Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Just had mine pumped out the Saturday before Christmas.
I had to work so I could not be at home to watch the guy pump it.
Our pit is about 3 1/2 Ft. inside Diameter and approximately 8 Ft deep.

Saturday (just 2 weeks after it was pumped it over flowed.
The guy said that the system failed.

I made them come out and pump it again today while I watched and inspected the pit.

He told me to my face that the system has failed. And then told me that the company he worked for could come and rebuild it.

I told him I would build it myself.

My question is if the walls have not caved in and after he pumped it we had Cristal clear water seeping back into the pit from the gravel behind the walls in several spots and in 1 spot down about 2 Ft off the bottom running like a hose was running full bore.

Would you guys that know about leach pits consider the system to have failed.

I plan on inspecting it several times tomorrow to see if the water level drops in the bottom before we start turding it up.

If you guys think it has failed then I want to start rebuilding it before we fill it up with crap again.

Any advice.

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Laterals are full/plugged. Call pro. Lots of regulations these days and fo vary area to area .

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
if the drain field runs back in after you pumped it then that means that the drain field is not perking into the ground. they will back drain some but it shouldn't be a lot. do you have a distribution box in the field or anywhere you could pump it out?

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing a quarter-stick won't fix after it fills back up...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Nothing a quarter-stick won't fix after it fills back up...

laugh

Be a lot of schit flying around.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
sounds like you need a new one, but as stated best to check with local sanitarians. most of the time they will steer you right. when in doubt check with the state guys. or just do it yourself and don't get caught.

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by rem141r
if the drain field runs back in after you pumped it then that means that the drain field is not perking into the ground. they will back drain some but it shouldn't be a lot. do you have a distribution box in the field or anywhere you could pump it out?

It is pumped out right now just the back flow in the pit.
I built one about five years ago on the other side of my home after I hired a guy to do it and supplied him with all of the proper stuff
to build it for me and he loaded my supply's up and took them for him self and used french pipe for the main in feed to the pit.
3 years latter I built my own after his caved in completely.

I do not care about Regulations at this point in my life.

I will build it proper and one that will not fail for the rest of my life.

I am a Construction inspector and I have seen a lot of things over my 28+ years of doing my job and have come to the conclusion that any Contractor that I can afford to pay to do the job will not do it proper. I do not have the money to hire a good one. So I do it myself.

I know the places to buy the concrete perforated pit rings and I can transport and place them my self I also have a half of a pallet of septic block left over from my other pit to level the top before I pour a Concrete top so that it will not cave in after years of walking or driving over it.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
a properly designed leach field is important, it isn't hard to do. lots of info on the web for it.

My diploma is a DD214
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Thought this was about n I gg ers living in housing projects at 1st.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
a properly designed leach field is important, it isn't hard to do. lots of info on the web for it.

True enough , how ever the soil type , type at depth , and amount of slope . Can /will change the ,"type" and footage of field. I've installed in the 1000's of home systems . Been a licensed installer for nearly 30 years .

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by okie

Saw that bifore

Anyone got some Dynamite I can use.

Sure make my job easier.

Wouldn't need shoring and would save a whole lot of back breakin shovelin

Thanks for that Haven't seen this fir years.

Great for a good laugh.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your pit is not the problem.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by ldholton

True enough , how ever the soil type , type at depth , and amount of slope . Can /will change the ,"type" and footage of field. I've installed in the 1000's of home systems . Been a licensed installer for nearly 30 years .

I have loose sand over a whole lota boulders. Drains like there is nothing stopping the water when it drys out

I stopped diggin at around 4 1/2 to 5 feet on the one I built 5 years ago cus I could not get the very large boulders out of the bottom of the hole. It made for a good floor for the pit. after 5 years of use the 4' X 4 1/2' oval pit was not even half full according to my girlfriends son who helped me with the dig and the build of it.

I put a 5" thick reinforced concrete lid on it with a good sized pump hole covered with a 16" sq. step stone for the cap and a small metal Bird bath on top as a marker so we know where it is located when we need to pump it out.

The rebuild of this one will be easier because the hole is still intact.

I will just need to shore it up as we dig down to the bottom and pull the shoring as we back fill with gravel.

