Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#12548801 01/14/18
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Not everybody appreciates them. Who knew?

I think it's because they don't have one of their own. Probably never have.

LOL

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Awful early, for non clarity?

Wish the idiots around here would quit lighting them, its occupied way to many of my personal hours the last 2 weeks putting out their stupidity.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago I needed to rent a backhoe. While I had it I dug 3' deep burn pit in the back of a pasture. The pit helps keep the wind from blowing junk around until I next light it up. I've been replacing some windows and I dumped a bunch of scrap from that job in there yesterday.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In the summer the county will declare a fire permit season. The permit's free. All it's for is so they know who's burning so they don't send out fire trucks every time someone reports a little smoke. They can just make a quick call to the permit holder to see if he's burning at that time.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wish I had a place to have a good one.
I actually do, but it is 15 miles from the house.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 01/14/18.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Apparently they're outlawed in my lovely home state now. At least if the elderly Northerners next door call the Fire Marshall and claim the smoke is affecting their breathing anyway....

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
"Ya know, people with breathing problems..."

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495

Wish the idiots around here would quit lighting them, its occupied way to many of my personal hours the last 2 weeks putting out their stupidity.

It's not that they light them.

It's that they don't know WHEN to light them. wink

I still have more than a few from Hurricane Harvey to burn. Maybe after some spring rain on a calm day....

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I should point out that I live on an acre and a half and burn on the side bordering 20 acres of cow pasture. Guessing that darn wood smoke must have picked up some contaminants as it rose over my house and fell back down to theirs 100 yards away.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Been burning a big one every year for a long time. Use the spot for gardening in the spring. I follow the rules and never have trouble keeping it under control, or with the authorities. I have a little private party with hot coffee and my iPad. I use a propane "flame thrower" to light it and back-burn the perimeters. That puppy sounds like an F16!

My fire is strictly for garden waste and tree trimmings. Any form of trash or garbage is illegal to burn here.

An elderly lady across the street got a big fat ticket for burning out of season.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Set a slash pile alight yesterday. About 10 ft high and 25 in diameter. Wet as hell. 15 gallons of diesel and two bales of straw, Got most of the center to go. Neighbors didn't complain. Couple stopped by to admire it once it got going.

As soon as it's light enough I'll go see what's left, but pretty sure I'll be piling the remains into a new pile and try to get it going again.

Be nice to have a excavator with a thumb right about now.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve

Be nice to have a excavator with a thumb right about now.

Yes, yes it is. smile

LOL
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

It's not that they light them.

It's that they don't know WHEN to light them. wink

I still have more than a few from Hurricane Harvey to burn. Maybe after some spring rain on a calm day....

We put out TWO that lit them on whatever day the 40mph wind was forecast to hit.... And got damn lucky on both of them. So did structure owners...although we almost got trapped in a narrow lane with one of the brush trucks...but I don't care what the chief says later, I'll back out and over and through fences to get turned around...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
In the summer the county will declare a fire permit season. The permit's free. All it's for is so they know who's burning so they don't send out fire trucks every time someone reports a little smoke. They can just make a quick call to the permit holder to see if he's burning at that time.

Here, you are simply asked to call in to dispatch ANY time you light a fire. That way we don't get paged out for nothing... its SO easy to dial and give em your name and phone number and address....and so much less work for me. ANY page I get is an hour minimum of my personal time.... 353 pages last year...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Here, you are simply asked to call in to dispatch ANY time you light a fire. That way we don't get paged out for nothing... its SO easy to dial and give em your name and phone number and address....and so much less work for me. ANY page I get is an hour minimum of my personal time.... 353 pages last year...

I always call, or tell my neighbor across the street in advance when I wanna burn. He's the VFD fire chief here.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My dad used to burn brush on the back of our place. There was a church about 1/4 mile away, boy scouts used to meet in the basement, which was only a couple hundred yards from where he'd burn. One evening he came back to the house shaking his head, he'd gone to check on the pile and found the boy scouts "putting out the forest fire."

You'd think a neatly-piled 8-foot tall stack of brush with the leaves raked away from it on all sides would have been a tip-off, especially for boy scouts.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I grew up just burning pine needles when you needed to burn 'em. No calling anybody for permission, or to let em know you was thinking about doin' it. Times have changed. Especially for those of us dealing with California transplants as neighbors.

LOL
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I always call, or tell my neighbor across the street in advance when I wanna burn. He's the VFD fire chief here.

I know folks don't like to waste that minute of time... but please think of the folks that get to respond at all hours, when a snowflake drives by and says oh my...

One of our last was a structure fire page... so we had a full response for once. Chief, Engine, Engine 1-2, Tanker and a couple of grass trucks... to find the place thats a 20 minute drive, was burning trash in a barrel in the back yard behind the house....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I once lit a six foot tall pile of tires by accident one time.

That got everyone's attention for miles around.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Around here they call if they see smoke in the distance. Not a clue what is burning.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,406 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,050
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.