Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T_Inman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Well as 2017 comes to a close, and with 7 big game animals on the ground plus a fair amount of birds and some high mountain fishing trips I figured I'd do a gear review of what worked and what didn't---for me at least. I hunted and fished 7 states and used this gear in temps from ~70 above to zero. Rain, snow, fog and sunshine. I am not a gear junkie, and don't use things like trekking poles, bino harness (may try one this year) or anything sitka/kuiu anymore, but what I do have I like to make sure works.

First: what I tried out this year, and have high hopes for in future years:
Tedthorn's Frankenstud slingamajigthingy-Pretty neat piece of gear, and really useful. While I don't think it was absolutely necessary to my success, it was for sure handy and well worth the money. I fully plan to keep using it. No pictures of mine, but there's plenty floating around the 'fire, and for good reason.

Gränsfors Bruk Outdoor Axe-I see nothing to complain about with this thing. I chopped off antlers, elk backbones (easier for me to get to the Tloins) and most certainly used it to get firewood when I decided a little flame was in order.
[Linked Image]

Kifaru Slick Bag and stuff sack-used on some elk hunts and Alaskan caribou. I really like it so far.

Caribou game bags-absolutely no complaints so far. Used them on everything this year.

What has worked in past years, and unsurprisingly kept working like a champ:
Steiner Peregrin 10x42s. Simply awesome binos that I like better than my Zeiss Dialyt 10x40s and Swaro EL 8.5x42s. I did send them in to have the cheesy twist up eye cups replaced and repair the bino strap anchor pocket, but they apparently couldn't repair the anchor pocket so they sent me a brand new pair of the Peregrine's replacement, the "wildlife" as they call it in 10x42. We'll see if they're as good as the Peregrin was, optically least.

Kahtoola K10's.-I wore a steel set right down to nubs, and have had this second set for one season now. Simply awesome, though the snow skins are useless and a plastic buckle broke. I refuse to hunt anything in snow or mud without these, let alone elk and chuckar, and quite often use them on dry terrain as well. Even late season farmground pheasant hunts benefit big time from these. If I had to chose one piece of gear that is absolutely the most useful, this would be it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sleeping Indian wool gaitors-I have had these since high school and they're still going strong except for one button snap and one zipper that broke. I had a pair of kenetreks, but they were destroyed after 2 seasons of half use...that is to say I wore them half the time, and the Sleeping Indian set the other half.
[Linked Image]

Havalon Piranta-nothing more needs said. I SUCK at sharpening. I gutless quartered 5 of my 7 big game animals, and used nothing but my Piranta to do it with two exceptions. I used the Gränsfors Bruk Outdoor Axe once to get to the tenderloins of an elk and a gerber fixed blade to remove some half frozen backstraps and tloins, but other than that I used nothing but the piranta.

SWFA 6x42 mil quad and Leupold FXIII 6X42. No surprises here. 5 of the 7 critters plus some random coyotes and badgers were taken with these, from less than one hundred to 528 yards.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Eberlestock X2-these don't have the best rep, but I don't have an issue with mine. I should take advantage of Mystery Ranch's closeout sale going on right now, but would rather that money go towards plane tickets or a tag somewhere next year. I packed out 2 elk, a mule deer, a caribou and an axis deer this year with my X2 plus went on a few Golden Trout adventures. No issues.

Anything Filson-no need to explain.

What didn't work and I have no plans to ever try again:
Boots: Danner Vicious and AKU Jager Evo High GTX-They didn't last one season. I am going back to either Meindl or Lowa.

Berger bullets-this would take a while to explain, but I am not real impressed...again. A mule deer and two elk died from them, but all three took a second shot and there was nothing wrong with the first shot. Maybe I got into a bad lot of them or something......I dunno.

The verdict on the Sig Kilo 2000 is still out there-despite this being my second season with it.

I used more gear such as cheaper synthetic pants, swaro spotting scope, SPOT, jetboil, etc. but this is the stuff that either seems to be unimportant to folks on these boards or I don't feel real positive or negative about so far. Hope everyone had a great 2017 and an even better 2018.

Last edited by T_Inman; 12/31/17. Reason: typo fix'n

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the review. I ordered a pair of the Kahtoola K10's. For several years I’ve been telling myself to get caulked boots. I’ll try these instead.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Great report there looks like you had an excellent season congratulations and happy new year!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm glad the Frankenstud Sling Keeper didn't disapoint you.

I'd love to see some pictures of it in use

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston
Thanks for the review. I ordered a pair of the Kahtoola K10's. For several years I’ve been telling myself to get caulked boots. I’ll try these instead.

I highly doubt you'll have anything negative to say about them; at least the spikes themselves. Adjust them properly, or the toe will slip off and you'll step on the crampon as the toe swings down and towards the rear, causing the main flat spring length adjuster to get pinched tightly, and significantly loose the metal adjuster piece's integrity. Be careful not to snag your pant leg or gator too. Ask me how I know these things!

