Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
BigFin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yesterday was our last airing on outdoor TV. We've aired on TV for nine seasons, the first four as On Your Own Adventures and the last five seasons as Fresh Tracks. It has been an interesting learning experience and served some utility to accomplish part of the goals in our business plan.

With outdoor TV experiencing the same declines as all other TV platforms, the opportunity on other digital platforms is far more appealing in terms of reach, freedom, and finances. TV was 100% of our views just two years ago, prior to starting a YouTube channel in January 2016. When our Amazon channel launched in late August, it proved even more that traditional TV was a dying horse. In just two years, YouTube and Amazon are now 80% of our views, with TV shrinking to less than 20% of our views.

So, we have decided to leave outdoor TV. This video explains where you can find us.

The short version is this:

Amazon – This is where long-form content will premiere. It will be longer episodes than you saw in the past. It will be commercial-free. Both a big change from the format and style required of outdoor TV. It is free to Amazon Prime members.

YouTube – We will continue to use this for our day-by-day episodes, tips, ideas, advocacy, strategies, etc. And once the longer episodes have been on Amazon for a while, we will eventually post them here. For those without Amazon Prime, YouTube is a free platform where you will also get to watch the full episodes, just a bit later. If you subscribe (free), you will get notified when new episodes show up on YouTube.

By going exclusively to these two options, we accomplish many objectives that are critical to our "Why":

1. Make our content commercial-free.

2. Make our content free to anyone willing to watch it.

3. Get away from the model of outdoor TV where it is hard to tell a story the way you want, where even if your content is different you are required to package it according to the network guidelines, making it all look pretty much the same.

4. Higher engagement with viewers where we can get feedback on what they watch more/less, what length, style, etc that attracts more viewers.

5. Have the distribution platforms pay us, rather than pay the networks to distribute our content. In my nine years of outdoor TV, my annual airtime purchase cost has ranged from $52K to $185K. That’s a crazy amount of money, for the small amount of views TV gets you.

6. Get away from the “King Maker” model that is outdoor TV. The networks make investments in some shows, giving them the best time slots, sending sponsors to those shows, giving them “tune in” advertising, and a host of other efforts to make sure these “investments” are given priority. Many comment how they don’t like what they see on outdoor TV. A big part of that is because the networks, many employees of such being non-hunters, get to pick and choose who they want to see as the “Kings.” That is fine. Their model and they can do what they want. I’m no longer in a position that I have to accept that.

7. Be free of network contracts. Those contracts have serious consequences if you say/do things they find damaging to their business. It is all at their discretion. I’ve never been one to worry about hurt feelings, but hurt the feelings of the wrong person at the network and you will find you no longer have airtimes and you are then in breach of your sponsor contracts. Serious consequences come with breaching a sponsor contact.

I’ve never been so excited to be headed where we are. It has been a ton of work, a lot of risk by me and our LLC members, required huge support from our sponsors who told us to take this risk, and support from all of you. We have a lot of new ideas that these platforms allow. You will see them in the coming year.

Want to thank all of you for the great support you have given us. Not a chance we would have been able to get here without your support.

Here are the links where you can watch us, anytime, commercial free.

>----> Amazon (free to Prime members) – www.amazon.com/v/randy

>----> YouTube (its free to subscribe) - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQOcUD2aFxEjc-_4JJBLYyg

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck with going on Amazon, makes a lot of sense. I subscribed to your channel on YouTube this year and like your content.

Gerry.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thanks for the heads up!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good for you , it sounds like a very good thing for you, and we the viewers. Looking forward to it.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Awesome I’ve binge-watched what you have on amazon a few times now. Just love it; you guys do awesome work!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good work BigFin.

I've never been a fan of all the dumb stuff networks make their contractors do....all to fit their agenda and quite often to be politically correct. I especially don't like folks with sensitive little feelings.

It is 100% their loss, and 100% your gain.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting about TV and the requirements...

Sounds like you made a wise move. The no commercial thing alone outta make it worth it for the Average Joe to tune in.

Good luck!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Congratulations and good luck.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Good work BigFin.

I've never been a fan of all the dumb stuff networks make their contractors do....all to fit their agenda and quite often to be politically correct. I especially don't like folks with sensitive little feelings.

It is 100% their loss, and 100% your gain.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS!

Congrats Randy!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sweet, I cut the cable a few years back... more and better content on amazon, Sling, and other alternatives.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Randy,
Enjoy your show greatly.
I hope the internet providers don’t squeeze you for $$ with the end of net neutrality.
Happy New Year!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best of luck.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Juzt watched that blacktail hunt with the hawken. Sweet. I will be watching more!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Randy, you and a few others have set a new standard for presenting hunting as an activity for people that truly love the outdoors and genuinely respect wildlife.

Genuine people hunting public land is far superior to fat guys being guided around someone's ranch.

Thanks for your efforts in conservation and thanks for not having a crappy soundtrack. Including your crew in the podcasts etc. is very good TV.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Congratulations! Certainly appears to be a better business model for you, and for us. I certainly prefer it to being on channels that were no longer offered by my provider. Keep up the good work, I can only imagine the behind the scenes effort to make it all happen.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good Luck. I hope the transition is a great success.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
THANK YOU Randy. I've enjoyed all of your shows I've been privileged to see and have recommended you/them to friends, & hunters who didn't know about your or your program.

It is refreshing to see true DIY hunts or should I say, True Hunts. I saw so many TV 'hunting shows' that were staged >>aka FAKE, that I quit watching ANY shows except yours when I knew about them.

Best Wishes - Great Success

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you for turning out a quality product. I enjoy your videos and appreciate the way you hunt.

Yup.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I will be tuning in. I enjoy your shows.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really enjoy your show. Thank you for putting it up on YouTube. It is nice to have a show about hunting the west. And without all the rock music, trying to sound like Hemingway, or other nonsense on so many others. Please keep them coming.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

302 members (1Longbow, 160user, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 12344mag, 26 invisible), 10,014 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,340
Posts18,546,401
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.