Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I don't get this. Why would you pay $45 more for a scope vs. what you can buy it new for?

Ebay FX-II 2.5x U.L.Compact w/Heavy Duplex

I was watching that item, thought I might pick it up if it went low enough. That went for $375 with shipping, wow.
I just recently ordered the exact same thing from the Leup Custom shop, $329 to my door.
Am I missing something? Unless you just had to have it for some immediate need for THAT scope I guess....

Last edited by BlackFrog; 01/11/18.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That's EBAY for ya.

Good for the seller

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have seen items sold for more than the "Buy it now" price.Now that's stupid.

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Either stupid, or a scam.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think some people don't even know what price they can buy the item for elsewhere when they get to bidding on eBay. Also, I've noticed in general that used Leupold scopes very often sell for more money on eBay than they would anywhere else. Which is why I like selling Leupolds on eBay, and buying Leupolds on here.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You've never really seen the epitome of "pay more than it's worth" until you've seen a firearm sold at a farm auction.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Well, in the case of Loopy I have seen VX-II, Vari-X II etc go for more than VX-2. Same with 1's and 3's. I think the cat is out of the bag with the old Leupold stuff being pretty good, while the new stuff seems chitty.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by 5sdad
You've never really seen the epitome of "pay more than it's worth" until you've seen a firearm sold at a farm auction.

Yup that's really what it comes down to, gun and farm auctions get stupid and ebay is no exception. The last gun auction I went to (a few years ago) guys were paying $100+ for cheap $30 Lee casting pots, and those were the online bidders who could have done a quick google search for the item. The guy who outbid me on a pallet of bullets had no idea what he'd bought, he said his goal was just to spend $10K at the auction. There's no explaining the stupidity when "auction fever" kicks in.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree about gun auctions, lots of guns sold for more than new. Lots of old ammo, etc. same way.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
People are buying used Leupolds on the Classifeds within 10% of new in some cases..........

Most folks just don't shop around and have much idea what a good price is, often going by the popular--and expensive--websites. Plus, the price of everything that shoots has come down, including other brands of scopes and optics.

It's like the guy who pays something close to retail for a gun and when he wants to sell it thinks he's going to get something close to retail.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 01/11/18.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Same reason gift cards on Ebay sell for more than face value.

One reason though could be Paypal Credit 6 months 0 interest. Most non ebay dealers dont take Paypal

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Never thought of that.......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Auctions create an urgency to buy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Folks get their blood up for something and abandon reason. Sellers often try a ridiculous price first, hoping for the best.

My wife's been selling off various collectables for a few years and is constantly besieged by dealers and other cheapskates who want stuff essentially for free, with free shipping, of course. That's the other side of this.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BlackFrog
I don't get this. Why would you pay $45 more for a scope vs. what you can buy it new for?

Ebay FX-II 2.5x U.L.Compact w/Heavy Duplex

I was watching that item, thought I might pick it up if it went low enough. That went for $375 with shipping, wow.
I just recently ordered the exact same thing from the Leup Custom shop, $329 to my door.
Am I missing something? Unless you just had to have it for some immediate need for THAT scope I guess....

Reminds me of the old saying about a fool and his money.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What really gets me about auctions is when people don't even look at/inspect the items. They hear the auctioneer throw out what seems like a low price and they say 'heck, that's a good deal!' Then they get wrapped up in the auction and pay too much. Saw a guy buy a Winchester M70 at an auction for what seemed like a 'great' price. Until he picked it up after the auction and actually looked at it. Beat up, rust, pitting, you name it.

Auctions are like most things in life: If you go in without a plan your likelihood of getting screwed is multiplied by 100.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by screaminweasil
That's EBAY for ya.

Good for the seller

Part of the reason people pay more is the e-bay language that sets them up to “win” something. Win? The buyer merely bought it, but the psychology is that he won it. I suppose it indicates that he won over bidding competitors, but is the goal to buy something at a reasonable price or spend a foolish amount to feel like I won some kind of contest? Obviously the goal for such buyers is to win, whatever the cost.

I gotta go down to Safeway today and win some groceries.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Buyer beware", never more appropriate than in this day and age of scammers. There are deals to be had, just need to be educated enough to know what's good and what's too good.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
What really gets me about auctions is when people don't even look at/inspect the items. They hear the auctioneer throw out what seems like a low price and they say 'heck, that's a good deal!' Then they get wrapped up in the auction and pay too much. Saw a guy buy a Winchester M70 at an auction for what seemed like a 'great' price. Until he picked it up after the auction and actually looked at it. Beat up, rust, pitting, you name it.

Auctions are like most things in life: If you go in without a plan your likelihood of getting screwed is multiplied by 100.

There is also the mentality that says, "Hey, that's a good price! I need that like I need a hole in the head, either because I have no earthly use for it or else I have umpteen of them already that just sit and gather dust, but by golly, there might be someone who can really use it, especially at that price - can't let that happen!"

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bdan68
I think some people don't even know what price they can buy the item for elsewhere when they get to bidding on eBay. Also, I've noticed in general that used Leupold scopes very often sell for more money on eBay than they would anywhere else. Which is why I like selling Leupolds on eBay, and buying Leupolds on here.

^^^^^This ^^^^^^^^^^^

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

401 members (007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 222ND, 10ring1, 33 invisible), 2,034 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,875
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.