Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Teeder
So, hypothetically, if a middle-aged recovering rifle looney, that doesn't care much for recoil anymore, wanted to put together a mild kicking rifle for elk to moose, what would be a sensible cartridge choice? wink grin

7-08, 308 or 30-06 at most

grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's what I'm thinking. laugh

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am in the camp that believes that a medium bore or larger many times will produce a more visible reaction on game. This is based more on the 375 H&H as I have not hunted with the 338s. Even Jack O'Conner said a good big gun beats a good little gun every time, with the caveat "If you can shoot it'" I'm sure MD and others are correct in saying that most of the difference between the 300 and 338 is between the ears of the shooter at least with similar weight bullets. The 35 Whelen is another that seems to shoot beyond it's paper ballistics.

If I ever hunt Elk again it will be a toss up which rifle I'll use. I might go as light as the 6.5x55 or 270 WSM as both are lighter weight rifles these especially for cow Elk. The 280AI would be great but is on the heavy side. 7RM was made for Elk and is the most used for this purpose. The 300 is on the heavy side, the 375 feels right in the timber and will hopefully be used on Nilgai soon. In bear country especially with ones that have the Pavlovian conditioning of coming to the shot I would be happier with something 300 plus caliber.

If I were building a Mt. rifle I would think long and hard about the 7x57 in a light weight package.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
CRS,

Let me start my reply to your claim "bigger diameter bullets hit harder. If the only variable changed is bullet diameter, laws of physics dictate that" by pointing out that .338 bullets are .03 of an inch larger in diameter than .308 bullets. Wrapping a stiff business card around a .308 bullet will add that much.

This slight extra diameter does not contribute anything tangible to "hitting harder" or "killing power." Instead the diameter that really matters is the size of the "mushroom" on expanding bullets, because that's what makes the hole in big game vitals.

This varies far more than 3/100ths of an inch in bullet diameter. In fact I've measured the expanded diameter of recovered bullets that started out as .308's or .338's, by averaging the narrowest and widest points of the mushroom, and can't find any significant difference--except between brands. In other words, a .308 bullet that expands into a wide mushroom (say a Swift A-Frame) will be wide than a .338 caliber bullet that doesn't expand as widely. As a result, the difference in expanded diameter between .30 a .33 bullets overlaps considerably, and so does the amount of internal damage they do.

Let me also present a little history of the .338 Winchester Magnum. It was essentially the result of Elmer Keith's insistence that heavier, moderate-velocity bullets killed large game better than lighter, faster bullets. This was certainly true with the cup-and-core bullets he grew up with, and was the reason he eventually helped develop the several .33-caliber wildcats that resulted in the commercial .338 Winchester Magnum. But even Keith made no vast claims about the additional "killing power" of the slightly larger bullet diameter. Instead he settled on .33 because of older British .33 cartridges, which allowed 250-grain spitzers and 300-grain roundnoses to be used, much heavier than anything that worked in .30 caliber. These penetrated deeper than .30-caliber bullets, because they were slower and heavier.

In fact, Keith was originally a fan of .35 caliber, using the .35 Whelen considerably before going with .33, because .33-caliber bullets had higher ballistic coefficients so worked better at longer ranges. The SMALLER diameter bullets of the .338 Winchester Magnum were a solution to the deficiencies of cup-and-core bullets and long-range ballistics.

Now let's skip ahead to 2018, 60 years after the .338 Winchester was introduced. There are so many "premium" (or if you prefer, "controlled-expansion") bullets available these days that most .338 users don't even choose 250-grain bullets, instead using various lighter premiums. The recent elk-rifle poll on the Elk Hunting Forum reflects this: The average weight of bullets chosen by .338 Winchester magnum users was slightly under 220 grains, because of the large number of hunters who chose 200-210 grain bullets over the small number who chose the "traditional" 250-grain bullet, picked by Elmer Keith as the minimum suitable for .338. (When Winchester first introduced the .338, they asked Keith whar bullets they should load. He suggested a 250-grain spitzer for long-range shooting, and 275-300 grain roundnose for moderate ranges. Winchester also added a 200-grain spitzer at 3000 fps, and Keith just about went ballistic, if you'll pardon the pun.)

