Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by irfubar

On another thread Randy Newburg took the CEO of Leupold on an elk hunt, I wonder if they had a discussion?

Also would not be surprised if they visit the campfire?

I'm sure there are folks at Leupold that it's part of their job description to kind've keep track and monitor what is being discussed on social media and such. At some point they gotta take heed.

Of course, SOMEBODY put what appears a fairly light Howa 338 WM in the hands of Tracey Pettet in that New Mexico video..........sure looked like it was the idea of CEO Bruce Pettet's idea.

Let's hope he has more sense then than that when it comes to scopes..............

Last edited by alpinecrick; 12/31/17.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For decades Leupold's were my go to scopes about 15 years ago I took to big bores thats when my Leupold's started making regular trips to be repaired....I would keep 5-8 on the shelf for replacements....sending 6 at a time to be repaired was cheaper on my end for shipping....

I've busted one with 2 shots with a Remington 11-87 12ga slug gun... a couple scopes on a 338 WM that weighed 6.5 lbs....a whole bunch on 458 Lott's, 9.3 B&M, 458 B&M, 50 B&M SS ....had a brand new 6-18 in 12 shots lock up the power ring with 12 shots in a Ruger 10-22 22 WMR....

For years I've brought on a hunts 2 extra pre-sighted in scopes with Leupold QRW rings....there's been several times one extra scope has come in handy....

I've completely phased out Leupolds for the heavy hitters....

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kingston
Than that.

dang.....

I'll fix it.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ringworm
Compared to older models?
All things being equal would you prefer a NIB VXIII to a VX3i?
VX3 to VARIX III?

Just purchased another last evening. Only had a single failure in all the years of shooting them. The one failure I had was a used VXII I purchased. Found the problem at the range (not holding zero) Sent it back to Leupold who promptly repaired and returned it free of charge. I took a tumble on the rocks crossing a creek last Fall and bent the objective to a VX3. Sent a letter with the scope explaining what happened. Leupold fixed it and returned it once again free of charge. My 'luck' with Leupold has been pretty good.

I will keep buying and using them until my 'luck' runs out. If it that is as many years as I've shot their products, I will use them until my hunting career is done.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
IMO the distrust of Leupolds saved me some money. I got a couple of great buys off the classifieds. Both work fine.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I have 4 Leupolds. 2 30 years old one of them kicked loose I sent it back and it was returned inside a month fixed. The other 2 are newer and they are good. The adjustments on all 4 of them are not accurate. they don't adjust as stated. But they stay there once set. I like the eye relief and glass. I can see to shoot when it is legal shooting time. I like them as well as anything else I've looked through on a hunting rifle. When I quit trusting them I'll probably try something different because of what I have read here. That day may not come if they don't shoot loose. If I buy another rifle that kicks a little I'll probably try something different on it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have two .375 Ultramags that weigh eight pounds or less, a .375 AI, and two .338 WMs. all have Leupolds and all have digested hundreds of hot loads without problems.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Everyone wants to play "Chris Kyle".

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by bowmanh
Originally Posted by irfubar
It would be wise for Leupold to read these threads.

I occasionally shoot USPSA matches with engineers from Leupold. I've told them about these threads and suggested to one that he should check them out. I'm not sure if he did as I haven't seen him for a few months. But you're right, they should know what their potential customers are thinking.

I make sure to forward links to all of these threads, both complimentary as well as problematic to the manufacturers as I feel, as a supporting vendor here, it is my obligation to the members to make sure their voices are heard and as a retailer that the manufacturers see what's going on an address these issues

Has Leupold ever even pretended to give a phuuk?

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 12/31/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have zero issues with Leupold.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B3

OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

I make sure to forward links to all of these threads, both complimentary as well as problematic to the manufacturers as I feel, as a supporting vendor here, it is my obligation to the members to make sure their voices are heard and as a retailer that the manufacturers see what's going on an address these issues

Thank you.

I’ve never had any trouble with (dozens) Leupold rifle scopes personally, but it’s cool to see a retailer follow up for their customers. Your voice is likely a bit more important to them, than an individuals.

Something never mentioned in these threads, likely due to youth or ego, is that it takes a certain level of ability to know whether a scope is adjusting correctly or not. We’ve all seen the guy at the range who can’t hit a pie plate at 100 yards and then insists that his scope must be broken. I’ve seen it dozens of times, and often notice plenty of other indicators that tell me it probably doesn’t have a damn thing to do with the scope.

Not to discount anyone directly, here or elsewhere. It’s just that I’m certain some of these accounts, at least a fraction of them, are mistaken. Not everyone is a high level rifleman, with premium equipment and ammo

Last edited by OdT; 12/31/17.
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
So if you had a variety x -iii and you wanted a different reticle, would you sell it for a VX3 or send the old scope back for a new reticle?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
So if you had a variety x -iii and you wanted a different reticle, would you sell it for a VX3 or send the old scope back for a new reticle?

I've had a half dozen or so changed to the cpc reticle over the years. It was then my favorite reticle. Fast turn around,and not expensive at all. But,with today's canted reticle problem I'm not sure I'd chance it.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've had that done and they did a good job. They will not upgrade your old glass into new glass standards but they will put it back to new factory standard for that product. They have steadily improved their line over the years. Their lower end products are just that. They are made to sell at a price point. The highest end products are great but not as cheap as the Razor. All the high end scopes made for competition are heavy for a reason. The internals are on steroids so they can have a better chance of withstanding hard usage. Hunting scopes are made with weight savings in mind as they are not normally subjected to the brutality that a PRS comp. will see.

Great glass is expensive no matter who makes it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I'd send it in. It seems there is still a better chance the people who repair or upgrade the scopes at Leupold generally do a better job at QC than on the assembly line. Although the price of new Leupolds have come down a bunch in the last 6 months, and used ones are cheaper in some places (except on the 'fire Classifieds generally) having the repair shop look at my scope is preferable for me.

I just bought a nice used VX-3 2.5-8x36 with the B&C reticle for $270.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by passport
I have zero issues with Leupold.

+1

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They're good 'til they're not, and I've yet to have a problem other than the classic evasive adjustments; never lost zero. Now though, I'm looking for the trouble signs, and won't waste time and ammo chasing a problem. Since two of my most-used rifles are short-action Hawkeyes, I have a Super Chicken already sitting in rings ready to go at the first inkling of an issue, as backup, and for comparison. Ought to invest in a collimater too, for quickly diagnosing obvious problems, and testing new scopes. Anybody able to recommend one?

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just wish these rounds of Leupold bashing (which happen about every 2-3 years) would continue for a bit longer. It always brings a bunch of good scopes to the used market and saves me some coin.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bugs4
I just wish these rounds of Leupold bashing (which happen about every 2-3 years) would continue for a bit longer. It always brings a bunch of good scopes to the used market and saves me some coin.

Need a CDS 4x12 that won't track?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ringworm I would call the repair shop at leupold.

Tell the your scope model and serial number, they may be able to tell you what options they offer 4 your situation.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,927
Posts18,498,596
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.