Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 37 of 38 1 2 35 36 37 38
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Like a good percentage of those on here, I never met Mr. Cameron but I did enjoy his comments. From reading the eloquently penned tribute by Ed and the other tributes expressed, I can envision him as being a whole lot like the man named Hub and portrayed by Robert Duvall in Secondhand Lions. RIP sir and Gracie.

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by stxhunter
had a dream last night him and i were sharing a little of my shine.

We should do a road trip to the next Tonto gathering, Roger. I went two years ago. A great trip.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM

We should do a road trip to the next Tonto gathering, Roger. I went two years ago. A great trip.

Ed get a hold of Doc, if he can, he plans on flying, weather permitting and might have his new plane by then. Flying or driving the three of us could go up together.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM

Ed get a hold of Doc, if he can, he plans on flying, weather permitting and might have his new plane by then. Flying or driving the three of us could go up together.

Careful guys, that would be too cool. There are a lot more good Campfire men I would like to meet. I invited myself to the last one but work cancelled my days off.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well I knew at some point I had communicated with Crossfire, here is part of what we covered, makes me wonder what happened to ken's info.
he was compiling

You wrote:

"Quote:
Would have been nice to know he had been taken to the hospital and was that close to the end"

It was a VERY conscious decision, made by a LOT of Ken's close friends NOT to tell the general population of Campfire denizens about the reaper's obviously final approach.

Look at the chit that some azzwhole's already put up, and get ready for a whole herd of other trash turning up to generally sling chit, and demean the man. Frankly, we were just not up for it.

I've got a compendium of his unpublished writings, and per his final wishes, will be compiling them, ....this WILL take some time. If you want to get ahold of em' lemme know, I'd be glad to fire em' North.

Best Regards,

Greg

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Maybe CCCC can find out.

I would be VERY interested in Ken's musings, also. He, like Greg was a very entertaining, educated, and interesting man.
I first met many 'fire members, including Ken, at Greg's "ranchito"

Last edited by mark shubert; 11/05/17.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would be interested in reading whatever comes from that endeavor.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Most of Ken's writings he didn't publish he put on here at some time or another. He gave many of us unpublished religious writings in a memory stick form, I believe I've seen them here also, it may be quite a search to find them though.

Though he may also have given Greg some technical writings, I know he granted permission to the publisher to republish his Blue book with no royalties to himself.

If I could write at all I'd write the novel he wanted, Hr explained it in detail for hours on some late night talks, in the old West, a real life event he was told about from his cowboy mentor who lived in that history... but I'm not a writer.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mark, I regularly encouraged Ken to organize, codify and lodge his many writings - on many topics - on the the Campfire and anywhere else that would enable folks to find them easily. I requested a copy of the whole thing. He was an outstanding writer whose work should have been shared widely, but in those last years he seemed to have other things in the front of his mind and the project never took full flight. But, he was good in sharing various of his writings with many people - quite a few of them here on the Campfire - and quite a number of things might be gathered up from these folks. I do have one or two pieces he wrote - about how to write.

Partsman - there is more than a bit of myth in some of those explanations why people did not know of Ken Howell's hospitalization and last days. Well before he died, he had withdrawn - firmly - from any communication related to the Campfire. The timing of his burn incident and hospitalization during a holiday period inhibited the flow of news. I was 2,000 miles from here when it happened. It was difficult to get good info, but we managed to connect via Campfire PMs and some did get to visit him in the hospital in Albuquerque. When I got to him, he was in very serious pain from the burns and had been in threat of death since being flown there. Although he hung on for quite a while, our interaction indicated that his will had been greatly diminished. In the little communication we managed, he made known his wish that his situation was not for broadcast. There was no plot to exclude info from here or anywhere else. Due to noted circumstances, only a few knew about it and folks simply honored Ken's earlier decision to withdraw from the Campfire.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
found a voicemail on my ph from Greg, i hadn't listened to till today, from 8/12

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I never met or corresponded with Crossfireoops, but I learned from and thoroughly enjoyed his individual posts and his illustrated threads on using, repairing, and rebuilding black powder arms, whether the arm used loose components or fixed ammunition. I learned about his death today: I can't write anything that hasn't been better written by others before I got the unwelcome news. The best I can do is to imagine Pope, Freund, Brockway and others meeting him at the Pearly Gates to register him for a 200 meter "stand on your hind legs and shoot like a man" match a day or three after his arrival. May he rest in peace.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is this the campfire obituary, never seen the real one ,if there was one ...but 31 pages well due...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mad Trapper of Rat River
I have just spent 3 hours reading this thread, I have not been on a lot in the last 6 months and year and a half since my wife's passing ,was supprised and dishartened at Greg's passing ,.
thanks to DD and ED ,Magnum, and others for their help and responce. As has been said many of us on here are of that age bracket where things happen and we pass on. To be remembered as he is being is an honor to his life, knowledge and persona,RIP Greg.

depending on my health and treatments I may be able to show up in late Feb.

norm

Last edited by norm99; 12/27/17.

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by krp
Most of Ken's writings he didn't publish he put on here at some time or another. He gave many of us unpublished religious writings in a memory stick form, I believe I've seen them here also, it may be quite a search to find them though.

Though he may also have given Greg some technical writings, I know he granted permission to the publisher to republish his Blue book with no royalties to himself.

If I could write at all I'd write the novel he wanted, Hr explained it in detail for hours on some late night talks, in the old West, a real life event he was told about from his cowboy mentor who lived in that history... but I'm not a writer.

Kent

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...chapters-1-15-of-in-step-with-the-master

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Aw Crud...... Cross I was just looking you up for another quick chat..... Sorry I missed this thread..... I was super busy the last few months...... It wasn't that I didn't care.... I was just busy...... dagnabbit...... well I'm opening up that restaurant I mentioned to you.... keep an eye on us if you can..... 😔
Definitely an irreplaceable one of a kind..... Yep you were a diamond...

Dagnabbit.....
Pauly Mac

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The SW gang and some good guys from afar will be remembering Greg in a special way during the gathering at Tonto Basin in late February. All are welcomed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
never seen an obit. don't think one was published, at least in arizona

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually, the info, recollections and comments posted by folks here far surpassed what any newspaper obit would have been worth. Well done.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sycamore
never seen an obit. don't think one was published, at least in arizona

It should have been in the Sierra Vista Herald, watched for it for 2 months, but never was.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Greg gave some of the best advice ever conerning firearm ownership, after having been robbed and losing all my guns.
He told me,
"It's okay to discuss rifles, cartridges, and the like, just don't ever post what you own because sinister opportunists are watching and waiting for that chance to make your life hell."

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Page 37 of 38 1 2 35 36 37 38

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,539
Posts18,472,836
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.