Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by irfubar

How does sponsorship factor into this?

Very strongly, in terms of what general competitors in local PRS-affiliated club matches, and in the championship series matches throughout the year use, based on my experience shooting club matches, and RO-ing club matches and championship series matches both. Nevertheless, the actual championship finale is comprised of very good shooters, and it is unlikely you'll see someone in the finale regularly if their equipment is unreliable.

This prompts questions: Sponsored shooter running heavily discounted or freebie merchandise that is replaced frequently, likely on a 24- to 26-caliber rifle: Do they run that individual scope for several seasons? Do they run it even one whole season? Do you think their match gun is also their practice gun? What does a 'statistic' that you know nothing about really tell you in this context?

Last edited by MZ5; 12/23/17.
GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
That's too bad. I haven't bought a Leupold in years and sold all the ones I had and replaced them with better options......not because of any quality issues, just because they really fell behind the curve feature/cost-wise IMO. Their wire reticles didn't work for me in low light like other glass-etched options and their reticle and/or turret designs were outdated compared to similar/lower priced options like Bushnell, Super Sniper, Vortex and even Weaver....

I did recently purchase a Redfield 2-7x Accu-range to use on a Ruger M77/44 as a low-cost option with a nice reticle design for a brush gun but that's probably as close as I'll come to buying another Leupold again unless they start doing a major overhaul.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Originally Posted by copperking81
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by copperking81
Lots of stats tossed out, i.e. 50% failure rate, 90% failure rate, 20x more failures compared to x brand... yet no details offered up concerning sources for data or testing methodology that could be reproduced. Feels like there's a good amount of confirmation bias going on in this thread and forum.

Believe that if you wish
But you are what i like to call "wrong"

Prove it. I'm not brand loyal. I would however, like to see something close to verifiable with respect to the claims put forth. Any thing less is just bro-science.

One place where hard data can be found is the Precision Rifle Blog, which tabulates equipment used by competitors in the Precision Rifle Series matches. These competitors require their equipment to work, the same way, every time, and, thus, are a far more reliable indicator of what scopes work and what scopes fail than are hunters who may fire five shots a year and then boast about "three of them touching" at 100 yards. A quick look at the list of scopes used in the PRS in 2017 reflects that only 2 top shooters used Leupold scopes, a Mk 6 and Mk 8, representing 7% of the total scopes by brand:

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2017/03/03/long-range-scopes-pros-use/

Huh, that shows Vortex as #1 among top competitors yet I've repeatedly seen supposed experts here say Vortex are Junk and won't track/hold zero. Just one more reason why I place precious f*cking little value on what is said here. When one of you high rollin "experts" starts tearing scopes apart and identifying design, construction and materials flaws I might start placing some faith in it. Until then I think I'll stick with my own experience, which is considerable.

The competitors are using Voretx Razor Gen 2 series scopes costing ~$2500 bucks, not $99 Crossfires. Big difference.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks for the clarification but I haven't noticed any Vortex on Formidilosus' list of scopes that can be depended on to work correctly.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks for the clarification but I haven't noticed any Vortex on Formidilosus' list of scopes that can be depended on to work correctly.

They must be out of the loop and didn't see it on the campfire.
Think how good they could be if they only knew.

IC B2

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

He has listed one of the Gen II scopes. Look around.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MZ5

He has listed one of the Gen II scopes. Look around.
I can buy Vortex optics dirt cheap with my industry pricing discount yet I haven't bought any and won't. Don't like the big ugly things and know too many people that have had trouble with them.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Is this a liberal attack on a right leaning company??😀

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Yep! I sure don't trust Leupold for dialing use, whether new or old (except maybe the Mark 4 Fixed Powers) - this 6-18 was on a point and shoot prairie dog rifle.

Your [bleep] stupider than I thought if you trust the Mark 4 for dialing

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 12/25/17.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Why don't you regale us regarding your experience with Mark 4 fixed power failures?

I won't hold me breath.

IC B3

C
cotis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
OP - received scope back from Leupold on Friday. Reticle cant is fixed, scope looks perfect now. I will get it mounted up but it will be a few days until I shoot it as it is way too cold for range work right now!

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Let us know. I’m curious of what you’ll find

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,448
Posts18,470,996
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.