Thanks guys for the advise. I will look up on some proper designs and engineering.
Just before I built my 1st one I watched the pros. do my neighbors No real engineering just used a backhoe to dig the hole , dropped the rigs in and back filled with 3/4" gravel and there was not much room between the hole and the rings due to the sandy ground conditions.

My home was built in 1942 and I would bet that this pit was the first leach pit this house ever seen so I guess it lived it's life.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
OK I just looked up what I have.

It is a Seepage pit with no Septic tank.

My girlfriend does not want me to dig it up and make a new one.

The pumper said that I could install a leach line but in our ground even backhoes have a hard time digging.

Do you think I should leave the pit intact and just install the leach line.
It would have to go right down the middle of my driveway if I install the line.
The driveway right now is just about shot any ways and I have been thinking about pavers for a new driveway.

Any more advice.
I appreciate what has been given to me already.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by funshooter

The pumper said that I could install a leach line but in our ground even backhoes have a hard time digging.

The driveway right now is just about shot any ways and I have been thinking about pavers for a new driveway.

Any more advice.

I am not at all familiar with the type of system you describe. All septics in this area are tanks or two tanks and some sort of a drain field depending on terrain and soil types. I've never dug up or seen a pit that leeches right out of the pit as you describe so I have no real help to you that's why I encourage you to talk to one of your local professionals in your area , I would not be surprised at the type of system you are talking about is no longer legal even in your area but I do not know that for sure.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by funshooter

Any more advice.

I am not at all familiar with the type of system you describe. All septics in this area are tanks or two tanks and some sort of a drain field depending on terrain and soil types. I've never dug up or seen a pit that leeches right out of the pit as you describe so I have no real help to you that's why I encourage you to talk to one of your local professionals in your area , I would not be surprised at the type of system you are talking about is no longer legal even in your area but I do not know that for sure.

When I watched the Pro's do my neighbors I thought the same thing.
This can not be legal in my opinion.
I talked to the backhoe operator and he was the one who came over and told me that my pit had failed (the first one that I built to replace)
They put it in my neighbors front yard and let a disaster of boulders and rock everywhere for my neighbor to clean up.
the pit was about 20 feet deep with gravel placed around the concrete rings to keep the natural sand from seeping into the pit.

The County has started installing Sewage lines and every time they start they do not even get a full street completed before they give up on the job.
The ground is that bad with boulders. it destroys the best of equipment so I hand dig everything and it takes a lot of time and an A frame with a 2 ton hoist to pull the boulders out as I go. Not Fun work.
I bent the legs on my A Frame the last time I was pulling boulders in my back yard.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Sounds like they need to learn what a ",Hammer" or rock breaker is. , Good luck in getting fixed up .

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
If you have an old-style leach pit (no septic tank, no baffles,no laterals) and clear water is coming in thru the walls after pumping you have significant problems.

Leach pits are ancient - you must have a very old house or whoever put it in originally really took some major shortcuts. I've only seen them in 1930s or older houses. Maybe rural areas into the '40s.

They have to be above the groundwater level to work properly. If water is coming in thru the walls it isn't above groundwater level. If your household waste can't "leach" out, it will never work properly. And it can't leach out if water runs in!

Has some project or construction or landscaping happened that could change local drainage (either surface or underground)? Anybody dammed a stream or built a pond nearby? Road construction? New house built with significant cut or fill?

Adding laterals might help temporarily, but I wouldn't count in them in the long run. Leach pits lack the sludge and scum baffling that septic tanks have, and eventually that stuff will get in the laterals and plug them.

If the bottom of your current pit is actually below the groundwater level you may not even have enough depth to put in a proper tank/leach field system, or may have to go to a "mounded" system where fill is added to give you more unsaturated soil depth.

If the groundwater level is a seasonal problem your cheapest route may be fix as well as you can and treat it like a holding tank during the wet season, with regular and frequent pump outs!

Another little bit of help might be to divert your laundry "greywater" waste to a different drain if it currently goes to the leach pit. I've seen washing machines go to "french drains", buried slotted pipes - doesn't meet code in many areas, but neither do leach pits! Same for basement sump pumps if you have one - usually not a code issue for sumps.

If you have a garbage disposal rip that sucker out right away and think composting!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by okie

I have watched this a number of times and it still brings tears to my eyes laughing!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

741 members (160user, 16gage, 16Racing, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 71 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,842
Posts18,478,199
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.