Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I've been hunting in Vermont for 3 years now, taken two deer over that time. Last year during our muzzleloader season, I was hunting a distant relative's property for the first time. One other gentleman was hunting there as well whom I actually bumped into on my way through the woods.

Around 8:30am, I had a line of doe come through and I placed a shot on the largest one I saw. About 60 seconds later I heard a shot presumably from the other hunter. As I got up to track the doe, I came upon him standing with the deer down about 50 yards from where I had shot.

My shot was a little far back, puncturing the diaphram and grazed the stomach from what I could tell. (Maybe a bit of lung? There was a pretty heavy bright blood trail) His shot was on the spine at the base of the neck.

We were both unsure what to do next. After a friendly conversation, dressing the deer together, and some hem and hawing, I decided to offer up the deer for him to tag.

Seems that this is a coin toss situation. Some people I talk to say first blood should take the harvest (within a reasonable distance), others say kill shot. I'm curious of your folks' input!

A True Leader knows the way, shows the way and goes the way.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Give him the deer.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would offer him the deer. Courtesy goes a long way.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If it goes the court, most often it goes to whoever put it down. Have not lost any deer that way, but was tracking a 5 by elk that did not fall for me when another member of our party put it down just ahead of me.

May never have gotten it by myself, as my shot first passed through a smallish pine before taking out just one lung. Had a great blood trail initially, but it was drying up after a 150 yds or so.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/11/18.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think you did the right thing.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MGunns
I think you did the right thing.

I agree. Be glad it wasn’t a nice Buck.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thanks guy, I felt like I did the right thing but I will never try to shoot a deer someone else already shot. Preventing this kinda situation.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back in the days there was tons of hunters where I hunt in Ohio. Seemed the unwritten gentleman's rule was that whoever knocked the deer down for the final time could claim it for theirs. I didnt necessarily like or agree with it but that was the custom so I lived with it and made a lot of shoulder shots to try and anchor the deer down.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Back in the days there was tons of hunters where I hunt in Ohio. Seemed the unwritten gentleman's rule was that whoever knocked the deer down for the final time could claim it for theirs. I didnt necessarily like or agree with it but that was the custom so I lived with it and made a lot of shoulder shots to try and anchor the deer down.

Shoulder shot it best bullet placement right ?
I guess 2018 hunt will be much better for me and y’all.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Seems like you managed and thats what matters. Doesn't matter what the rest might do.

But since you asked. I could really care less, if "my" deer means that much to you then its yours. If you just helped me and think its mine, then I'm good with that too.

Life is to short to worry over a deer.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by rost495
Seems like you managed and thats what matters. Doesn't matter what the rest might do.

But since you asked. I could really care less, if "my" deer means that much to you then its yours. If you just helped me and think its mine, then I'm good with that too.

Life is to short to worry over a deer.

Yeah you are right, there's always another season.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'd give it to him. It's just a deer.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There are plenty of deer. You get more days in the woods. The old guy fills one more tag before his hunting days are over. You're now a legend at the country store, where the old guy tells the story like he pulled one over on you. Word gets around you're a good enough guy. Welcome to Vermont. You obviously belong here.

Last edited by mrchongo; 01/12/18.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I agree that you did the right thing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
put a 24" 175class rack on it and start this thread over.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Now you guys make me feel a lot better, have a big smile one my face.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by srwshooter
put a 24" 175class rack on it and start this thread over.

True Dat!

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
You did the right thing.

A friend of mine had the same situation happen this year only it was an 8 point buck. When he went up to the guy to discuss it, the man's son had already joined him. The man who killed the buck was in his 80's and this was his last year to hunt, so he was thrilled to have killed a nice buck. My friend shook his hand and congratulated him on his kill. The son walked away from his dad with my buddy and gave him a heartfelt thank you.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You made first contact, why not consider the other guy a douche for not giving YOU the deer? He could've at least been a gentleman himself and offered you a backstrap.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by landlord44
I've been hunting in Vermont for 3 years now, taken two deer over that time. Last year during our muzzleloader season, I was hunting a distant relative's property for the first time. One other gentleman was hunting there as well whom I actually bumped into on my way through the woods.

Around 8:30am, I had a line of doe come through and I placed a shot on the largest one I saw. About 60 seconds later I heard a shot presumably from the other hunter. As I got up to track the doe, I came upon him standing with the deer down about 50 yards from where I had shot.

My shot was a little far back, puncturing the diaphram and grazed the stomach from what I could tell. (Maybe a bit of lung? There was a pretty heavy bright blood trail) His shot was on the spine at the base of the neck.

We were both unsure what to do next. After a friendly conversation, dressing the deer together, and some hem and hawing, I decided to offer up the deer for him to tag.

Seems that this is a coin toss situation. Some people I talk to say first blood should take the harvest (within a reasonable distance), others say kill shot. I'm curious of your folks' input!

I wonder where he copied this from...

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

441 members (117LBS, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 2,700 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,972
Posts18,499,375
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.