Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I am going to mount a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10X42 on my Kimber Montana. I've been debating with myself whether I should use Talley Lightweights or go with a Picatinny rail and rings. The whole purpose of the NF is to eliminate any possible scope issues ,so I'm leaning toward a good rail and ring set up. How it looks is way down on the list but I don't mind cutting down on unnecessary weight or bulk if I'm not sacrificing dependability. I've not used a lot of rail and rings before so I would appreciate some suggestions of what would be best.

Right now I'm thinking of ordering either the Nightforce or Talley picatinny rail and some Nightforce light weight rings. I would go with the Burris extreme tactical signature rings but I was concerned that the extra width might limit my mounting adjustment on the short action.

Right now I use Talley lightweights with a 1" scope in mediums because the height of the mediums align with my eye better than the lows. I'm willing to consider any other ring options though if there is something better ,or that will fit the set up better.

Yes,I know it will add considerable weight to the Montana but I'm tired of wondering if I'm having scope problems or something else. I've been chasing my tail with this rifle,sometimes shooting one hole groups and sometimes 3" groups,and sometimes one hole groups to different POI without a scope adjustment or ammo change on the same day. Formidilosus has been generous enough to loan me a NF NXS to try the reticle and see how I like it on this rifle. If I like it,I'll order one. At least I'll know if I'm having some other issues other than scope and mounts. If the NF doesn't get me sorted out,I'm either going to rebarrel the Montana or get a Fieldcraft but I think I'm done with light weight unreliable scopes.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on mounts,and even pictures of your set up if you have something similar to what I am wanting.

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Either will work fine as long as you torque them properly. You're overthinking it.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Either will work fine as long as you torque them properly. You're overthinking it.

I do tend to do that,but I thought there could be a good bit of difference in rings.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
No, they're both very sturdy mounting systems and as long as you mount them properly they'll be rock solid.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use Talley's on two rifles with NXS scopes and TPS rings / Burris Tactical two-piece on the others. If you want even mo' bombproof (and added mounting flexibility), go with the rail and NF lightweight rings (or any number of other bombproof rings).

We're all just very happy to see you've finally landed on a potential scope choice. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like Talley rail with Seekins rings.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by SKane
I use Talley's on two rifles with NXS scopes and TPS rings / Burris Tactical two-piece on the others. If you want even mo' bombproof (and added mounting flexibility), go with the rail and NF lightweight rings (or any number of other bombproof rings).

We're all just very happy to see you've finally landed on a potential scope choice. laugh

Anything for you bro.LOL

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have Warne two piece bases, and Warne Mountain Tech rings on my Montana with a LRHS scope and couldn't be happier. It kind of splits the difference between Talley and a Pic rail and rings.

It's ALMOST as light as the Talleys, but in theory matches the strength of the Pic rial/rings combo with less weight/size.

I think you'd be quite pleased with that combo as well.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by SKane

Anything for you bro.LOL

grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by iddave
I have Warne two piece bases, and Warne Mountain Tech rings on my Montana with a LRHS scope and couldn't be happier. It kind of splits the difference between Talley and a Pic rail and rings.

It's ALMOST as light as the Talleys, but in theory matches the strength of the Pic rial/rings combo with less weight/size.

I think you'd be quite pleased with that combo as well.

Dave

Thanks Dave,that's the kind of options info I was looking for. Dave,I have some Warne steel bases for the Montana in the weaver style. I just looked and it looks like those Mountain Tech rings fit the weaver or picatinny style. Do you think there would be enough adjustment for ER on the Nightforce without using the full length rail? Low or medium?

I guess I wasn't real clear. I was hoping someone with more experience than me might give me a ring option that would be a good height for the 42mm NXS considering I chose the medium Talley lightweights over the lows,or tell me if the low NF light weight rings would be about right,too high or whatever.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What caliber is it??? Lots of difference in weight/ handling between the 308 and the 300win mag chamberings.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A couple of similar setups:

84m 7-08, Warne Maxima bases with the slot opened up, Burris XTR Sig Med
[Linked Image]

FC 6.5 Creed, Talley 0MOA pic rail (rear is quite a bit lower than the 20MOA rail), Burris XTR Sig Med
[Linked Image]

8400 7WSM, Warne Maxima with slot opened, Burris XTR Sig Med
[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The most durable setup regardless of abuse will be a 1 piece piccatinny base with good pic rings spread as far apart as possible. While Talley's do work I have seen several sets of split rings and cracked bases. Just for ring spacing alone I almost always choose a 1 piece pic base and rings.

Warns Mountain Tech is good, as is NF UL. Low rings will be fine.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jordan, how is cheek weld on the Barrett and the 7wsm? Looks like you could throw a cat under the objective end?

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
The rifle is a 7mm-08 Montana.

Jordan,
Did those Warne bases require much opening for the Burris XTR rings? I might can get access to a mill. Could you have used lows on that 7-08 Montana and cleared bolt and objective?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Jordan, how is cheek weld on the Barrett and the 7wsm? Looks like you could throw a cat under the objective end?

Cheek weld on the 7WSM is great. The Barrett is more of a mid-chin weld, but is usable. I've since added a stock pack/cheek riser to the Barrett and cheek weld is improved. I was hoping to get away without the stock pack, but no such luck. I'll take the added weight for the extra optical system integrity.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Jordan,
Did those Warne bases require much opening for the Burris XTR rings? I might can get access to a mill. Could you have used lows on that 7-08 Montana and cleared bolt and objective?

The bases took about 20 minutes of careful hand filing on the rear of the slot, per ring. A mil would make short work of that job, for sure, but is unnecessary. If I had a mil, I'd probably use it, though.

Burris doesn't make the XTR Sig in Low, but the rifle used to wear 30mm Talley LW Low's with that scope, and everything cleared. I'm very happy with the current setup. The rings have about 20-30 MOA of inclination in the inserts in that pic (can't remember exactly how much).

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Bottom rifle, 8400 Montana 7 WSM

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Anyone used the Seekins lows on a Montana 84m with a rail? Think there would be plenty of room for a 42mm Nightforce NXS? I know rails and rings are typically pretty high and the Seekins are the lowest I can find so far.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jordan, from my perspective those both look really high.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,622 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,062
Posts18,482,445
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.