Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Anyone ha bring any luck? I've been successfully avoiding frostbite and hypothermia, and the couple big bucks im after have been successfully az avoiding me! Been seeing plenty of deer, just not the right one yet.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
GB1

A
ATC Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I'll be in southern Potter Co. around Cross Fork the 3rd-6th. Hoping for snow. Forecast shows possible snow next Thursday, should be good hunting weather.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my plans changed so maybe next weekend. might try behind the house but frankly it ain't the same.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm hoping to. So far it's been too cold. Since my heart attack I can't take the cold. Maybe it's the blood thinners. I'm seriously thinking about moving back south.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by borden811
Anyone ha bring any luck? I've been successfully avoiding frostbite and hypothermia, and the couple big bucks im after have been successfully az avoiding me! Been seeing plenty of deer, just not the right one yet.

This sounds like my flintlock hunts, can't wait for next week!

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Poked around some on Friday afternoon and got out until about noon on Saturday. Didn't see any deer but did see some squirrels and heard some turkeys. I'm not sure if I'll get out any more or not, work is getting in the way. And the trip home sucked, the roads were kind of dicey between DuBois and Somerset, especially around Carroltown.

Dale

This space for rent

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Sunset rd. I take it?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
From Westover/St. Boniface all the way to Johnstown was bad. And also most of the side roads around Somerset. But yeah, Sunset was the worst. Not from drifting but it was just slick as goose crap and there's so many hills and curves, I just dropped the truck into 4WD for that stretch.

Dale

This space for rent

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Got back from Pa last night, was an interesting week. We drove up christmas day, so ended up sleeping in on the 26th after the long drive. I was feeling a little under the weather so we hit the local gamelands to try for some rabbits after sleeping late. No rabbits found but did have 5 grouse flushes, so good sign for next year. Wednesday me and 3 buddies headed out for deer, mostly doing small pushes. Cold 5 deg and windy. First push I was a driver but due to the layout, I end up stopping near the standers while the other driver finishes. I got in place and didnt take long to see deer moving and rock the flint back. First one was a sub legal buck, he walked out through a field 20 yards away. Few minutes later a large, very wide 10pt comes out and stops in front of me. I start laughing out loud... as I have no buck tag left after rifle season. Doe only for me. So he turns his head and I stomp some nearby brush to try and turn him to the other standers. It works but I hear no shot ??? Well he ran about 30 in front of my buddy but all he got was a flash in the pan. He took it better than I would have.

We kept it up for the rest of the day, all together we had 5 failure to fires. Buddy whose gun didnt go off on the big buck later got one while driving. I kicked up a doe 20 yds in front of a stander, I swung on her and she stopped in between two trees about 60 yards away. I pulled the triggerand only got a flash. She stood there as I tried to refill my pan. Just as I closed my frizzen, she was gone. Was a crazy day, never had so much trouble getting our rifles to fire. We had a good time though.

Thur I felt sicker than hell, so stayed home. Wife was yelling at me for being out all day wed in the cold when I was already little sick on tues. Fri we visited family in town.

Sat we were back at it, though it snowed all morning. Given the misfortunes we had wed getting our guns to fire on a clear cold wed, we had our doubts about a wet snowy sat. We saw some deer, one bud missed one, I didnt get any shots I was willing to take. No failure to fires among our group though.

All in all it was a good trip, saw lots of deer. The wide buck on the first drive made the whole week, doubt we will forget that for years to come. I passed on some running shots, etc. With a freezer full of meat from rifle season I didnt feel the need to take any hope shots. I'll be back next year for sure. Very unique season that I really enjoy. Barring any rain, rifle will go bang next year!

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Sounds like a great time!

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well, I stretched it out right to the end. Fired my first shot of the flintlock season at 340 and filled my 2E tag with a big doe. At 520, I ended my season and filled my buck tag with an even bigger doe. Nothing like waiting til the last minute!

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Still have 2 more weeks at my house

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"I pulled the trigger and only got a flash. She stood there as I tried to refill my pan. Just as I closed my frizzen, she was gone."

Many years ago at our club, guy was recovering from a triple bypass and decided to go out after Christmas with his flintlock, as he'd missed rifle deer season due to the surgery.

Plenty of deer around, so he walked about 30 yards from the truck, climbed into one of the stands at the trap range and spent the morning sitting there and waiting for deer to come across the trap range field. About the time he was ready to give up, some doe came out maybe 70 yards away and grazed a bit. Pulled back the hammer and let it drop, had a good rest sitting on the stand. Whoof! Deer never took any notice.

Reprimed, tried it again. Whoof! I think he did that three or four times. Finally picked the flash hole, reprimed again and as he pulled the hammer back, they all trotted back into the woods where they'd come from. Rifle went off that time, when he took a whack at one as it got to the woods, no luck..

After he told me about that episode, I said he should've still been at home in bed recuperating, because he was in no condition to be dragging a deer. Said he'd planned on calling me to come drag it, had he been lucky. Told him he was lucky the rifle didn't go off for the cake shot, because I wasn't available to help that day. ;o)

I didn't get out this year. No doe tag for the home area and too damn cold up at camp.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a heart failure survivor, and so far haven't had to do a bad drag. I hunt on a snowmobile trail, and can get my deer cart back in there. 'Shot a nice buck two years ago. Took my time so as to not get winded. It's about a 20 minute walk into where I hunt. I spent two hours wheeling that buck out of there. I'd go four or five steps and rest, and repeat. This year, I shot a nice doe and it obliged me by dying where I could drive the truck right up to it. Sooner or later, my time's gonna come. I hope I'm in the woods with a deer down when it does.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to charge up through the steep woods behind camp on opening morning, to get up on top and on stand by day break. I'd usually be a tad winded by the time I got up there and often over heated, if I was dressed to sit most of the morning.

Gave that up years ago. Now I take my time, avoid the steep parts, stop now and then to let my heart settle down and get my wind back.

This year I dragged my buck about 50 yards back to where I'd shot it from, walked back down to camp. Figured to head up later in the camp jalopy to fetch the buck back in. Some of the local relatives had stopped over about the time I was going after it, so I recruited one to help me load the buck into the clunker 4x4 and haul it back..Sure beat a 400 yard drag on bare ground?

He'd offered to go get the deer and drag it in for me. Coming down through the woods in the jalopy, I said ain't this better? He said yep.

Planning (and luck) beats rashness every time. Older ya get, more ya plan ahead. ;O)

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 51 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,548
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.