Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I guess I will quit griping about the price of a can of Folgers.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No you won't. grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I have no use for Starbucks. We have Community Coffee.

IT is more than just coffee. My stepdaughter drinks at least two Red Bulls and smokes a pack of cigarettes a day. Not taking in to account what it does to her health, I cannot make her understand the cost. She spends at least 10 dollars per day on those three items. She has to gross $12.00 to clear $10.00. That calculates to $4380.00 per year, 15% of her total income, and 100% wasted money. Without getting in to the cost of fast food, she can never understand why she is constantly broke and behind on her bills.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I suppose one could make the same points about the more 24hr Campfire-Correct weekly consumption of alcohol and tobacco, or firearms, latest hi-soot ammo, extraneous truck doo-dads, boats, motorcycles, fishing gear or anything in RealTree.

Starbucks is an astonishingly successful endeavor, now up there with McDonalds and Coca-Cola as quintessentially American brands. Perhaps Starbucks has stepped in to replace cigarettes as our daily indulgence. I value them for their free WiFi, especially now that I have none at home. A whole lot more congenial atmosphere than a McDonalds, especially when confronted with some lengthy tedious task like entering grades or transcribing bird count data.

Better yet, if you just sit down and start working without buying anything the young millennial “baristas” behind the counter will not bother you, both because they abhor that sort of personal confrontation and because they do not know how to evaluate bearded old White guys in outdoor-type clothing, especially when they arrive on a bicycle. We could be homeless and/or crazy and therefore members of a politically- correct class deemed worthy of compassion as well as being potentially unpleasant and even dangerous to confront.

Beats the crap out of a McDonalds as a WiFi hangout where around here I am often outnumbered by actual bearded old crazy homeless White guys grin

Cheapest decent thing on the Starbucks menu for me is a toasted bagel and cream cheese, $2.30. Maybe once a week I’ll get a hot venti chai latte for five bucks.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mart
My last experience with Starbucks was in the San Fransisco airport after getting multiple reroutes because of snow storms. We ended up there in the middle of the night, nothing open on our concourse except a Starbucks. I have never liked them but I needed some coffee and they were the only option. I asked the thoroughly gender confused individual for a cup of black coffee. It (I still to this day don't know if it was male or female) snarled in its most condescending manner they don't serve plain coffee. I asked what was close. It rolled its eyes and snarled "Americano". Its contempt for hayseed hick, middle aged, white males such as myself was palpable. I paid, $4 or $5 for the coffee and managed to choke down a couple of sips before I threw the disgusting swill in a trash can. Never again.

pretty much what happened to me. Meeting some highschoold classmates at a starbucks. first time and only time. asked for a cup of black coffee. they acted like i was deranged.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty tough looking up at a menu for "fresh brewed coffee"

Dave

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I am usually accused of drinking basically milk with coffee added for coloring. but the tread was not about starbucks, it was about saving money. I started doing it at about age six when someone would give me a dollar bill, no fun to play with, so i would exchange them for silver dollars.
forgot about them until after college and my mother wanted to know what i was going to do with them.
then there is pocket change, i hate pocket change. So about 40 years ago i started dumping it into big bottles, lots of big bottles, still do it.
I have no idea of whats in there. probably a fair amount of silver.
I have been in the investment world for about 50 years. One of the first rules as always been, it's not what you make, it's what you keep.
and to live below your means. and allow time and compounding to take care of the rest.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by SeanD
Maybe five dollar coffee drink habit is as common today as a pack of cigarettes per day habit was a generation or two ago. Probably not. Both are expensive, but I certainly don’t fault anybody for choosing to spend dollars if they enjoy it. If five bucks a day or whatever is going to wreck your retirement

It’s a drop in the bucket compared to what I spend on boat gas + bait and hunting/shooting is even more expensive.

$5 per day is like $1800 a year. If that is putting your retirement at risk, you aren’t putting enough away.