Most .338 users now choose 200-210 grain bullets, which don't have any particular advantage over premium 200's in the .300 magnums, because today's premium bullets of both diameters penetrate more than deeply enough on elk. We can argue about the tiny difference in initial bullet diameter (or the tiny difference in ballistic coefficient) which favors the .30's, but in reality they're very close to the same thing, bullets of around a third of an inch in diameter, weighing around 200 grains, shot at around 3000 fps.

This doesn't mean I believe bullet diameter doesn't make a difference in "hitting power." I just don't believe there's any noticeable difference between .30 and .33 in cartridges of about the same external ballistics, because of observing the results of each a LOT over the past 30 years.

However, the same observations have led me to believe that MAYBE there is a difference once bullet diameter is over, say, .35, especially when combined with heavier bullets in the 250-300 grain range Keith felt worked so well. I emphasize MAYBE because the animals I've seen such several 9.3mm and .375 cartridges used on do not always act overwhelmed. These have ranged in size from African springbok (a little smaller than American pronghorn) to some animals well over 1000 pounds, including plenty in between.

"Negative" examples would be a pair of springbok taken on a cull hunt in South Africa with a .375 H&H, using a pre-production 260-grain bullet at 2700 fps. They showed up about 100 yards away, and since this was partly a commercial meat hunt I aimed behind the shoulder of one. It dropped, and the other springbok ran a few yards and stood there, confused, so I shot it in the same place. That one ran about 100 yards before falling. Both had holes through their chests that would accommodate one end of an American football.

Another was an Alaskan caribou killed with a .378 Weatherby Magnum. It was hit several times by the shooter, a big guy who once played for the NFL, before finally succumbing. All the bullets landed forward of the diaphragm but around the edges of the lungs, probably because he was flinching, due to being eyebrow-battered on almost every shot by the scope. That's also just one of a number of instances that makes me doubt the common claim that magnums help make up for poor shot placement.

My old zoology professor at the University of Montana, Phil Wright, once got to go along and record the results a killing power experiment in the 1950's, where elk needed to be culled on the National Bison Range near Moiese, Montana. The shooter was a very good shot, and they decided to use two Model 70 Winchesters, one in .30-06 and the other a .375 H&H. Back then the only "premium" bullet available was the Nosler Partition, which few hunters had even heard of. They used Winchester factory ammo loaded with 220 and 300-grain roundnose bullets, both getting around the same moderate muzzle velocity. A dozen elk were shot with each rifle, from mature cows to big bulls.

Phil wrote up the results in an AMERICAN RIFLEMAN article that appeared in 1958. He gave me a reprint of the article, which recorded shot placement and damage, how far each elk traveled after the hit, and other details. The conclusion was the .375 H&H's only discernible advantage was more frequent blood trails, which might be needed, because the .375-killed elk traveled a few yards further before falling. (I lost the reprint a while back, but since then have collected old AMERICAN RIFLEMAN's going back to the 1920's, including the issue with the article.)

Above .40 caliber and there's more often a noticeable difference in how hard bullets hit, partly because they're bigger in diameter, but also because they're heavier.

I also don't think most hunters are very analytical about shooting results, often remembering "examples of one" that prove their prejudices about various rounds (and bullets), and especially the results of different shot placements. Examples of one don't mean much when compared to the results from far more animals, which tend to even out the vagaries of shot placement, and how individual animals react to the shot.

Great post, John. Thanks! My experience has led me to similar conclusions about the terminal effects of neighbouring calibers, even many neighours that are two doors down wink

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by CRS
I will stand by the statement that bigger diameter bullets hit harder. If the only variable changed is bullet diameter, laws of physics dictate that.

What does "hit harder" actually mean?

How does this change killing?

Original post I stated " dead is dead."

Hitting harder is a visual, and response at the impact.
Many variables, but with all things being equal I stand by my statement.

Arcus Venator
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Having killed over 30 elk with a 280 Remington shooting 160 Partitions at 2,900 mv.

THEN shooting another 30 plus elk with 300 mags/200 Partitions at 3,000 mv... and the 338 Win shooting 225 and 250 Partitions.

