-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is an app called Truecaller that blocks known spam numbers. Additionally, it will flag as spam any number you designate as spam. I've got it on my Android phone, and it's cut back my spam calls by 90%.

It also blocks messaging in a similar way.

In regards to Microsoft Support calls, I love them. I've been in the biz since punchcards and paper tape, and spent the last 25 years in end user support. I get these calls (less with Truecaller) and I cook up all kinds of scenarios for those little bastids that make their heads explode. It's much more fun than watching Netflix.

My last bout with them ended after I told them I was getting a message "Hard Disk (0) not available. Hit any key to continue." I kept asking them what to do. The guy finally hung up on me.

I know an old widow lady that bought $5000 worth of prepaid cards and turned the numbers over to those hyenas, thinking that was the only way she was going to get her family pictures back.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was walking thru walmart and got a call.
talked to them like I was really interested for 5 minutes.
Then, said I was getting a call from my wife and could they hold.
I put the phone in my pocket and walked around.
5 minutes later, I came back on and asked are you still there?
they were.
talked a couple of minutes and asked them to hold.
Came back 5 minutes later and asked if they were still there? I won't be much longer.
Tied them up for 15 minutes before they hung up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A couple such calls came in to a relative's home while we visited during Christmas week. I had answered the phone the first time and told the caller that we were in the process of burglarizing the home - that he was interrupting our progress - please call back later. He called later - someone handed me the phone and I told the guy that we were just carrying out the TV and the last of the jewelry - what do you want? No effect - he started the same old spiel. "Click"

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by CCCC
A couple such calls came in to a relative's home while we visited during Christmas week. I had answered the phone the first time and told the caller that we were in the process of burglarizing the home - that he was interrupting our progress - please call back later. He called later - someone handed me the phone and I told the guy that we were just carrying out the TV and the last of the jewelry - what do you want? No effect - he started the same old spiel. "Click"

Paul!

Im surprised sherriff hasnt showed here. I hear wifey telling someone trying to sell her "free" Solar panels NOT to send a sales rep out because I wpuld beat her again!!! Then I heard her say, " oh yes everytime someone shows up here he beats me afterward!!!"

She said they sounded like a Paki so they prolly wouldn't call it in!!

Geez! Life on the edge!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to get up to 6 of these calls per day. Now I'm down to an occasional call, usually less than one per day. From what I can tell, most of these calls are coming from related outfits, so when I do get one of the calls I answer as a "gentleman" from da hood. I give them the usual rouse that I need da money to get new wheels, or I need to get some blow so I can get a ho. I would appear that these callers don't really like dealing with da black man. Racists.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
They are ALWAYS foreigners when I get those calls... around here its some bimbo with a voice mail to call Sherry,
about the warranty extension offer they sent you is about to expire....

I can tell you to never take a call from the 876 area code...

That is not the USA, its Jamaica...

if you answer it, they will try to keep you on the line as long as possible...
or if you return their call...

then they send something to your cell phone or land line company to tack on $900.00 a minute
surcharge to your phone bill, to send to them when and if it is paid...

like if you have allowed the phone company to autopay from your bank account..

I caught this and sure enough 5 minutes after the call, my carrier told me that they had an $1800.00
charge from a phone company in Jamaica..... they immediately reversed the charges...

but evidently they legally get away with this in Jamaica...

even when I had pointed out on the phone with these clowns there area code was Jamaica..
they tried to pass it off as Jamaica NY....

sad that naive people fall for this crap.....constantly....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Since my wife has been in hospital, we get calls from nurses etc. using cell phones. So we feel we need to answer anyway. I have won several trips because of being a loyal customer, need to check my credit card, and am in trouble with both the IRS and FBI.

That Lisa or Kelly or whoever she is sounds like a cute blonde; any bets?

The phone company wants another $7 for the "dial 1 of you are a friend" message. I think they should have to offer some way to screen. That figures right in with the other thread on the wonderful service from cable/satellite.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
These predators should be severely beaten about the head and neck until they cease and desist with their evil thieving ways.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
I've given into a few of these calls - 100% for the sport of it.
And each time I get passed the pre-recorded message and inform the live-human that I wish for them to quit calling me, I get a gibberish, foreign-language rant that's actually quite entertaining. smile

If you want to have it become super entertaining, just start talking back to the dude in gibberish. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Last year there was a scam making the rounds where the Asian caller who spoke indistinctly would ask "can you hear me now?", and keep repeating it trying to get you to say "yes" so they could record your voice and use your voice to access something or other to get money. I got one of those calls last year from an 800 number.

A few days ago I got a call from a local area code from a mumbling Asian who said he was with some clinic and asked if I had knee or back problems. How many senior citizens would answer "yes" to that? Sounds like a new twist on the old yes scam with caller ID spoof devices added. If not that then surely some other sort of scam.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My cell provider lists these as "Scam Likely" in the caller ID.

So far they are 100% in identifying these types of calls and not mis-identifying my genuine callers.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Truecaller is an app for cell phones but is there something like that for land lines?

Edit: Yes there is! It is called Nomorobo.

J
JJD Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I tell them I charge for my time talking on the phone and ask them for a credit card number. If they continue I keep asking for a credit card number telling them I will talk to them as soon as I have a billable account. Was riding on a cross-country trip one day and answered a call out of boredom and demanded a credit card number to listen to his spiel my buddy driving was laughing so hard he almost wrecked the Jeep.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by immature
Last year there was a scam making the rounds where the Asian caller who spoke indistinctly would ask "can you hear me now?", and keep repeating it trying to get you to say "yes" so they could record your voice and use your voice to access something or other to get money. I got one of those calls last year from an 800 number.

A few days ago I got a call from a local area code from a mumbling Asian who said he was with some clinic and asked if I had knee or back problems. How many senior citizens would answer "yes" to that? Sounds like a new twist on the old yes scam with caller ID spoof devices added. If not that then surely some other sort of scam.

Think they called me. Something or other about knee or ankle braces, best i could tell in broken English.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1lessdog, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 51 invisible), 2,142 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,237
Posts18,504,505
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.