Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Jordan, how is cheek weld on the Barrett and the 7wsm? Looks like you could throw a cat under the objective end?

Cheek weld on the 7WSM is great. The Barrett is more of a mid-chin weld, but is usable. I've since added a stock pack/cheek riser to the Barrett and cheek weld is improved. I was hoping to get away without the stock pack, but no such luck. I'll take the added weight for the extra optical system integrity.

That was my next question , especially the Barrett. I was wondering if you'd tried a stock pack or cheek riser of some flavor. Talley lows are perfect for me as far as fit, and snap shooting, bringing the rifle to the shoulder quick on jumped game. Have extra lows on my 223, and bolt clears ocular, objective clears barrel with a vari-xII 3-9 but the stock hits way high cheek. Talley Lows are perfection, for me. My montana's aren't relegated to long range shooting though, so max elevation adjustment is of little concern. For that matter, I've never thrown my rifle like a frisbee, ran over it with a tractor, used it as a club, dropped it off a cliff or out the window of a Jeep, so obsessing over nuclear hardened scope mounting has never been a huge concern either. My talley's split/crack I'll buy another set to replace them. Don't tell anybody, but two of the deer presently in my freezer fell to 140gr Sierra gamekings out of my 10 year olds 7-08 and the third fell to a 240gr Hornady xtp out of a front stuffer.

Last edited by jackmountain; 01/09/18.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
The rifle is a 7mm-08 Montana.

Jordan,
Did those Warne bases require much opening for the Burris XTR rings? I might can get access to a mill. Could you have used lows on that 7-08 Montana and cleared bolt and objective?

The bases took about 20 minutes of careful hand filing on the rear of the slot, per ring. A mil would make short work of that job, for sure, but is unnecessary. If I had a mil, I'd probably use it, though.

Burris doesn't make the XTR Sig in Low, but the rifle used to wear 30mm Talley LW Low's with that scope, and everything cleared. I'm very happy with the current setup. The rings have about 20-30 MOA of inclination in the inserts in that pic (can't remember exactly how much).

I didn't know the signatures only came in medium. I've used the XTR's without the inserts in low but never used the signatures. Yea,no contact with the rear of the slot so if there's not a lot of filing,I see where the mill wouldn't be necessary.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
Jordan, from my perspective those both look really high.

I guess that's the thing about scope height- it's a personal preference/fit sort of thing. One other thing to keep in mind, is that the appearance of the scope height varies with camera angle, I've noticed.

I like my head to be a little more vertical when the rifle is mounted, instead of tilted far forward with my eye down low, so a higher scope works fine for me. I wouldn't be hindered by a lower scope, but the XTR Sig is everything I want in a ring, so I'm willing to work with it. The 8400 setup works great for me, and as mentioned, the Barrett required a stock pack to get it where I like it. It was usable before, but is better now.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Jordan, how is cheek weld on the Barrett and the 7wsm? Looks like you could throw a cat under the objective end?

Cheek weld on the 7WSM is great. The Barrett is more of a mid-chin weld, but is usable. I've since added a stock pack/cheek riser to the Barrett and cheek weld is improved. I was hoping to get away without the stock pack, but no such luck. I'll take the added weight for the extra optical system integrity.

That was my next question , especially the Barrett. I was wondering if you'd tried a stock pack or cheek riser of some flavor. Talley lows are perfect for me as far as fit, and snap shooting, bringing the rifle to the shoulder quick on jumped game. Have extra lows on my 223, and bolt clears ocular, objective clears barrel with a vari-xII 3-9 but the stock hits way high cheek. Talley Lows are perfection, for me. My montana's aren't relegated to long range shooting though, so max elevation adjustment is of little concern. For that matter, I've never thrown my rifle like a frisbee, ran over it with a tractor, used it as a club, dropped it off a cliff or out the window of a Jeep, so obsessing over nuclear hardened scope mounting has never been a huge concern either. My talley's split/crack I'll buy another set to replace them. Don't tell anybody, but two of the deer presently in my freezer fell to 140gr Sierra gamekings out of my 10 year olds 7-08 and the third fell to a 240gr Hornady xtp out of a front stuffer.

I hear you. Difference strokes for different folks, but I've spent enough time and ammo chasing rifle problems, only to find out they were scope/mount problems, that these days I want all my rifles wearing scopes and mounting systems that are as bullet-proof as possible. Less worry and messing around, is what I'm after.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The rifle is a 7mm-08 Montana.

Jordan,
Did those Warne bases require much opening for the Burris XTR rings? I might can get access to a mill. Could you have used lows on that 7-08 Montana and cleared bolt and objective?

The bases took about 20 minutes of careful hand filing on the rear of the slot, per ring. A mil would make short work of that job, for sure, but is unnecessary. If I had a mil, I'd probably use it, though.

Burris doesn't make the XTR Sig in Low, but the rifle used to wear 30mm Talley LW Low's with that scope, and everything cleared. I'm very happy with the current setup. The rings have about 20-30 MOA of inclination in the inserts in that pic (can't remember exactly how much).