There is a VERY marked visual and auditory distinction on elk when hit with the mags.
Far more brutal.

Wither larger dia. or more bullet weight at higher speeds it's there.

I agree.

jmh3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SU35
Having killed over 30 elk with a 280 Remington shooting 160 Partitions at 2,900 mv.

THEN shooting another 30 plus elk with 300 mags/200 Partitions at 3,000 mv... and the 338 Win shooting 225 and 250 Partitions.

There is a VERY marked visual and auditory distinction on elk when hit with the mags.
Far more brutal.

Wither larger dia. or more bullet weight at higher speeds it's there.

I agree.

There are very few sounds as satisfying as the SMACK of a medium bore magnum striking an animal the size of an elk.

------------------------
John
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
As is typical with discussions of elk hunting cartridges, there still remains a wide variation of opinions. But it appears that most will agree that a quality bullet in the right place rises above the debate of bullet diameter and weight.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 01/09/18.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We had the same type of experience when in Africa using my 300 H&H, 330 Dakota, two 338's and two 375's. Every animal shot with my 300 died, but individual animal response was different with the bigger diameters. This was with 36 animals ranging from steenbok to eland.

I have seen the exact same thing with elk, 243 through 375. A couple dozen observation.
Same with deer/antelope using 22 calibers through 50 cal muzzleloaders. Hundreds of observations.

Arcus Venator
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Visual “smack” or not, most elk travel a bit and keel over, no matter what they were shot with. I had elk fajitas tonight that came from a nice 7x7 I shot with a 308. Funny how bullet quality and shot placement trumps sheer horespower. Horsepower is not a bad thing, it’s just that rifles chambered for “hard hitting” rounds usually weigh more than anything I want in my hands on a mountain. And they kick more.

When it’s all said and done, the old 30-06 is about the perfect blend of power and portability. It can weigh well under 8lbs all-up, have a 21 or 22” barrel, and still not kick too bad. The Everyman’s-Elk Rifle. Ditto the 308.

I used a 338 WM for a number of years. Nothing in the world wrong with it. But If you think you need that level of power, then you do...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by CRS

Same with deer/antelope using 22 calibers through 50 cal muzzleloaders. Hundreds of observations.

Yeah, that's not been my observation whatsoever. Caliber doesn't much matter.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
CRS,

Let me start my reply to your claim "bigger diameter bullets hit harder. If the only variable changed is bullet diameter, laws of physics dictate that" by pointing out that .338 bullets are .03 of an inch larger in diameter than .308 bullets. Wrapping a stiff business card around a .308 bullet will add that much.

This slight extra diameter does not contribute anything tangible to "hitting harder" or "killing power." Instead the diameter that really matters is the size of the "mushroom" on expanding bullets, because that's what makes the hole in big game vitals.

This varies far more than 3/100ths of an inch in bullet diameter. In fact I've measured the expanded diameter of recovered bullets that started out as .308's or .338's, by averaging the narrowest and widest points of the mushroom, and can't find any significant difference--except between brands. In other words, a .308 bullet that expands into a wide mushroom (say a Swift A-Frame) will be wide than a .338 caliber bullet that doesn't expand as widely. As a result, the difference in expanded diameter between .30 a .33 bullets overlaps considerably, and so does the amount of internal damage they do.

Let me also present a little history of the .338 Winchester Magnum. It was essentially the result of Elmer Keith's insistence that heavier, moderate-velocity bullets killed large game better than lighter, faster bullets. This was certainly true with the cup-and-core bullets he grew up with, and was the reason he eventually helped develop the several .33-caliber wildcats that resulted in the commercial .338 Winchester Magnum. But even Keith made no vast claims about the additional "killing power" of the slightly larger bullet diameter. Instead he settled on .33 because of older British .33 cartridges, which allowed 250-grain spitzers and 300-grain roundnoses to be used, much heavier than anything that worked in .30 caliber. These penetrated deeper than .30-caliber bullets, because they were slower and heavier.

In fact, Keith was originally a fan of .35 caliber, using the .35 Whelen considerably before going with .33, because .33-caliber bullets had higher ballistic coefficients so worked better at longer ranges. The SMALLER diameter bullets of the .338 Winchester Magnum were a solution to the deficiencies of cup-and-core bullets and long-range ballistics.

