Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
taz4570 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Looking for a mountain bike made for hunting to use during this spring's turkey outings. I have a very back back, S-I joints, and right knee. Surgery on the back and S-I joints is hopefully put off to next year. PT and a good S-I belt seem to be keeping those joints happy and the Doc doesn't want to do the back until the S-Is are good.

I think I'm needing a good mountain bike with front and back suspension and probably fat tires. Don't know anything about these critters and am looking for suggestions from folks that have used them for hunting. I understand that if the bike isn't built with hunting applications in mind, I will probably have to spend a bunch to aftermarket it.

Thanks for your advice ahead of time!

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What kind of terrain do you envision riding in? Rough, smooth, steep, flat? Much climbing involved? When you hunt, what will you take besides the gun?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Honda............................................

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Buy one that's painted camo.
Otherwise I don't know of any bike that's specific to hunting, and don't know any bike accessories that are specific to hunting. Luggage racks front and back for bags and something to carry a rifle/shotgun--probably in front of the handlebars.

I've seen guys strap their backpack on the luggage racks, and or a duffle bag. The problem with the pannier style bike bags is they hang on the sides and will catch on the narrow spots of the trail.

Don't know what kind of terrain you'll be hunting in, but keep in mind on steep and deep trails you may end up pushing a fully loaded bike, because climbing and negotiating steep trails takes some experience and effort regardless. There is a lot of good two track roads/trails in Colorado for biking, but if it's two track then motorized ATV and/or full size vehicles can drive there too.

Are you planning on an overnight somewhere?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Honda............................................

CT-110

[Linked Image]

DMc : )

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
You will have a tough time getting a rack on a full suspension bike. If you go fat tire or plus size tires you probably won’t need it depending on the terrain. If you aren’t already a mtnbiker it is going to be hard to ride any rough terrain with added gear and a rifle.

B
B
Go to the local bicycle store and get sized properly. Most important detail right there! I have used mountain bikes and recently a Fat Bike. Do some searching on them, quite popular for cyclists going camping and using their bikes to carry all their gear. I am currently riding a Fat Bike in the middle of winter, the list of accessories available is mind boggling. The biggest difference in riding the different styles is a mind set. On my Fat Bike, I just know I am going to be going slow, 5-6 mph cross country is reasonable, less if loaded. I have used it on an elk hunt in southern Alberta in November, and bike an average of 50 miles per week since then, none of it on roads. Great in snow up to 8" so far, studded tires are like velcro on ice and I have not had a puncture yet while riding game trails. The Fat bike is simpler but heavier than my mountain bike and feels softer to ride, due to the huge tires run at low pressure. A company in Montana makes bow and rifle scabboards for them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Go with the Honda.

You get to dress up like the Hamburgler!

[Linked Image]

DMc : )

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I used to strap my pack and bow to the inside of my Summit Viper climber, throw that on my back, and bike into a couple spots. Sure beat walking and didn't spook the deer......would ditch my old Trek 6500 a couple hundred yards away and walk to my spot to avoid having any unusual scents next to my stand.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B3

T
taz4570 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes to everything terrain. I'll use it for turkey and early season elk and deer. Some steep, mostly trails, but some bush whacking. I'll be pushing the bike up and downhill on the steep as it will be early morning and late evening dark coming out. I hike 5-8 miles in and usually put on 15-20 by days end. Looking to save time on either end of day. Definitely some overnighting during early deer/elk in the fall. Probably get more use during spring turkey season with flat to moderate steep two track and trails. If this spring turkey works out with the bike, I may try it during antelope in CO and WY. Ultimately deer/elk in CO, NM, and WY.

I have considered Quiet Kat and Rambo electric bikes, but would expect lots of flak from FS and state boys.

I like that classic Honda!!

Henry Ford

T
taz4570 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for the link, aalf.

Any brand recommendations?

Henry Ford

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Unless you are planning to hit 60+ mph downhill with 12 foot drops you probably won't need rear suspension.

If you are, you'll need a good one and those are $6k..those bikes are amazing technology, but they won't pedal uphill or cross country as easily as a hardtail.

