Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunReader
They avoid getting prosecuted by spoofing the caller ID so you can't identify them.
Spoofing the Caller ID ought to become seriously illegal.

Yep, real prison time.

GB1

L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
The link discusses one robo caller. It shares that he makes so much money, he can tell the FCC to have sex with themselves. The link shares that his house payment is only $25,000.00 per month Plus he has employed a personal chef and has many expensive cars.

The message for robo callers is "crime pays".

I hope there is a place in hell for robo call entrepreneurs.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by satx78247
To All,

Personally, I'd like to see TELEMARKETING & ROBO calls OUTLAWED altogether.

yours, tex

Based on the article, it is against the law since 2008. Exceptions are for political campaigning and school closings for weather, or from government organizations, such as weather warnings and such.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Real Hawkeye,

I believe that my privacy shouldn't be disturbed by people that I didn't REQUEST to call me. - Period, except for bonafide emergency notifications, like out local tornado alert system.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"They win only if you answer the phone."

I haven't been answering unknown callers for years and it hasn't slowed them down at all.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's kinda hard not to answer if you own a business. Kinda related - if you use Vista Print for business cards, they sell the shiite out of your info.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 280shooter
It's kinda hard not to answer if you own a business. Kinda related - if you use Vista Print for business cards, they sell the shiite out of your info.

Oh, God, tell me about it! During my slow season I get ten sales call for every client call.

My next business will have only "900" numbers. I'll reimburse the charges for customers on their next bill. In fact my next business may simply be setting myself up as an apparent business with a dozen "dba"s with their own "900" phone numbers.

But I suppose robo-callers won't call "900" numbers? Maybe the hundreds of self-appointed Google consultants will still call, they seem pretty stupid.

Last edited by GunReader; 01/13/18.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
TracFone

ghetto rat phone of choice

lmfao

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by aalf

Might just have to give that a try.....thanks!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Nebraska

Might just have to give that a try.....thanks!

I still might get an occasional one, but it won't stop the mofos that snag local non-working numbers to use.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
They have gotten very clever and are using local area codes and prefixes as a mask to get you to answer the phone. Like dale06 mentioned, if I don't know the caller, I don't answer.

And it should be / probably is illegal. I missed a call from a number with the same area code and prefix as our cell phones. I called back mainly because I use my cell as my go-to phone and have people from work or church that call regularly, and I can’t save every name in the world in my contacts. The lady that answered had no clue what I was talking about. I kept telling her that I had gotten a call from her number and she kept telling me she had never called me and that it was the first time she had been on the phone all day. She was elderly and was getting frustrated so I apologized and hung up. Next day same number shows up and it’s a robocall. Apparently they can “hack” through a local number. I can’t see how it is possible legal. Not at all!

Last edited by philgood80; 01/13/18.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Lennie, you will never believe this. I joined a new boating forum this morning and my first post was about the health benefits of Guava Raspberry juice.

Quite possibly my favorite first response!!!!!

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I check the name if it is not anyone I know I hit call block my phone hangs up and puts the number on a blocked list.

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Last week I started getting Text Messages from the "spoofs" using the new twilio's card. They now spoof a number, typically using your specific area code, then run it through their Twilio card , call you and they are are on your phone. The text message comes up. After the first one, like others have said, if I didn't know who sent the text I just deleted it. BTW, the texts I received are about "my" home insurance. Sickening.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Lennie
That federal No Call llist is laughable.. Does bupkis..

With all the political calls I got yesterday I think that today I'm just going to unplug the damned phone and enjoy a day of peace..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

tag

Retired cat herder.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
If you don't rec the number, don't answer, I feel for the private business owners that 'have to answer for fear of losing and customer/sale.

Trump Won!
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
My wife has been religious about reporting robocalls and that helped. We also got a call blocker device for the home phone last year and loaded the AT&T “call protect” app on our cell phones.

Both the call blocker for the home phone and “call protect” for the cell phones have ways to manually block a given number and they’ll automatically block any known frauds, etc. The multi-mode approach hasn’t been 100% but much, much better.

These A-holes are pretty tricky about spoofing; we’ve even had calls that the phone’s caller ID showed MY name for the caller.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I ran an autodialer for a couple years. I worked political and medical surveys. Some took up to 15 minutes to go through, and i only got paid for a completed survey. (This was 25 years ago).
The dialer would call several lines st once, and whichever line picked up first was who I talked to. It was very difficult to be interesting, entertaining, and get all the boxes filled in, before they got bored or impatient and hung up. It was a really frustrating job. Not surprised they went to robots.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Identify those responsible for robo-calls. Then this...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (admin, 44mc, AlanF, 7887mm08, Amos63, 8 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,644
Posts18,533,701
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.