Now let's skip ahead to 2018, 60 years after the .338 Winchester was introduced. There are so many "premium" (or if you prefer, "controlled-expansion") bullets available these days that most .338 users don't even choose 250-grain bullets, instead using various lighter premiums. The recent elk-rifle poll on the Elk Hunting Forum reflects this: The average weight of bullets chosen by .338 Winchester magnum users was slightly under 220 grains, because of the large number of hunters who chose 200-210 grain bullets over the small number who chose the "traditional" 250-grain bullet, picked by Elmer Keith as the minimum suitable for .338. (When Winchester first introduced the .338, they asked Keith whar bullets they should load. He suggested a 250-grain spitzer for long-range shooting, and 275-300 grain roundnose for moderate ranges. Winchester also added a 200-grain spitzer at 3000 fps, and Keith just about went ballistic, if you'll pardon the pun.)

Most .338 users now choose 200-210 grain bullets, which don't have any particular advantage over premium 200's in the .300 magnums, because today's premium bullets of both diameters penetrate more than deeply enough on elk. We can argue about the tiny difference in initial bullet diameter (or the tiny difference in ballistic coefficient) which favors the .30's, but in reality they're very close to the same thing, bullets of around a third of an inch in diameter, weighing around 200 grains, shot at around 3000 fps.

This doesn't mean I believe bullet diameter doesn't make a difference in "hitting power." I just don't believe there's any noticeable difference between .30 and .33 in cartridges of about the same external ballistics, because of observing the results of each a LOT over the past 30 years.

However, the same observations have led me to believe that MAYBE there is a difference once bullet diameter is over, say, .35, especially when combined with heavier bullets in the 250-300 grain range Keith felt worked so well. I emphasize MAYBE because the animals I've seen such several 9.3mm and .375 cartridges used on do not always act overwhelmed. These have ranged in size from African springbok (a little smaller than American pronghorn) to some animals well over 1000 pounds, including plenty in between.

"Negative" examples would be a pair of springbok taken on a cull hunt in South Africa with a .375 H&H, using a pre-production 260-grain bullet at 2700 fps. They showed up about 100 yards away, and since this was partly a commercial meat hunt I aimed behind the shoulder of one. It dropped, and the other springbok ran a few yards and stood there, confused, so I shot it in the same place. That one ran about 100 yards before falling. Both had holes through their chests that would accommodate one end of an American footbale edges of the lungs, probably because he was flinching, due to being eyebrow-battered on almost every shot by the scope. That's also just one of a number of instances that makes me doubt the common claim that magnums help make up for poor shot placement.

My old zoology professor at the University of Montana, Phil Wright, once got to go along and record the results a killing power experiment in the 1950's, where elk needed to be culled on the National Bison Range near Moiese, Montana. The shooter was a very good shot, and they decided to use two Model 70 Winchesters, one in .30-06 and the other a .375 H&H. Back then the only "premium" bullet available was the Nosler Partition, which few hunters had even heard of. They used Winchester factory ammo loaded with 220 and 300-grain roundnose bullets, both getting around the same moderate muzzle velocity. A dozen elk were shot with each rifle, from mature cows to big bulls.

Phil wrote up the results in an AMERICAN RIFLEMAN article that appeared in 1958. He gave me a reprint of the article, which recorded shot placement and damage, how far each elk traveled after the hit, and other details. The conclusion was the .375 H&H's only discernible advantage was more frequent blood trails, which might be needed, because the .375-killed elk traveled a few yards further before falling. (I lost the reprint a while back, but since then have collected old AMERICAN RIFLEMAN's going back to the 1920's, including the issue with the article.)

Above .40 caliber and there's more often a noticeable difference in how hard bullets hit, partly because they're bigger in diameter, but also because they're heavier.

I also don't think most hunters are very analytical about shooting results, often remembering "examples of one" that prove their prejudices about various rounds (and bullets), and especially the results of different shot placements. Examples of one don't mean much when compared to the results from far more animals, which tend to even out the vagaries of shot placement, and how individual animals react to the shot.