Front suspension is nice but still another handicap unless it is a decent fork, otherwise just a flexy steel front end is fine and more stable.

You can put a seat stem shock absorber on any of them.

I like 29" wheels... they roll better and faster than 26" and cushion the ride, but a recent trend in the sport is to 27.5 wheels with fatter tires. They are 2.35" tires, not the real fat ones.

For off road gearing is 1x8...more rugged and less parts, but there is also 1x9, 1x10 and 1x11. Or set the front gear to the middle ring and leave it alone.

Good wheels and tires might arguably be the most important high grade component. And get a good hand pump and a patch kit...also carry a couple of extra tubes.

One of my favorite bikes is a "Cross" bike that is all steel, no suspension and 1-1/4" tires, and cantilever brakes. It floats fine and is faster than anything else cross country, but the 29ers feel smoother and they can really get rolling.

Another has a 27.5 rear tire and a 29" front tire and a Rock Shock coil fork...that one is real good for just about everything.

Ha...Ha... it's called a B-29...

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bowshot
Go to the local bicycle store and get sized properly. Most important detail right there! I have used mountain bikes and recently a Fat Bike. Do some searching on them, quite popular for cyclists going camping and using their bikes to carry all their gear. I am currently riding a Fat Bike in the middle of winter, the list of accessories available is mind boggling. The biggest difference in riding the different styles is a mind set. On my Fat Bike, I just know I am going to be going slow, 5-6 mph cross country is reasonable, less if loaded. I have used it on an elk hunt in southern Alberta in November, and bike an average of 50 miles per week since then, none of it on roads. Great in snow up to 8" so far, studded tires are like velcro on ice and I have not had a puncture yet while riding game trails. The Fat bike is simpler but heavier than my mountain bike and feels softer to ride, due to the huge tires run at low pressure. A company in Montana makes bow and rifle scabboards for them.

I have used a mountain bike here in bc but the fat tire bike is intriguing, I was wondering how to get the game out on the bike, any idea's?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by taz4570
Yes to everything terrain. I'll use it for turkey and early season elk and deer. Some steep, mostly trails, but some bush whacking. I'll be pushing the bike up and downhill on the steep as it will be early morning and late evening dark coming out. I hike 5-8 miles in and usually put on 15-20 by days end. Looking to save time on either end of day. Definitely some overnighting during early deer/elk in the fall. Probably get more use during spring turkey season with flat to moderate steep two track and trails. If this spring turkey works out with the bike, I may try it during antelope in CO and WY. Ultimately deer/elk in CO, NM, and WY.

I have considered Quiet Kat and Rambo electric bikes, but would expect lots of flak from FS and state boys.

I like that classic Honda!!

Alright. It sounds like a backpack and gun are about all you are going to carry. You can use a seatpost mount rear rack to hold your gun, but unless you use a hard case, that leaves it vulnerable to damage during a spill, and you WILL have a spill. You also have to consider how you will transport the turkey. As crazy as this sounds a good old fashion handlebar mounted basket may be the best option. An extra 15 pounds there though makes handling pretty quirky. If you go with a front suspension only, you can carry more weight on the back. I mountain bike unladen in CO almost every summer. It will be a serious workout with a load, even when you are pushing uphill. Fat bikes seem appealing, but they are generally heavy and have extra weight in the wheels which translates to harder to pedal. I don't really know the best approach for you. Just thinking out loud here.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Forgot to mention 29" or 27.5" tires, they roll over rocks easier.......

Fat tire bikes are great in snow or deepish mud, but are more effort to pedal, don't steer as easily.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'd get a hardtail and add a B.O.B. Ibex trailer.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Whiptail; 01/13/18.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
T
taz4570 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for the input.

Really looking for advice on bike builders. Who builds the best? Who to avoid?

Henry Ford

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by taz4570
Thanks for the link, aalf.

Any brand recommendations?

I've heard good things about Rogue Ridge electric bikes.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whiptail

I'd get a hardtail and add a B.O.B. Ibex trailer.

[Linked Image]

Thats exellent, thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 43 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,223
Posts18,504,188
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.