Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Originally Posted by 338rcm
McMillan in the Sako Classic pattern with edge fill or the MPI in Kimber Montana pattern

That would be a nice stock for a winchester.

The third of my synthetic stocked P-64 Fwt. .270s, this a 1946 action with a Classic sts tube and Talley-Brockman sights-mounts, is in an Edge fill Micky Sako Classic by Mitch. It is the same weight as the two originals I sold this past year and of at least a dozen .270s since 1967, including a genuine Biesen "JOC" style in 1968, far and away my favourite .270.

This is a conversion for someone who KNOWS what they are about, but, it came together very nicely and is now among the few of my remaining 25ish bolt guns I will not sell. I wish I had another 1946-7 action and would do a sts tubed matching .35W. one of the few rounds KI have never owned a rifle chambered in.

So, this is a fine option for one who dislikes the Micky HC.

HR IC

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Redneck
Personally, I like walnut... I wonder what a Super Grade stock would look like on that gem?

It would look fantastic!

Would a fwt stock fit it? Or is the barrel DIA too big?
The SG stock I have is a NIB Winch offering - sporter contour, and for the 1-pc bottom metal.. Beautiful wood, it has...

laugh

Well I'd be interested then. That would be a beautiful combo.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TomM1
Any pics?

x2 on the Fwt pattern with a sporter barrel, doesnt look right IMO

The featherweight will take up to a Bartlein #3 what contour is the EW barrel???

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I would say it’s all of a #3.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mjduct
Any pics?

x2 on the Fwt pattern with a sporter barrel, doesnt look right IMO

The featherweight will take up to a Bartlein #3 what contour is the EW barrel???

Just because it will fit doesn’t mean it will look right. They just look out of sorts with anything other than a fwt contour IMO.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Does anyone know the difference in the weight of a McMillan Winchester Hunters Compact with the Edge fill vs the standard fill?

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Edge vs standard fill is just a few oz's

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If 8 is a few ...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yep, ~ 8 oz, I would go edge on any Fwt or Ext wx 22” barrel. I’d do standard fill on a 24” sporter or any of the >.375 barrel contours. Its more about balance than weight.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go edge on a Sako classic pattern and be done with it

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mc Milan featherweight in a mcswirly pattern smile

Would the featherwight work? It's not a fwt barrel.

FWT McMillan with Edge fill works just fine on my EW .270 Win.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep, ~ 8 oz, I would go edge on any Fwt or Ext wx 22” barrel. I’d do standard fill on a 24” sporter or any of the >.375 barrel contours. Its more about balance than weight.

Have you had an edge fill on a 30-06 EW?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Im in the same boat with an extreme weather 30-06. I like the look of the featherweight, whats the consensus on the edge ultralight stocks?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I personally have not, but a shooting buddy bought an ext wx in 30-06 when they first appeared. It shot lights out for him, but the balance was not what I would call ideal. He put it in a compact (believe these were only avail in edge fill back then) and it gave it a slightly muzzle heavy feel which is preferred IMO.

The fwt barrel profile I have had in edge fill stocks do well balance wise, depending on optics and mounts, but always felt a #2 contour at 22-23” would be better yet. Having shouldered my pards’ EW kinda enforces that logic in my looney mind, but I despise the compacts open grip.

I kinda wish WW would have made the EW with a 24” barrel like the classic stainless were in std calibers. If I were stocking an EW today I would either leave it alone as I don’t think the B&C stock is all that clubby; or put it in an edge fill to improve balance. Patterns would be either Monte Carlo or Classic. Lots of folks don’t like the classic because it has some drop at the comb, I use use low rings where as I normally use Med on a straight stock and everything works well.

I have never handled a Legend or the Sako Classic, but the Sako has really peaked my interest, would be great if someone would post a pic of a 70 in one, or better yet added it to the Win Mickey template thread that was going for a while.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I personally have not, but a shooting buddy bought an ext wx in 30-06 when they first appeared. It shot lights out for him, but the balance was not what I would call ideal. He put it in a compact (believe these were only avail in edge fill back then) and it gave it a slightly muzzle heavy feel which is preferred IMO.

The fwt barrel profile I have had in edge fill stocks do well balance wise, depending on optics and mounts, but always felt a #2 contour at 22-23” would be better yet. Having shouldered my pards’ EW kinda enforces that logic in my looney mind, but I despise the compacts open grip.

I kinda wish WW would have made the EW with a 24” barrel like the classic stainless were in std calibers. If I were stocking an EW today I would either leave it alone as I don’t think the B&C stock is all that clubby; or put it in an edge fill to improve balance. Patterns would be either Monte Carlo or Classic. Lots of folks don’t like the classic because it has some drop at the comb, I use use low rings where as I normally use Med on a straight stock and everything works well.

I have never handled a Legend or the Sako Classic, but the Sako has really peaked my interest, would be great if someone would post a pic of a 70 in one, or better yet added it to the Win Mickey template thread that was going for a while.

I can text pics of a Sako Classic to your phone if you want

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
PM incoming

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If I were stocking an EW today I would either leave it alone as I don’t think the B&C stock is all that clubby;

I haven't handled a new EW lately (mine is SC production) but my stock felt like a club, so much so I almost sold the rifle because I hated the way it felt. I heard the short action stock isn't as thick as the long action. I don't know if B&C has changed the stock since I got mine?

Here is my EW with B&C stock next to my FWT in a Hunters Edge stock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Changing the stock changed the opinion I had of the rifle. It always shot well, but it never handled like I wanted.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PM incoming

Pics sent

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by taylorce1
If I were stocking an EW today I would either leave it alone as I don’t think the B&C stock is all that clubby;

I haven't handled a new EW lately (mine is SC production) but my stock felt like a club, so much so I almost sold the rifle because I hated the way it felt. I heard the short action stock isn't as thick as the long action. I don't know if B&C has changed the stock since I got mine?

Here is my EW with B&C stock next to my FWT in a Hunters Edge stock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Changing the stock changed the opinion I had of the rifle. It always shot well, but it never handled like I wanted.

You had the older version of the EW stock. The new one is much MUCH better but still not as nice as a mcmillan. Im trying to decide if I want to save the weight and get an edge stock or if I want to get a featherweight with a cool camo paint job.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Mc Milan featherweight in a mcswirly pattern smile

Would the featherwight work? It's not a fwt barrel.

FWT McMillan with Edge fill works just fine on my EW .270 Win.

[Linked Image]

I like that a lot.

I just shot it today. Quite a bit. It’s the smoothest feeding rifle I have. Even smoother than my pushfeed xtr.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (3dtestify, AlleghenyMountain, 44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, AussieGunWriter, 13 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 841 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,256
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.