Thank you for your response. I have seen the difference with my own eyes and have many examples of one that I could list just like you did above.

With the elk cull study, I would be more than interested in seeing the response of the shot animals, not just distance traveled. We have all seen animals that stagger and stumble the prerequisite 50-100 yards to die. The other side is the animal that is shot, shows little to no sign of being hit and does the death run.

For some, the latter is a little disconcerting, and are reassured by the visual evidence and subsequent behavior of the animal being shot. Some may even enjoy it, not my cup of tea, but to each his own.

I am quite used to the little visual evidence and death run as I prefer monometal bullets and shoot for the ribs to preserve meat.

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
There are very few sounds as satisfying as the SMACK of a medium bore magnum striking an animal the size of an elk.

John, you are a man after my own heart.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Folks tend to see whatever supports what they already believe to be true despite other contradictory evidence.

Last edited by RinB; 01/10/18.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Then there's old geezer (me) that can not forget light weight bullets failing to penetrate to vitals, even though experts and evidence shows that the light weight bullets work well today. The 264 WM was one of my first rifles as was a 6mm/244. The Nosler partitions were not available in 6mm then but were in 6.5. One of the first deer I shot was with a too lightly constructed bullet and the range was less than 50 yards - the cartridge the 264 WM. I had a two tag license and the other deer was shot at about 5 yards (he ran up and stopped next to me) with a 220 grain RN Rem CL in a 30-06. Guess which one ran away - I lost that deer and I think it was the only one ever for me. I never used anything but Partitions (cut on a screw machine) in that 264 after that on deer, but mostly it was a jack rabbit and crow shooter from then on.

I used a 30-06 for many many years. Then I shot a doe in the shoulder with a too lightly constructed bullet at 165 grains at ~~ 20 yards. The bullet didn't enter the rib cage and was stopped by the whitetail doe's shoulder. A second bullet to the head finished her.

So heavier better constructed bullets were used and 180 grain Hornady IL's and 180 grain Rem CL's never failed in the 06.

This year I shot my first deer with a mono bullet 130 grain 270. Worked well.

But I still have 6 or 7 boxes of 338 NPT's (250 grains).

For centuries people believed that Aristotle was right when he said that the heavier an object, the faster it would fall to earth. Aristotle was regarded as the greatest thinker of all time, and surely he would not be wrong. Anyone, of course, could have taken two objects, one heavy and one light, and dropped them from a great height to see whether or not the heavier object landed first. But no one did until nearly 2,000 years after Aristotle's death. In 1589 Galileo summoned learned professors to the base of the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Then he went to the top and pushed off a ten- pound and a one-pound weight. Both landed at the same instant. The power of belief was so strong, however, that the professors denied their eyesight. They continued to say Aristotle was right.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/10/18.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
CRS,

Unfortunately, Phil Wright was a scientist, and as I recall didn't record anything except measurable, non-subjective information.

I find it interesting that SU35 includes the .300 magnums with the .338 as producing "hard hitting" results, but you don't.

Had an interesting talk the other night over dinner with a New Zealand outfitter, in the U.S. for a sports show. He naturally sees a lot of animals taken with a wide variety of rifles and bullets, and his observation is that monometal bullets often result in more evidence of the hit than other bullets, though like others (including me) he's also noticed the animals lung-shot with monos often travel a ways before falling over. (He's also noticed, as I have, that Bergers result in animals traveling less after lung hits--but as he noted, they often just stand there until falling over, or maybe stagger a short distance.) The specific bullet certainly may contribute to "hard hitting," whether the sound or the animal's reaction. Two of the elk that I've seen react most to the hit were shot with the .257 Roberts and a 100-grain TTSX and the .308 with a 130 TTSX.

Glad you saw such consistent hard-hitting results in Africa. However, on one month-long safari in South Africa I saw almost twice as many animals killed with a wider variety of cartridges and bullets. Have been on a few other African trips as well, also specifically meant for culling large numbers of animals--as has RinB, who's been on far more, using a variety of cartridges and bullets. Between us the total is a lot more than 36 animals.

