Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
drover Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I was reading the recent edition of Rifle last night while reading an article by Terry Wieland it occurred to me that prior to seeing his articles in Rifle I had never read anything by him.
I only subscribe to Rifle but I do thumb through some of the other magazines and I cannot recall ever seeing anything by him. He does have an interesting writing style and I am just curious as to his background. I have never seen him referred to on here or any other forum as far as I can recall - anyone have any information.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
He used to write a bunch on fine shotguns & bird hunting. He’s been around a long time but probably just wrote about a different niche than you’re used to reading. I like his writing.

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
He's an excellent writer. Also written in many magazines. You should get his book, it is a first class read. I believe tiled: Dangerous game rifles."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He has a background as a journalist and it shows in his writing style. Usually has nice photos too.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
D
drover Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for the information. You are correct about his writing for a different niche then I generally read about.
I will try to find his book on dangerous game rifles - I suspect it will be interesting.

I thank you all and wish you and yours a Happy and Prosperous New Year.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It’s an excellent book. I believe he has also moved to the States, seemingly Missouri or Arkansas.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Terry has lived in a suburb of St. Louis for many years now; his wife is an American citizen.

He's also the shooting columnist for Gray's Sporting Journal. I first met Terry when I edited Gray's in the late 1990's, a couple years after he started that job.

During his news journalism days, before he starting to write much about hunting and shooting, he spent quite a bit of time covering stories in northern Africa, one of his early connections with that continent.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One thing he wrote that I always remembered was that, because of its versatility, the 30-06 makes the perfect backup rifle. I had never thought of that but so true.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Arns9
One thing he wrote that I always remembered was that, because of its versatility, the 30-06 makes the perfect backup rifle. I had never thought of that but so true.

Wow! He can't be a Fire contributor... shocked

laugh

He's a good writer, wrote a book, Spanish Best, the Fine Shotguns of Spain. He spent time in Spain researching these fine guns and the cottage industry that produces them.

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Always enjoyed his writing. Knowledgeable and experienced. There have been one or two that I've disagreed with, but that doesn't change my appreciation of his work. He's shot a lot more than I have.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've "caught" him in a couple of very minor factual errors (unlike our boy JB), but like his stuff very much. Seems like a very practical and traditionally-minded sort, a commodity in very short supply in these tacticool times. I also like his stuff that prominently features Bob Haley, the Texas wizard of obsolete ammunition. Those stories are always good reads.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Terry wrote a piece on my friend, James Flynn, gunmaker. James restores vintage Purdey, Boss, H&H and other fine shotguns, does metal and wood work. It appears that Terry is more of a shotgun man, and thus hooked up with James.

James did build him a .250-3000 on a Dakota model 10 single shot action that was outstanding. I saw it in his shop as it was progressing. Terry mentions it in this piece. I have pictures of the J. W. Tolley .470 double rifle that he restored.

http://www.terrywieland.com/James-Flynn-bio.htm

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spanish Best, although it may be a bit outdated now, is highly regarded by Spanish shotgun aficionados.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Though I have never read any of his books, I have always enjoyed Wieland's work in Rifle magazine.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have a copy and it is a great book, lots of time and research went into putting it together. And it's very well written. Terry has the reader right there with him at AYA and the others.

Here's more on the Dakota .250-3000 that James built for Terry.

http://www.terrywieland.com/Midas.htm

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Terry's been around for awhile and I've always enjoyed his work. Have seen his name around even before his current gigs and even saw him on TV once. I forgot how many years ago that I was channel surfing on the cable stations and came across an outdoor show that had three guys antelope hunting. One of them was Terry Wieland and I can't even recall who the other two guys were.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like his work in the various magazine articles I have read over the years, as noted he stands out from the crowd and writes about interesting stuff.

Gerry.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by RickBin
Spanish Best, although it may be a bit outdated now, is highly regarded by Spanish shotgun aficionados.

In the late 90's he was kind enough to offer his knowledge and advice (via phone and email) on a Spanish sidelock I was considering buying.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've never met him, but James Flynn thinks highly of him. And, that says a lot.

James don't suffer fools gracefully... blush

And like masters of their craft, they work hard to get where they are and don't tolerate much slack or B.S.

We have some like that here on the Fire... grin

You reckon...? laugh

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I enjoy his work. Chatted with him briefly some years ago, when my wife and I, and he and his lady, were on the same flight to Johannesburg. Seemed like a pretty nice guy.

Jeff

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (257Bob, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 1,767 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,237
Posts18,524,883
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.