet for the cows.

2-4" long, they love it.

Can be expensive to feed but a high energy source.

You can cake cows solo if the pickup idles through the snow on flat ground.

I hang a short piece of 5/16's chain on the bottom of the steering wheel to keep the pickup going straight.

Roll the windows down in case the dog locks me out, pull it in gear(auto) jump on back when the cows get close(they come running) and start shoveling. Trick is getting them spread out evenly so they all get a fair share.

I cracked out on vids today.....

Rooster, I was just thinking how much work it would be to irrigate that many acres!

No doubt some of those farms are HUGE.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
99% don't irrigate. We get enough and often times too much rain.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
-17°F! Our cows have it made, they get locked in the barn when it gets anywhere near 0°F. We only keep a small fraction of what you have. Thanks for the videos! I always enjoy them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The cake we always fed was cotton seed based. Cows love it. Back when we fed it, our cows would flat run over your ass if you shook it out of the sack while on the ground. Was fun to turn a city boy loose with a sack full in the middle of our herd of black angus. wink
Of course, we fed it from a feeder mounted on the back of one of our old Dually one ton pickups.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kingston
Sam,

After buying a Danuser bucket mounted auger, I won't go back to a 3pt. You can add all the downforce you can wish for and when you hit a big rock, just lift up on the bucket, reverse the direction, and back right out. You can also drill hole at a 45 degree angle for setting heavy brace posts.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ed, that would be the cat’s ass. I’ve considered converting it to hydraulic drive and fabricating a mount. At this point I haven’t been sufficiently motivated to get beyond the daydreaming phase.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Rooster, we don't have that problem out here in the desert!

Kings, the old angus cows are born and bred to handle this. Keep em' fed up and out of the wind!

C, oh yeah, once cows are cake broke them come running. We have a cake feeder but I don't like it. Works fine but it lays the cake out the side(in the snow), I try to throw it in the rut....

And it takes up too much room on the bed to I can only haul one bale. Pain using two pickups to feed.

AP, I'd love an auger on a skid steer for corral work. Looking at buying a loader mounted pounder.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Winter is killer here Sam.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Would you sell that cake feeder?

I am MAGA.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sam, we feed cake to our cows too. Dad would usually buy 3 or 4 tons of it. Before we fed it, we would empty a sack into a sifter box, and sift any powder out of it and sack it up in flour sacks. He used this to feed sick cows and calves. Dad didn't like the truck mounted feeders either, so we would load sacks in the truck the walk with the sack, spreading the cake.

Feeding cake is also what ended my father's cattle ranching. His cows were like pets and like being hand fed. While hand feeding some cake, a young heifer cut the line to get a hand out, and one of the matron cows objected pushing the heifer right over the top of Dad, breaking his hip. He was 76 yrs old, and decided it was time to retire. I sure don't miss shifting the cake though.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sam’s 5/16 chain auto pilot setup trailed by a herd of 1800lb. cake junkies immediately had me daydreaming up a better way.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We had a old neighbor Rancher that made the mistake of feeding two of his two Bulls in the lot one day with a sack of cow cake. He was nearly 80 and one of the Bulls knocked him down and trampled him. He damn near died. Spent the next 5 years in a wheel chair before he passed away.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 12/30/17.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I have a bunch of safflower that the elevator wont take. Like 9000 bushels of it.

We had a feed analysis done and it would make great feed. Good protein and energy.

Just have not figured out how to feed it on a big scale.

I was worried too about dropping it into the deep snow, but cant afford enough bunks.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
A fellow we rented grass to has a bunch of cake broke cows. Pets really. Like 250 pets.

One winter we were visiting out with the cows and one old rip came over and stuck her nose in my coat pocket.

All she found was a couple blue rags, some twine and some NAPA receipts.

She was not happy about that.

I am MAGA.
Page 4 of 41 1 2 3 4 5 6 40 41

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1moredeer, 204guy, 257man, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 16penny, 57 invisible), 1,942 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,889
Posts18,497,940
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.