And here we have the reason why people don't save. Lack of understanding of how little it really takes to have a good retirement.

Let's take that $5 cup of coffee, and let's say that we do that 25 times a year. $125 per month. Then, we are going to invest that in a stock market index fund. The historical rate of return of said stock market is right at 12%.

If you do that, and ONY that, from age 22 to age 67, NOTHING else, your balance in your retirement fund will be a whisker short of $2,300,000. 2.3 MILLION dollars. About $67,000 of that will be contributions, the rest is gain. Do it in a Roth, and it's all tax free.

Howard Schultz is a billionaire because so many people give him their retirement contributions.

12% from an index fund, really? Does YOUR personal rate of return from investing in index funds match 12%? Honestly? Wish mine did.

I invest about 20k a year and about half of that is in index funds in my 401k.

Apparently there is no room in most folks budget for spending money on things they enjoy without tanking their retirement. That would be a difficult position to be in.

This prompted me to go to Starbucks this morning. $2.65 for a large coffee.

Last edited by SeanD; 01/02/18.

Sean
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Scott F
I give up. I may never have another cup of coffee for the rest of my life. I hope every one of those Starbucks veterans and their families are out of a job. As I said above, filthy vets don't deserve a job.

A friend said I should come back to the Campfire. I did and the he'll with you all. This has been as pleasurable as having your appendix removed without anesthetic. Maybe I will drop in some other time when I need someone to tell my how I am living my life all wrong.

Scott, you seem to be taking this thread personally and to have completely missed the jist of it.
It's not about the nail....

FJB & FJT
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by Scott F
I give up. I may never have another cup of coffee for the rest of my life. I hope every one of those Starbucks veterans and their families are out of a job. As I said above, filthy vets don't deserve a job.

A friend said I should come back to the Campfire. I did and the he'll with you all. This has been as pleasurable as having your appendix removed without anesthetic. Maybe I will drop in some other time when I need someone to tell my how I am living my life all wrong.

Scott, you seem to be taking this thread personally and to have completely missed the jist of it.
It's not about the nail....

Its not about the coffee, it is about waste.

From the article:

That idea — saving small sums and investing continually — is central to O'Leary's personal finance advice.

"The truth is, there is a lot of crap you don't need," he explains. "What I've learned to do, and what has really helped me in maintaining growth in my own personal investing is, anytime I pick up something I'm going to buy, I say to myself, 'Do I really need this?'

"Because if I don't buy it, the money is going to be invested and make money every year for me while I'm sleeping."

He suggests you follow suit. No matter how much your income is, "You have to take 10 percent of your paycheck every two weeks and invest it," O'Leary advises. "People say, 'I can't afford that! I can barely afford my rent!' But it's not true, you buy crap you don't need every day."

For O'Leary, that coffee just isn't worth it.

A good example is what we spend on cell phones, internet, tv services, landlines. I looked at all my expenses a couple of months ago and was shocked what I was spending per year on those services. I lowered it from $7620 per year to $4380.00 per year, with cell phone contracts being the biggest cost/problem. That is a savings of over $3240.00. Pre-tax dollars for me would be well over $4000 and for absolutely nothing of value.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SeanD

12% from an index fund, really? Does YOUR personal rate of return from investing in index funds match 12%? Honestly? Wish mine did.

I'm not anal about the returns, so I had to look them up; my average was 13.5% over the last 10 years. The index funds over that period were a little lower, around 9%.

This exercise is not about a 3, 5 or 10 year span. You can pick years, like the "lost decade", and no, you can't ALWAYS do that well, every year, guaranteed. But, over the last 100 years or so, the average return on equities was right at 12%. For someone with a 40, 50, 60 year investment horizon, that's the only number that matters.

