Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1252801 02/15/07
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Does anyone know the purpose of the extra holes in the roll stamped "engraved" EG, AKA "Salesman Sample"? Scope mount holes?

To ride on the coat tails of an earlier post grin ,how many do you guys figure were made?

Mines a 303 and DAMN, what a pain in the A$$ to find ammo (the $$ were a pun laugh laugh :D). Found some at Buffalo Arms co., 150 gr RN SP on Jamison brass, looks nice, we'll see how it shoots smile

And kills come November grin grin grin

DDD

Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they want a war let it begin here.

Captain John Parker, commander of the militiamen at Lexington, Massachusetts, on sighting British Troops (attributed), April 19, 1775
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Another falls to the 303 bug, Congrats. Not sure about the extra holes, i know next to nothing about the salesman samples. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey Les,

Yah, I plan on whakkin' at least one tasty freezer stuffer with her this year grin.

Wish I would have had the foresight to buy a couple of cases of 303 ammo 25 years ago cry.

DDD

Captain John Parker, commander of the militiamen at Lexington, Massachusetts, on sighting British Troops (attributed), April 19, 1775
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Right there with ya buddy. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The holes are thought to be for some sort of scope mount but I don't think anyone here has ever reported actually seeing such a mount. I have one of these "Saleman's Sample's" and another on the way. They seem to be popping up more frequently lately. By the way, it wasn't just the guns with the roll stamping that have these extra holes, you will find some plain EG's with these holes as well.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dave
Congrats on the 303.
If ya need Ammo Let Me Know, Got Norma and Berts Loaded in 180's
And Orginal,
Les, And Rory Tried Some. Pretty good Stuff.
Stever

----------------------------------------------------------------
Savage's there a Rare Breed and So are there Owners.
We Need to Keep Secrets From Lurkers!

So I really think, "We SHOULD USE THIS FORUM AS I THINK IT WAS INTENDED FOR, WHICH I THINK IS SUPPOSE TO BE AS TOOL< TO AID< HELP,SUGGEST, A Person that has a concern about Model,Date,Condition,Problem,needing a Source for a Part,Fix,repair,Part, and Admiration, to what Ever He or She get's and to keep Alive the 1895,1899 and 99 Lever. Action."

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks Steve,

I'll probably take you up on that. I got a couple boxs of 150's loaded on Jamison brass from Buffalo Arms. But 180's are closer to what a 303 was made to shoot. smile

Got to give her some love first. No, I'm not going to bubba anything. Got to un-bubba a few things. wink

Front and rear sights ain't correct. Some bubba mad put a long base front sight on the short base shocked confused and a folding leaf rear sight in the barrel dovetail and managed to have the white diamond facing the muzzle. eek crazy Looks like she also used to have a tang sight which is missing. mad

She also got an worrisome tang crack that I'm debating what to do about. frown

DDD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does anybody have pics of the extra holes? I'd like to see what your talking about!! Thanks, Mike..

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If anybody would like to volunteer, some nice pics of one would look real good over at Les's site.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah please!!

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'll try to get some daylight pics tomorrow.

Flash just don't work with my camera.

DDD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awsome, thank you!! I'll be waiting. Again, thanks, Mike...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Meanwhile, prior posts of Salesman Samples images on this forum:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
7063-SalesmanSampleD&T1.JPG (68.67 KB, 85 downloads)

"...the IInd Amendment is not about duck hunting..." Suzanne Hupp
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting!! These extras are all factory? Mike..

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes, the two holes on the rear tang and the two holes under the rear sight were put there by the factory.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MMMMMMMMMMMMMM...............

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I should clarify - the four holes on the rear tang are factory.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A friend who is a "lurker" here and knows more than I do believes these holes are for the old, long, externally adjustable scope. He mentions that a "salesman's sample" would likely be set up to accomodate whatever scope mounts were available for the M99. The salesman's samples were circa about 1939 which was well before Savage started to drill the bridges for modern mounts. The long scopes which external adjustments were still in use back then and other than a Stith, your available options for a scope were very limited.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I'm looking at a G made around 39.It seems to have the same two holes on barrel as salesmans sample.At the moment it has a stith set-up on it.Has any one heard of a model besides the eg and eg salesmans sample having this feature?Thanks,HD

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Nevermind on date,it's 1927 manu.Still wonder about holes,even more now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,240
Posts18,504,551
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.