I didn't know the signatures only came in medium. I've used the XTR's without the inserts in low but never used the signatures. Yea,no contact with the rear of the slot so if there's not a lot of filing,I see where the mill wouldn't be necessary.

That 20 minutes per ring includes cleanup and re-bluing the exposed raw steel, after the filing was finished wink

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I hear you. Difference strokes for different folks, but I've spent enough time and ammo chasing rifle problems, only to find out they were scope/mount problems, that these days I want all my rifles wearing scopes and mounting systems that are as bullet-proof as possible. Less worry and messing around, is what I'm after.

We're lucky to get a 300 yd shot. Normally 150yds and under. Shots you would take without hesitation, I would/could never consider. Definitely appreciate and respect the time and commitment involved to develop the skill set that allows that. Always enjoy your informative posts. First hand experience as opposed to all the regurgitated hear say you see so much of on here.Thanks for your time Jordan.

Last edited by jackmountain; 01/09/18.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I admit to preferring a mount height low enough to accommodate a solid cheek weld on the stock. Increased mounting heights result in a jawbone or masseter muscle weld. In my experience a cheek weld is more comfortable and consistent. While adding a stock pack helps, I prefer not having one on a sporter, lightweight or otherwise. There’s definitely more than one way to skin this cat.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I admit to preferring a mount height low enough to accommodate a solid cheek weld on the stock. Increased mounting heights result in a jawbone or pterygoid muscle weld. In my experience a cheek weld is more comfortable and consistent. While adding a stock pack helps, I prefer not having one on a sporter, lightweight or otherwise. There’s definitely more than one way to skin this cat.

Not suprisingly, the stocks on the new breed of production ultra lights were definitely not designed with long range/maximum inclination scope mounting systems in mind. Ranch hand doesn't make a bumper to fit a Ford Mustang either.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Definitely looks like the Warne two piece bases allow lower mounting than a one piece rail.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Definitely looks like the Warne two piece bases allow lower mounting than a one piece rail.

That’s one way I skin this cat, Warne 2- piece bases with low TPS HTR or TSR-W Rings.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ranch hand doesn't make a bumper to fit a Ford Mustang either.

👍 on the metaphor.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone used the Seekins lows on a Montana 84m with a rail? Think there would be plenty of room for a 42mm Nightforce NXS? I know rails and rings are typically pretty high and the Seekins are the lowest I can find so far.

Yes, I have on a 8400 with no problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Yep, but you're giving up some things too, like guaranteed scope ring alignment, rigidity and durability, scope ring latitude flexibility, etc. Lots of trade-offs to be considered, here.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I admit to preferring a mount height low enough to accommodate a solid cheek weld on the stock. Increased mounting heights result in a jawbone or masseter muscle weld. In my experience a cheek weld is more comfortable and consistent. While adding a stock pack helps, I prefer not having one on a sporter, lightweight or otherwise. There’s definitely more than one way to skin this cat.

My experience is that different people's faces fit riflestocks differently, and each person needs to find a cheek weld that is solid and repeatable. My ideal cheekweld may be slightly higher than yours, but a lack of parallax or POI problems, in addition to being able to acquire the desired POA very quickly when mounting a rifle, regardless of scope used, indicates that my cheek weld works for me, as I'm betting yours works for you.

Honestly, I'm not one of those people that finds cheek weld height to be super critical.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

We're lucky to get a 300 yd shot. Normally 150yds and under. Shots you would take without hesitation, I would/could never consider. Definitely appreciate and respect the time and commitment involved to develop the skill set that allows that. Always enjoy your informative posts. First hand experience as opposed to all the regurgitated hear say you see so much of on here.Thanks for your time Jordan.

While it allows extended range shooting, the purpose for the specific scope mounting setup on the 84m and the Barrett, is to increase reliability and mechanical integrity, more than anything else. I grew tired of worrying about whether my scopes were still zero'd, or not...

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by skeen
Anyone used the Seekins lows on a Montana 84m with a rail? Think there would be plenty of room for a 42mm Nightforce NXS? I know rails and rings are typically pretty high and the Seekins are the lowest I can find so far.

Yes, I have on a 8400 with no problem.

Lowest option with a rail?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Not on a Montana but I am using a rail with Seekins lows on several rifles, including a couple of Fieldcrafts. One of those has a 42mm Nightforce and there is plenty of room.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Honestly, I'm not one of those people that finds cheek weld height to be super critical.

Thank you......me either......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I wasn't real clear. I was hoping someone with more experience than me might give me a ring option that would be a good height for the 42mm NXS considering I chose the medium Talley lightweights over the lows,or tell me if the low NF light weight rings would be about right,too high or whatever.

I can't comment specifically to the NF rings, but I need mediums as well in everything, whether it's Talley lightweights in 1" or 30mm, or rails and rings. My hunting setups with 2.5-10x32 NF's, two have 20 MOA Seekins rails with medium Seekins rings, and the third is a Bat VR w/ an integral 0 base with Seekins mediums. Perfect for me.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have used the Seekins lows on several rifles (not a Montana 84M) with one piece rail with 20 MOA base and have cleared 42mm scopes nicely. I really like the Seekins low rings, there are my go to rings.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,725
Posts18,475,848
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.