Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#12532324 01/08/18
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I wish that I had the opportunity to help. Warms my heart when they were finally successful.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

GB1

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That's great they got it out and I hope it made it, but I wonder if they fully understood the personal risk they were taking though. That was dangerous thing to to do.

One of my college professors was in charge of wildlife at the local metro parks. They had to hire sharp shooters to handle the deer population. People were always furious that they didn't tranquilize and relocate the deer. What people didn't understand that deer are 'wired' differently and would often run themselves to death after being released. The survival rate of a highly stressed deer is very low. Hope elk fare better. Still it's a good look that hunters aren't just out to kill, kill, kill.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I got the impression they quickly learned the risk after getting hit with that antler. It was probably tough to just walk away though.

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by LostArra
I got the impression they quickly learned the risk after getting hit with that antler. It was probably tough to just walk away though.

Yeah, I couldn't just walk away either.

I'm always cautious of walking up on a dead animal, let alone alive. Seen way too many elk/deer/cows do that 'kick out' with their rear legs long after their dead. An elk or cow would snap your femur like a twig.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Some of my neighbors rescued 15 elk that had fallen through the ice on the reservoir.
[Linked Image]
https://buckrail.com/drowning-elk-saved-passersby/

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm glad they persevered and got that bull out.

I don't know how many live deer and elk I've cut out of barb wire fences over the years.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
NOw had they tied that rope around the pole and both pulled on it, I think there would have been a lot less drama. Good on them for saving its life , that was a very weak bull. No way I would have ever passed him up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Appears it left with the line still attached. One needs a system for a disconnect. Those that rope and mug cattle can take care of that. Good for them though, and hope he made it.

A friend was once involved with some elk trap and transplants. Last 5 month old calf to load made a leap and ended up with it's hips stuck between the trailer and loading chute. Rig was not quite square. Five guys figured they could put a line on it, pull the trailer away and mug it through the door. About 20 minutes later the calf left the scene with the lariat in tow. All agreed they'd never make a similar attempt again.

I once mugged about a 4 month old fawn to move it out of a high fenced sweet corn field. Damned thing would not pass through the open gate, as it would make the corner with every lap around the field. Every item of clothing on my body was torn, and I was screaming for help. I'll never do that again either.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/10/18.

1Minute
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
great job, Nice to see people care about these animals, they should die naturally or hunted and no this hurried way it was about to.

A True Leader knows the way, shows the way and goes the way.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by landlord44
great job, Nice to see people care about these animals, they should die naturally or hunted and no this hurried way it was about to.

Well it was about to die naturally, Nature is a cruel beast and this would be a way to weed out the population.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

322 members (10ring1, 160user, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 2,024 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,712
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.