You'll also learn to "grind" your boot heel and the ball of your feet to get rid of the snow and ice that bunches up there when the snow and mud conditions are just right. The snow skins did little to prevent buildup and got tore off on the first hunt I took them on.

Great piece of gear given those shortcomings.

Last edited by T_Inman; 12/31/17.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I guess a guy can get too much traction with them, if that makes sense.

If you step on a rock funny causing your ankle to roll at a weird angle and you lose your balance and fall (think: when carrying a heavy, elk laden backpack), I could see your foot staying where it is instead of moving with the fall. That could be bad.

TDN Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the review T_I.
I’d love to hear a bit about the rifle/stock you used in AK if you have a moment.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great thread! Thanks for your thoughts/ experience

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TDN
Thanks for the review T_I.
I’d love to hear a bit about the rifle/stock you used in AK if you have a moment.

Remington 700 in 300 H&H. Bought it here on the fire.

Action and bolt was trued, firing pin spring replaced.
Douglas SS barrel, #3 contour, air gauged , 10 twist, 25.5" oal.
McMillan Classic ADL stock, Ultralight Edge.
Factory (but tuned) 3lb trigger.
Talley LWs
Leupold FXIII 6x42
Old style 200 grain speer grand slam.

No issues whatsoever with this setup, even in the Alaskan rain for a week. Got a big lead cow elk with the same everything last year.

Last edited by T_Inman; 01/01/18. Reason: added info

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good write up, I used the same stuff I always do, pretty boring I guess!! Grin

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by T_Inman

If you step on a rock funny causing your ankle to roll at a weird angle and you lose your balance and fall (think: when carrying a heavy, elk laden backpack), I could see your foot staying where it is instead of moving with the fall. That could be bad.

Kind of like a ski binding that doesn’t release.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Great review. Thanks for putting in the effort to share with us.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
That was quite a year. Thank you for a relevant review, you just convinced me to finally get a Swfa MQ 6X. I just needed that last nudge.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kingston

Kind of like a ski binding that doesn’t release.

Yes. I use IceTrekkers (which apparently have been bought out by YakTrax--and the original YakTrax were not very good) but have never wore them hunting. Use them a fair amount winter hiking though. Without a doubt a guy has to be mindful of the lack of "slip" in some situations, I quickly realized in some circumstances it could get somebody in trouble. And try not to stab yourself in the calf with the winter traction devices with large spikes like the Kahtoola's.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good shít, Ted.
I learned a thing or two.
Thanks,
Slave

P.S. Here's a tip for you....
Kahtoola's when considering doggy.
Solid.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Good tip.

Doggy has a way of throwing me off balance, especially when your MOM is involved cause the earth shakes with aftershocks behind her path. I can see those Kahtoolas coming in handy. She's my girl...

Folks, please don't mind my rhetoric to Slave's poetry (and SLiM's for that matter). It's our way of showing we care...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good tip.

Doggy has a way of throwing me off balance, especially when your MOM is involved cause the earth shakes with aftershocks behind her path. I can see those Kahtoolas coming in handy. She's my girl...

MOM is an angel and a giver.
She likes to brighten the day of a retard once in a while........

Lucky for you....
you qualify.

Slave

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
In multiples...daily.

She really is a giver...I don't know about an angle, but she is a giver.

Just call me daddy.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good review and thanks for sharing. I trust reviews like this more than any other except first-hand of' course.

I didnt acquire much new gear, actually downsized some. Couple new things that worked for me:

Cabelas microtex pants- used the houndstooth shirts for years went away from them in favor of wool. Pants were on sale, so grabbed a pair. Excellent early season pant. Well articulating/freedom of movement without being baggy. On colder hunts I wore cheap omni-wool baselayer from Sams, or Mil issue poly pro for late season. Did ok in the briars.

Barnes TTSX- 110 gr out of 270 equals very dead deer. I still keep interlocks and partitions around, but am liking the monos and lack of fragments in my meat. Stepping up in weight next year to a 130 just to see.

Puma catamount knife- Wanted a fixed blade of 440 steel for its ease in sharpening. Usually turn to buck, but nothing really fit my hand or preference of blade, so I ordered the puma on a whim. Fits my hand, quality leather sheath, not to big. Did two deer with mine (everything from field dress, skin, deboning, to slicing backstrap), worked about as well as one knife could. Took a new edge without much fuss.

Eddie Bauer Skyliner down jacket- Just like one JOC wore! Its light, warm and didnt tear from briars. Great for around town or to throw in your pack for a hunt/extra layer. Just wish the sleeves were a little longer, though I have long arms.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
T man, nice review.. Nice photos and guns.. Looks like you made some great hunts.. Enjoy..

Molon Labe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,411
Posts18,470,431
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.