I have on occasion seen some cartridge/bullets seem to consistently produce the "hard-hitting" reaction. On a trip to Tanzania in 2011 I used a 9.3x62 with 286 Partitions as my "light" rifle. It killed a variety of plains game, including such supposedly hard-to-kill animals as zebra and blue wildebeest, hitting so hard that my hunting partner (whose light rifle was a .300 Winchester) immediately bought a 9.3x62 when we returned to the U.S. One animals that particularly impressed him was the blue wildebeest, shot as it quartered toward us. The bullet hit the big shoulder joint, and bull shuddered and staggered less than 25 yards before falling.

But I have used the .375 H&H just as much, of not more, than the 9.3x62, including as my only rifle on one safari, my big rifle on another, and my light rifle on yet another, and haven't seen the same consistent "hard-hit" results. I suspect the Tanzania "evidence" was due to my hitting almost all the animals in the shoulder. On that month-long cull hunt in South Africa I deliberately shot another blue wildebeest with a prototype monolithic 180-grain bullet from the .300 Winchester Magnum, also in the shoulder joint s it quartered toward me (a common stance for wildebeest). The results were basically identical to those with the 9.3x62, with visual and auditory evidence of a hard hit, and the wildebeest going about 24 yards before falling.

Then there was the eating-size mule deer buck I killed my first fall with the .338 Winchester Magnum, 1988. It was the last day of the rifle season and time to make meat. The buck and a few does were slowly feeding through a semi-open aspen patch, and luckily sufficient fresh, soft snow had fallen to soften the sound of my boots. I got within 50 yards and put a 250-grain Partition around the rear of the right ribs as he angled almost directly away, about to walk behind a small patch of aspens. The buck didn't react at all, just kept walking slowly, but when he emerged from the other side, a few second later, he started to stagger a little, then as I was about to shoot again lay down gently in the snow. The bullet had hit where I'd aimed, angling through both lungs before exiting just inside the right shoulder, and from the interior evidence had opened normally.

Basically, I regard "hard hitting" attributed to caliber as something like "hard hitting" attributed to high velocity, which many hunters think is due to that rather nebulous phenomenon "hydrostatic shock." I've also seen a bunch of animals taken with bullets leaving the muzzle at 3200+ fps, on up to 4300, and some of them immediately showed a huge reaction, including a broadside mule deer buck that flipped over on its back when shot through the lungs with a 100-grain TSX from a .257 Weatherby. But I've also seen many animals hit with super-zappers act much like that mule deer buck shot with the .338. As a result I don't count on seeing such reactions from any cartridge, instead depending on less subjective evidence of a good shot.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dammit, John, I sure like your writing, and the way you connect ideas to form conclusions. The idea streams are not only easy to follow, but logically constructed. I don't want to brown-nose, but even the writing you do here on the Fire is top-notch. I'm glad I get to read these interactions.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RinB
Folks tend to see whatever supports what they already believe to be true despite other contradictory evidence.

Everything in life is that way, for one tends to believe what one experiences. Some of us feel that the larger caliber guns seem to provide a bigger "smack" on the animal being shot at than smaller caliber guns, while the other side does not. However, no one side's comments can be considered "evidence" since the whole thing is based on perceptions. One thing for certain: most hunters in bear country tend to pick larger-caliber rather than small guns smile

Last edited by Ray; 01/10/18.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
One thing for certain: most hunters in bear country tend to pick larger-caliber rather than small guns

Ya Ray, including this guy.....
I am thinking about using my .338 again, mostly because in the past few years we've had grizzlies move into the mountain ranges on both sides of our Montana valley. At my stage of "middle age" I appreciate my .338's light weight even more, and if the odds go against me while hunting the local mountains, and somehow a grizzly gets actively involved, I'd like the .338 in my hands a little more than my .30-06.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mule Deer,

Thank you for your wonderful insight and great writing.

Maybe after a few hundred more animals a couple more trips to Africa I will change my subjective opinion.

There are lots of variables from bullet diameter, velocity, bullet construction, and of course shot placement that factor into an animals physiologic response to a shot.

Arcus Venator
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1936M71, 1Akshooter, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 61 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 883 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,807
Posts18,496,383
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.