But the real issue is not the rate of return, or the mutual fund to pick, or if it is Roth or traditional. The real issue is to invest SOMETHING. Almost ANYTHING saved, over a long, long period of time turns into a LOT of money.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
No. Never.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by muffinman Larry Root
Love going in there wearing my Trump hat and "Smoke a Camel" T shirt. Fun to watch the lesbos and girly men scatter like roaches when you hit the light switch.

Never buy anything ----- just grab a handful of napkins, blow my nose, drop em' on the floor and depart.

Larry Root,

Should you actually do it, post video please! lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back to Starbucks: I can probably count the number of times I have been in one, using both hands, with one or two fingers left over. As Mike said, they have free wi-fi and you can pretty much sit there and use it as long as it takes. I used to attend a lot of meetings on or near college campuses, and there was always a Starbucks just across the street. When you're in a strange town and need an internet connection, they are easy to find. I always buy a cup of plain black coffee and usually drink less than half of it, no matter how long I stay. I am a bit of a loner by nature, so the usual clientele doesn't faze me, and I can't say that the counter help has ever been anything but polite.

Last edited by mudhen; 01/02/18.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Nah. I'm cheap and really only drink coffee for affect (effect?).

E

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I gotta wonder how much we could all have been saving for retirement if we had all been eating beans and rice every day and leaving the AC and heat off all them years. All that wasteful steak and such, money literally crapped out.

So the point is, as long as they ain't costing me anything I could give a rip how others spend their money. I will say that looking around me, carrying serious debt seems to be our modern American way of life crazy

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by mart
My last experience with Starbucks was in the San Fransisco airport after getting multiple reroutes because of snow storms. We ended up there in the middle of the night, nothing open on our concourse except a Starbucks. I have never liked them but I needed some coffee and they were the only option. I asked the thoroughly gender confused individual for a cup of black coffee. It (I still to this day don't know if it was male or female) snarled in its most condescending manner they don't serve plain coffee. I asked what was close. It rolled its eyes and snarled "Americano". Its contempt for hayseed hick, middle aged, white males such as myself was palpable. I paid, $4 or $5 for the coffee and managed to choke down a couple of sips before I threw the disgusting swill in a trash can. Never again.

pretty much what happened to me. Meeting some highschoold classmates at a starbucks. first time and only time. asked for a cup of black coffee. they acted like i was deranged.

LOL, I stop in at Starbucks every now and then. Never had a problem ordering or receiving a plain cup of black coffee. They sell lots of it, it's not an unusual order.

Never had a rude server either, even when my practical joker buddy payed for my coffee and told the server my name was "Dong."

Poor kid had to call out "tall dark roast for Dong," and then listen to my buddy laugh hysterically as he handed it to me.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Originally Posted by muffinman Larry Root
Love going in there wearing my Trump hat and "Smoke a Camel" T shirt. Fun to watch the lesbos and girly men scatter like roaches when you hit the light switch.

Never buy anything ----- just grab a handful of napkins, blow my nose, drop em' on the floor and depart.

Larry Root,

Should you actually do it, post video please! lol

That fuggin chitstick.

Good bust Fost.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The combination of seriousness, humor, wisdom and rancor (and other stuff) in this thread has been inspiring, so I up and drove the 115 miles to the nearest Starbucks this morning early. The coffee was good or better (and HOT), the folks working there were cheerful, left space and made certain that I got my additives, and I could have eaten a muffin or such right tight there. Spent less than $2.00 - not counting fuel, wear/tear and depreciation on the vehicle. Obviously would have been more efficient had I taken my wife and the costs shared between two folks. Not worth all of the fuss - but did scratch my curiosity - that can be important. Came home and checked the index effect. Indeed, it has been a good bit better than 12%. Maybe I'll rethink it all and go get another cup.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just think how much coin the judgmental one's could save by dumping their internet bill, think that will happen?

You'd have to be an idiot to shoot a .45ACP, 9mm is way cheaper.

Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

391 members (204guy, 222Sako, 22250rem, 163bc, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 39 invisible), 1,426 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,852
Posts18,517,597
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.