Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thinking about a couple day hunt in January. Any bama boys wanna try to plan a trip? I hear the rut peak is about mid January.
I’m unsure of what gun hunt dates are available. I’m on vacation 13th thru the 20th if we can put something together.

Could also do other area if gun dates don’t match up. Wouldn’t mind Bankhead again

Last edited by Outbackman; 01/01/18.

Proud supporter of the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Friday the 19th is a gun day at Lowndes wma. Thinking about going down there Thursday and getting permit and scouting. Do an all day hunt Friday I’ll have to come home but anyone interested could stay and hunt Saturday. 19th 20th both gun days. Rut should be in full blown mode

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That’s perfect timing for the Rut. I won’t be able to make it but maybe next year .

T
T
That sounds like a plan.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Welcome Woodsman to the fire. Been friends for about 10 years now . Usually hunt together at least once a year. Good to have another Bama boy around the fire. War Eagle!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a friend hunting right now at our lease northwest of Greenville. He reports they are not rutting yet on that property. I have found Alabama Rut to be a hard to predict as it varies so much from property to property. They guys on our current lease say generally Jan 15th to the last week of Jan is a good bet while on our old lease just 20 miles south they always rutted the last week of January into Feb.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome woodsman!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
I have a friend hunting right now at our lease northwest of Greenville. He reports they are not rutting yet on that property. I have found Alabama Rut to be a hard to predict as it varies so much from property to property. They guys on our current lease say generally Jan 15th to the last week of Jan is a good bet while on our old lease just 20 miles south they always rutted the last week of January into Feb.

Rut is all over the place on when it happens in AL. I believe that here in north east AL (right on GA border) we have deer originally stocked from different locations. Those that have eased in from GA seem to have a late Nov through mid Dec rut and seem to have a more tan/reddish color to them. Those from west of here (Skyline/etc) have a rut that is going pretty good right now and they seem to have a darker/grayer color. Somewhere I have a pic of two bucks laying side by side I took in NW GA, just 10 or so miles from here, that you can really see the color difference in. Places like choccolocco wma have a much earlier rut.

Took a decent 8 at last light this evening that was chasing HARD all day...the rut is on. Saw him several times but couldn't close the deal until last light. Two firsts today, first one I've taken on my place though I've watched tons over the years and first time I've not had to drag one!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Rut is all over the place on when it happens in AL. I believe that here in north east AL (right on GA border) we have deer originally stocked from different locations. Those that have eased in from GA seem to have a late Nov through mid Dec rut and seem to have a more tan/reddish color to them. Those from west of here (Skyline/etc) have a rut that is going pretty good right now and they seem to have a darker/grayer color. Somewhere I have a pic of two bucks laying side by side I took in NW GA, just 10 or so miles from here, that you can really see the color difference in. Places like choccolocco wma have a much earlier rut.

Took a decent 8 at last light this evening that was chasing HARD all day...the rut is on. Saw him several times but couldn't close the deal until last light. Two firsts today, first one I've taken on my place though I've watched tons over the years and first time I've not had to drag one!

[Linked Image]

I have relatives in NE AL. I am always intrigued by the red deer I see there. In Desoto State Park you see the red ones and the ones that are darker gray. Those down here in the coastal regions are more gray in color, but it's lighter than those from a little further north.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hunted in a club in Fayette county for a few years. The mature bucks taken there were very red. Club guys said it had something to do with the terrain al the roads were red mud And the club was named red bud.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

[Linked Image]

I have relatives in NE AL. I am always intrigued by the red deer I see there. In Desoto State Park you see the red ones and the ones that are darker gray. Those down here in the coastal regions are more gray in color, but it's lighter than those from a little further north.

Yes, Desoto is right next to Little River WMA, fairly close to the GA line and most of the deer I've taken there have been the redder color.

Bears are becoming more common there at Little River. Last time I hunted it there were LOTS of signs on the WMA saying not to shoot the bears!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Outbackman
Hunted in a club in Fayette county for a few years. The mature bucks taken there were very red. Club guys said it had something to do with the terrain al the roads were red mud And the club was named red bud.

Interesting. ...and Happy Birthday Chris!!!

Here's a pic of the color difference. Can't see it all that well, but the one on the right has the greyer color and the left a redder color. Cell phone pic isn't the best but it's obvious in person.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Well done! Nice buck. And that's the best kind of drag!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations on another nice one Jay! Woodsman welcome to the fire! I killed a 6pt last Friday that was musty as all get out and neck was swollen. Our small property normally ruts very end of January but I think it’s on right now. I’m working this weekend but plan to be in the woods Monday.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Congrats on the kills. Y’all could show us some pictures.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Congratulations on another nice one Jay! Woodsman welcome to the fire! I killed a 6pt last Friday that was musty as all get out and neck was swollen. Our small property normally ruts very end of January but I think it’s on right now. I’m working this weekend but plan to be in the woods Monday.

Thanks Matt. Rut is kicking at the club you hunted with me. Really nice 10 and a couple of 8s were taken, bucks chasing hard. I didn't see what I was looking for but got to see a lot.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Camping gear packed. Leaving at 3 am for Lowndes county wma!! Whooo hooo. This is a bucket list hunt, for me for 14 years I’ve heard big deer stories and hunting tales from my FIL. He is coming out of “deer hunting retirement” to go with me. Plan is to get permitted. Bow hunt till the Friday gun date. Taking climbers and ground blinds. Super stoked about getting there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Outbackman
Camping gear packed. Leaving at 3 am for Lowndes county wma!! Whooo hooo. This is a bucket list hunt, for me for 14 years I’ve heard big deer stories and hunting tales from my FIL. He is coming out of “deer hunting retirement” to go with me. Plan is to get permitted. Bow hunt till the Friday gun date. Taking climbers and ground blinds. Super stoked about getting there.

Stay warm bud. You will have had some cold hunts this year huh?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Cold is right. I honestly can’t figure out deer patterns when it’s that cold. Seems they just shut down. But i pretty good at layering and having good boots is they key. Warm feet I can out stay anyone i hunt with. Buddy heater will be blasting away in the tent

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is there snow on the ground.?

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,167
Posts18,484,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.